Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bassetmom
Hi Kevin, I just had a chance to make the mint version (made a vanilla one last week & it is great) and I used Trishz's liquid splenda (3/4 teaspoon equals 1/2 cup sugar) & the pre-melted chocolate and it turned into a glob of fudge in the cup. No way to "drizzle" through feed tube in the ice cream maker. I'm thinking it did this because there's more "liquid" in this than the Sweetzfree splenda? Anyway just wanted to let anyone know who might be using something like Fiberfit or a liquid sweetner other than Sweetzfree you might have the same problem I had. Very good ice cream though, just no chips for me
Unfortunately, isomalt is affecting me a lot more than polyd does:blush:
Thanks, Kathy
bassetmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetmom View Post
and I used Trishz's liquid splenda (3/4 teaspoon equals 1/2 cup sugar) & the pre-melted chocolate and it turned into a glob of fudge in the cup. No way to "drizzle"
I'm sorry the Isomalt doesn't agree with you. May I ask how much of the Ice cream you ate to have it bother you?

I am also curious what the texture of your pre-melt was before adding the liquid splenda. Was it very thick or had you worked the un-opened package a tad with your fingers before opening it making it flow smoothly?
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:31 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Kevin, my chocolate was new, bought last week and it flowed right out into the measuring cup. As I was mixing in the liquid Splenda it didn't really want to mix, almost like the Splenda just floated on the top. By the time I got it combined it was "fudge". I do have Sweetzfree so I'll try again and see if that's the difference. I'm assuming you did use Sweetzfree and it would only be 1/8 t. liquid?
I mostly make these for DH who is diabetic, but he has no problem with SA's. I made meringue cookies, just mostly egg whites & sugar (isomalt) and ate 4 small ones and started to get a stomachache. Bummer. BTW isomalt was just like sugar, the meringues are very crisp. I only ate a spoonful of the ice cream and it wasn't enough to cause any problem. But it's like torture to only have a spoonful of this ice cream Thanks for posting & it makes a very good vanilla version too, probably any flavor.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Sorry, don't mean to thread jack, but do you measure by weight the isomalt? Mine seems so heavy, I'm thinking maybe I'm using too much. The meringue recipe used 1 cup sugar to 6 egg whites. So I measured out 1 cup isomalt and "powdered" it, since it's so granular. Maybe that's my "tummy" problem, because I use Diabetisweet usually no problem but never by itself, always a combo of sweetners. Thanks
Old 09-13-2006, 04:03 PM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

I would never used Isomalt as a single or main sweetener in a recipe for a couple reasons. First, it is only 40% as sweet as sugar and second, I only want to use enough to get the sugar like properties from it and minimize any chance of having tummy troubles from it unless there was no other way. But this is just my personal philosophy.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 09-13-2006 at 04:05 PM..
Old 09-13-2006, 11:07 PM   #36
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Quote:
I made meringue cookies, just mostly egg whites & sugar (isomalt) and ate 4 small ones and started to get a stomachache. Bummer. BTW isomalt was just like sugar, the meringues are very crisp. I only ate a spoonful of the ice cream and it wasn't enough to cause any problem. But it's like torture to only have a spoonful of this ice cream Thanks for posting & it makes a very good vanilla version too, probably any flavor.
Kathy, one important facet to SA (and polyd) sensitivity is set/setting. Other than the trace amounts of egg whites in meringues, you're basically consuming pure isomalt. This is going to create a much different effect than isomalt ice cream where the fat and protein help to mitigate the impact. For instance, I hear a few stories of people being sensitive to polyd, and yet, I hear almost no complaints regarding polyd/sorbitol carbsmart ice cream, a product being consumed by thousands of people every day. I'm sure a factor in this equation is the other ingredients in the ice cream.

With a lc woe, it's very difficult, but consuming these types of foods on a full stomach helps.

