Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006, 12:05 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbcontender View Post
The polyD in this case is to help soften it or is this more a formula to replace isomalt?

I'm finding the 1/2 c. SF syrup you put in for your flavor is sweet enough. I haven't added any extra sweetners but all the batches of ice cream have been very good and very sweet.

I'd love to try the glycerin to soften it up though, because it does get rock hard in the freezer, but the extra sweetening taste might be tricky since it's already sweet enough.
I think I got the proportions wrong, I'll have to go back to the Eades' blog and read it again (as to how much PDX they use per liter). I do use the glycerine but it's more like a Tbsp per 200-400 ml, not per liter, to maintain scoopability. One still has to take the stuff out of the freezer and let it sit for 5 minutes, but I have always done that with ANY ice cream, including my DH's Haagen Daz.

For me, since I don't add the SF syrup in my recipes but use full pure vanilla extract (or vanilla bean if I'm feeling flush!), I do add other sweeteners (my own blend) and I account for the sweetness of the glycerin in this way.

~~~later~~~

Yes, I've gone back and checked Dr. Mary Dan Eades' blog post about the ice cream, and here is what she says:
"By educated guessing and some trial and error, I arrived at an amount of polydextrose to add to a batch of ice cream that would achieve the desired mouthfeel without causing much in the way of GI side effects.

And the answer is: 1/3 to 1/2 cup per 1 quart batch.
"

Hope I didn't mislead anyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2006, 12:11 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbcontender View Post
The polyD in this case is to help soften it or is this more a formula to replace isomalt?...
Oops. Forgot this part.

Actually, a little bit of both, but mostly to "soften" it, technically to depress the freezing point so it doesn't form ice, especially in big crystals. Isomalt, like most polyols, will do that to some extent, but it also provides a lot of sweetness -- which of course PDX doesn't do. Think of PDX as the sugar without the sweet. :blush:

And did you ask what IIRC meant? It's "If I Remember Correctly".

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:52 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR="Red"]Thanks Jude!!!!
IIRC - of course. Sometimes my poor brain just won't work to figure these things out. [/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #64
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Maggy
Stats: 158/123/125 height 5'5
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/05
bump
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
OMG, I just had an ougtrageously declicous thought!! My birthday is coming up in a couple weeks or so. I'm thinking I'm make your chocolate mint icecream (my very favorite kind) and your chocolate cake. Or maybe your chocolate brownies. Wouldnt that be decedent? Chocolate brownies topped with icecream!!
hirezmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #66

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirezmary View Post
OMG, I just had an ougtrageously declicous thought!! My birthday is coming up in a couple weeks or so. I'm thinking I'm make your chocolate mint icecream (my very favorite kind) and your chocolate cake. Or maybe your chocolate brownies. Wouldnt that be decedent? Chocolate brownies topped with icecream!!
Try the zucchini brownies, its a cross between cake and brownies and a favorite of mine.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Try the zucchini brownies, its a cross between cake and brownies and a favorite of mine.
mine too, add some sf choc chips after it comes out of the oven and slice them up before the chocolate sets....top off w/vanilla lc ice cream...yummm!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:50 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jstarh
I made this and have a question. I measured exactly and still the xanthan gum made the consistency of slime. Am I the only one with this problem? Every time I use xanthan I get those results. It is very disgusting to us. We love whole okra but it is the same consistency as when okra get slimy.....

What am I doing wrong? Is there another kind of gum that can be used? I cant afford thicken thin.

Thanks!!!!
Looking forward to correcting this the freezing part was perfect and the actual flavor amazing!
jstarh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #69

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarh View Post
I made this and have a question. I measured exactly and still the xanthan gum made the consistency of slime. Am I the only one with this problem? Every time I use xanthan I get those results. It is very disgusting to us. We love whole okra but it is the same consistency as when okra get slimy.....

What am I doing wrong? Is there another kind of gum that can be used? I cant afford thicken thin.

Thanks!!!!
Looking forward to correcting this the freezing part was perfect and the actual flavor amazing!

To be honest, I now use whatever gum i have or none at all. The most important texture ingredient in this recipe is the Isomalt to mimic the properties of sugar.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
SAVING
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote