Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Zucchini Snacks (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/444690-zucchini-snacks.html)

Kevinpa 08-21-2006 09:56 AM

Zucchini Snacks
 
I had originally posted these in an eggplant thread but thought I should put them in a zucchini thread so they would be easier to find.

Parmasan Zucchini Snack

1 medium Zucchini (sliced in 1/2 to 1/4 in. rounds)
1 egg
1 t. EVOO
1/3 c. parmasan cheese

Line cookie pan with parchment or non stick foil for easy cleanup.
preheat oven to 400.

fork mix egg and EVOO in small dish
put parmasan cheese in another

salt both side of Zucchini and fork middles several times

Coat each zucchini with egg mixture then cheese and arrange on cookie pan.

bake 12 mins each side the broil 2 min each side

Crunchy Cheesey outside
soft and tasty inside

Nice snack or side dish.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...inpa1/pz38.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...inpa1/pz41.jpg
Parmasan Zucchini Fries
1 medium Zucchini (julian sliced)
2 egg
1 t. EVOO
1/4 c. parmasan cheese
2 T. wheat bran
2 T. lc bread crumbs

Line cookie pan with non stick foil for easy cleanup.
preheat oven to 400.

fork mix egg and EVOO in small dish
mix parmasan cheese, wheat bran, and lc bread crumbs and put in another.


Coat each zucchini with egg mixture then cheese mixture and arrange on cookie pan.

bake 12 mins then broil 5 min. (no flipping necessary)

season to taste!!

Can you spell French Fries????

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...044_284172.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...046_423630.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...047_722584.jpg

Charski 08-21-2006 11:02 AM

Yep, that's how mine turn out too except I just use the eggwhite - it's "stickier" and not as "eggy" tasting that way.

LOVE my ovenfried zucchini stix!

Remember those deepfried breaded zucchini slices they had at Carl's Jr?! Man I used to love to get those and some criss-cut fries AND a burger AND a regular Coke! Way back when of course!

TiffyT 08-21-2006 02:05 PM

Kevin, you should open an lc restaurant. I would come to it!!!!

Go steelers!! :)

melo42 08-21-2006 05:23 PM

yes so would I. YUMMY !!!!

eshlemania 08-21-2006 06:21 PM

Kevin,
You will have to open a chain of restaurants. Cause all of us would want to come!!


Thanks for all your hard work spicing up our lives.

Bev

Dottie 08-22-2006 04:35 AM

Looks great :)

Dreamchaser 08-22-2006 07:27 AM

Looks awesome. Kevin, do you use real parmesan cheese or the kind in the green can?

TiffyT 08-22-2006 07:36 AM

Kevin - How did you get that zucchini cut into such beautifully shaped "fries". Did you do that with a paring knife? Nice work!!

Kevinpa 08-22-2006 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamchaser
Looks awesome. Kevin, do you use real parmesan cheese or the kind in the green can?

yes, that is the Kraft grated parmesan cheese I used.

Kevinpa 08-22-2006 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiffyT
Kevin - How did you get that zucchini cut into such beautifully shaped "fries". Did you do that with a paring knife? Nice work!!

I use my handy dandy Chefmate Mandolin slicer with julienne blade. I also use that slicer when I make zucchini noodles.

gotogirl 08-22-2006 12:01 PM

Those look wonderful. I used to eat those at a fav seafood restaurant. They served them with ranch dressing with just a smidgen of horseradish to dip them in. I'm fixing some as soon as I buy some zucchini.
Thanks, Kevin.

Strawberry 08-22-2006 07:46 PM

YUMMMMM!! I am so glad you posted these here or I would have missed them!
I am definitely going to make these this coming weekend, or sooner if I get a chance!

I would definitely come to any resturant Kevin opened!

terez 08-22-2006 07:56 PM

Those zucchini sticks and slices look awesome. I'm always amazed at the resourcfulness of people that post here. I can hardly wait until the temprature goes below 70 degrees so I can turn on the convection oven and get to work. I think I might try a little bit milder cheese, like a sap sago, or something dried. And maybe use some salt free Spike for seasoning. But the ranch+horseradish sauce sounds like a Sunday afternoon dream. I know in a restaurant, you'd pay about $8 for a side dish like this.

beachbumwannabe 08-23-2006 05:55 AM

What do you use for low carb breadcrumbs?

ebonyeyz28 08-23-2006 06:19 AM

Kevin, let's get married! :love: :p

Kevinpa 08-23-2006 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momofallboys
What do you use for low carb breadcrumbs?