Also, like polyd, isomalt, to an extent, can be acclimated to. It may just be a matter of having a little ice cream every day for a while until your body gets used to it.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:21 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Kevin and Scott, Thanks for the replies Scott I think that's exactly what happened, I ate the cookies on an empty stomach one afternoon. I think when the cookie "incident" happened I was thinking "oh no-Maltitol!" This ice cream is so easy and I like the fact it doesn't have any eggs in it too. I'm going to have the full 1/2 cup tonight Thanks again, Kathy
Old 09-25-2006, 09:26 AM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LauraFL
Stats: 230.2/226.8/170 5'6.5"
WOE: What day is it? *scratches head*
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
With a lc woe, it's very difficult, but consuming these types of foods on a full stomach helps.
We had some ice cream yesterday about 2 hours after eating and we all got intestinal distress from the isomalt. It makes you so gassy even though the gas doesn't smell like anything.
Quote:
Also, like polyd, isomalt, to an extent, can be acclimated to. It may just be a matter of having a little ice cream every day for a while until your body gets used to it.
I've been experimenting with ice cream recipes and have had a small amount every day but that hasn't helped. If anything I seem to be getting worse not better. Any ideas?
LauraFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:41 AM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Unfortunately, the effect that a SA has on somebody is very pesonal and varied.
So far maltitol has that effect on me no matter what amount I consume so I have to avoid it.
Fortunately though Isomalt in a 1 serving proportion does not do that to me so that is my SA of choice.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:44 AM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Kevin,This ice cream recipe is DA BOMB!! We all loved it! I think I made it last week or the week before, but since then I've adjusted the recipe and made cherry vanilla using vanilla DaVinci's and cherry extract, and adding in about 1 c. chopped black cherries. (Frozen then thawed.)It is SO good you can't tell the difference between this and store bought ice cream made with sugar!!

I also dumped the heavy cream as it's just too darn heavy. We like the half & half a lot better. Made butter pecan this week too, twice, using vanilla macadamia nut SF syrup the first time, which was ok. But the second time I used vanilla SF syrup, vanilla nut extract, added in a T. of SF maple syrup and roasted the pecans before adding them in. WOW!! This recipe is just unbelievable Kevin! It's so versatile that it seems to work with everything. Can't wait to make blueberry and for the holidays Pumpkin pie and EGGNOG!! I've already got two bottles of the eggnog, but gotta see if they make pumpkin pie. Even if they don't there are ways around that with spices.

Thanks so much for this GREAT recipe Kevin! Now if we could just get over the isomalt sensitivity.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:00 AM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh Kevin, forgot to tell you, I used the Eat Well Be Well chocolate chips in the mint chocolate chip ice cream, and just didn't add any Sweetzfree at all. It worked out perfectly as far as the sweetness balance goes, but I'm not crazy about the taste of those, so next time will just use the unsweetened baking chocolate and add the liquid Splenda. Also added 5 drops of green food coloring which made it look exactly like the store bought stuff. Loved it!!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

I made blueberry ice cream today using this recipe. It is not only beautiful but tastes delicious. Only problem.....I'm really sick right now. I ate a 1/2 c. serving after lunch. Two hours later got sick and have been running to the toidy ever since. I'm SO disappointed since this is such an incredible recipe. Hope this isn't a stupid question, but could I substitute polyD instead of the isomalt? [COLOR="Sienna"](Keep in mind I'm still not all that swift on how all this stuff works.)[/COLOR] I think I'm through with isomalt for good. This is so disappointing.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:45 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbcontender View Post
... and for the holidays Pumpkin pie and EGGNOG!! I've already got two bottles of the eggnog, but gotta see if they make pumpkin pie. Even if they don't there are ways around that with spices...
DaVinci makes Gingerbread (pretty much the same mix of spices as Pumpkin Pie Spice, but this is a fairly mild syrup) and Spice Blend (more intense, I love this one).

I use the DaVinci Spice Blend if I want the SF syrup in my recipes, and highly recommend it, or I use my own homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice blend.

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:48 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, Kevin, I've been using Scharffenberger Cocoa Nibs instead of chocolate chips lately, in my ice creams. Expensive stuff, but SOOOOOOOO good. TDF!

Maybe I'll make less ice cream this way ...

Old 09-26-2006, 07:02 PM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
Oh, Kevin, I've been using Scharffenberger Cocoa Nibs instead of chocolate chips lately, in my ice creams. Expensive stuff, but SOOOOOOOO good. TDF!

Maybe I'll make less ice cream this way ...

Do you get it local ? I have never seen it around here.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Do you get it local ? I have never seen it around here.
Sort of. The Gourmet Warehouse in Vancouver at one point, and Pusatieri's (sp?) in Toronto.

So, a high end Kitchen Store and/or a large "gourmet" delicatessan should be able to help you out. I'm sure there is such a thing somewhere in Pennsylvania?

When all else fails, at the least there is excellent info on chocosphere...and they carry a 3# bulk bag! ...and of course scharffenberger will sell them online.

Last edited by theislandgirl; 09-26-2006 at 07:27 PM..
Old 09-28-2006, 07:39 AM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
DaVinci makes Gingerbread (pretty much the same mix of spices as Pumpkin Pie Spice, but this is a fairly mild syrup) and Spice Blend (more intense, I love this one).
Thanks islandgirl. I will definitely try the spice blend as I like the more intense flavors too!