I make my breadcrumbs out of low-carb bread in one of 2 ways. When I see a loaf of LC bread is going stale, I cut the slices into fingers and dry them out on a cookie sheet in the oven. Then crush and store in a ziplock. I usually have a bag made up in advance since we don't really eat that much bread anymore. If I don't have any made ahead then I will pop a slice in the toaster on low till dry then crush and use that.

4C also makes a LC breadcrumbs you can buy at most grocery stores.

beachbumwannabe 08-23-2006 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa
I make my breadcrumbs out of low-carb bread in one of 2 ways. When I see a loaf of LC bread is going stale, I cut the slices into fingers and dry them out on a cookie sheet in the oven. Then crush and store in a ziplock. I usually have a bag made up in advance since we don't really eat that much bread anymore. If I don't have any made ahead then I will pop a slice in the toaster on low till dry then crush and use that.

4C also makes a LC breadcrumbs you can buy at most grocery stores.


Thanks!!

1BellaDonna 08-23-2006 12:15 PM

Thanks for sharing! i ADORE zucchini!

SugarBabi 08-23-2006 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa
I make my breadcrumbs out of low-carb bread in one of 2 ways. When I see a loaf of LC bread is going stale, I cut the slices into fingers and dry them out on a cookie sheet in the oven. Then crush and store in a ziplock. I usually have a bag made up in advance since we don't really eat that much bread anymore. If I don't have any made ahead then I will pop a slice in the toaster on low till dry then crush and use that.

4C also makes a LC breadcrumbs you can buy at most grocery stores.

Not to threadjack too much here, but what brand of low carb bread do you buy (if you don't mind me asking)? I've tried several brands and most of them, even toasted, were less than desirable. I'd like to find a brand that is decent just for occasional use and breadcrumbs. Any recommendations?

Kevinpa 08-23-2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarBabi
Not to threadjack too much here, but what brand of low carb bread do you buy (if you don't mind me asking)? I've tried several brands and most of them, even toasted, were less than desirable. I'd like to find a brand that is decent just for occasional use and breadcrumbs. Any recommendations?

Sugar, I'm not talking toast here I am talking crumbs. When you dry any bread to that point it becomes crumbs.....no difference between it and reg bread other than the carbs. But lately the brand I have been using is Brownberry carb counting. I also have low carb bread in my freezer that I had been buying at a local bakery but they since have discontinued making it. I have been trying to get them to sell me the recipe but todate we have not agreed on a price yet.

SugarBabi 08-23-2006 03:06 PM

Thanks Kevin. I have a freezer shelf of nothing but bad tasting lc breads that I have tried over the last few months. I'm very happy to know that I can at least use them for bread crumbs. I didn't know that and I appreciate the tip.

I do hope you can obtain the LC bread recipe from the bakery. (got my fingers crossed for ya!) :)

Strawberry 08-24-2006 07:55 PM

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

I just made these!! They are delicious!!
Highly recommended!

Edited to add: I made the first recipe with the round slices of zucchini and egg and parmesan.

raini 09-07-2009 10:19 PM

Bumping this yummy recipe because it is ZUCCHINI season!!!!!

MustLoveDogs08 09-08-2009 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 7379538)
yes, that is the Kraft grated parmesan cheese I used.

Looks great, but I'm not a parm lover...:( Could you use a little shredded mozzarella?

Kevinpa 09-08-2009 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustLoveDogs08 (Post 12451819)
Looks great, but I'm not a parm lover...:( Could you use a little shredded mozzarella?

Although I have never tried it and speak only from opinion, I don't think mozzarella would have the right texture for these. If you try it, please let us know how it turns out.

tinatina 09-11-2009 07:24 AM

I love the zuchinni snacks and I'm not a big zuchinni fan!!!

raini 09-11-2009 02:36 PM

:mad: I TOLD dh to plant a lot of zucchini because I love it! Now he says that we are all out of zucchini and that no more is growing. I'm thinking that was about a total of 5 zucchini for the season. Grrrrr! :mad: What part of "plant a lot of zucchini because I love it" didn't he understand?

tinatina 09-12-2009 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raini (Post 12468442)
:mad: I TOLD dh to plant a lot of zucchini because I love it! Now he says that we are all out of zucchini and that no more is growing. I'm thinking that was about a total of 5 zucchini for the season. Grrrrr! :mad: What part of "plant a lot of zucchini because I love it" didn't he understand?

MEN! :annoyed:

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 09-12-2009 11:20 AM

Kevin, What is 4 C. Ihave never heard of it. And, it's in the grocery store?

Kevinpa 09-12-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE (Post 12471302)
Kevin, What is 4 C. Ihave never heard of it. And, it's in the grocery store?

They are a company that sells bread crumbs, tea, and cheese. back in 2006 when I posted this they made a LC bread crumbs but as many other LC products it was discontinued.:annoyed:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:49 AM.