Kevin, what do you think of replacing the isomalt in this ice cream recipe with polyD? Do you think it would work? Have you ever made an ice cream with polyD? I'm thinking since it's so much lighter in weight than isomalt you may have to add more than 1/2 c.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:57 AM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbcontender View Post
Kevin, what do you think of replacing the isomalt in this ice cream recipe with polyD? Do you think it would work? Have you ever made an ice cream with polyD? I'm thinking since it's so much lighter in weight than isomalt you may have to add more than 1/2 c.
PolyD is not a sweetener so a 1 for 1 sub does not work in that way.

I personally would not since polyd in that amount affects me much like you say isomalt does you.

As far as will it work texture-wise, I would guess you would have to use it in combination with other ingredients. I don't have a recipe nor have I ever tried it though.

I believe Binky has a PolyD recipe she can or may have posted,

Last edited by Kevinpa; 09-28-2006 at 08:03 AM..
Old 09-28-2006, 11:32 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR="Red"]Kevin, (or Scott, or whoever)

I guess my question is twofold. First, I don't have Isomalt (pure), but do have Diabetesweet. Do you think I could sub the DiabetiSweet for the Isomalt?

Second, I don't like to make cooked ice cream, I like mine "raw", and I ALWAYS use eggs. We like ours with the eggs. Just our preference. So, I'd be using my recipe, just subbing DiabetiSweet for at least some of the sugar substitute. I'm just wanting to try to sofen it up.

I did try PolyD, but possibly didn't use enough of it, as it didn't help with the softness. Still like a rock after it is in the freezer for awhile.

Can't do your recipe for the mint choclate chip, as I have the old fashioned 1 gallon kind, that you can't add to after it is churning. (It is an electric, not a hand crank.) [/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
[COLOR="Red"]First, I don't have Isomalt (pure), but do have Diabetesweet. Do you think I could sub the DiabetiSweet for the Isomalt?

Second, I don't like to make cooked ice cream, I like mine "raw", and I ALWAYS use eggs. We like ours with the eggs. Just our preference. So, I'd be using my recipe, just subbing DiabetiSweet for at least some of the sugar substitute. I'm just wanting to try to sofen it up.[/COLOR]

I'll answer your first question with a question. Have you ever used Diabetesweet in this large of a proportion before and if you have what was you reaction to the taste?

For my money there is too much Ace-K in it and I concider the taste awful in larger proportions. For that reason I would not use it....you may have a differeent opinion. But it should work pretty much the same.

As for the second question, i have never made ice cream LC or regular with raw eggs so I don't know what it would do to the ice cream.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:10 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Kevin wrote: I'll answer your first question with a question. Have you ever used Diabetesweet in this large of a proportion before and if you have what was you reaction to the taste?

For my money there is too much Ace-K in it and I concider the taste awful in larger proportions. For that reason I would not use it....you may have a differeent opinion. But it should work pretty much the same.

As for the second question, i have never made ice cream LC or regular with raw eggs so I don't know what it would do to the ice cream.
[COLOR="Red"]Thanks Kevin,

First question: No, I haven't used it in large amounts. Have barely used it at all yet. Soooooo....... then maybe not.

Second question: Actually my question wasn't about the raw eggs. I know the answer for that for us. We love them. It was whether the Isomalt could be used without heating it. ? In other words, would it disolve OK in the cold milk/cream? [/COLOR]
Old 09-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
[COLOR="Red"]Thanks Kevin,

First question: No, I haven't used it in large amounts. Have barely used it at all yet. Soooooo....... then maybe not.

Second question: Actually my question wasn't about the raw eggs. I know the answer for that for us. We love them. It was whether the Isomalt could be used without heating it. ? In other words, would it disolve OK in the cold milk/cream? [/COLOR]
oh, no it needs to be heated to disolve. But you could always disove it 1st, let cool then add your eggs.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="Red"]OK, Thanks Kevin,
Sigh! That's what I was afraid of. I may order some pure Isomalt one of these days, and give it a try.
I'm happy with my original Sweetzfree (actually it used to be Zero Carb before Trish went out of business) recipe, except for it freezing so hard. I've been thinking of adding some glycerine, as I've seen some others here doing. Not really sure how much to add.

Again Thanks![/COLOR]
Old 09-28-2006, 12:40 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
[COLOR="Red"]OK, Thanks Kevin,
Sigh! That's what I was afraid of. I may order some pure Isomalt one of these days, and give it a try.
I'm happy with my original Sweetzfree (actually it used to be Zero Carb before Trish went out of business) recipe, except for it freezing so hard. I've been thinking of adding some glycerine, as I've seen some others here doing. Not really sure how much to add.

Again Thanks![/COLOR]
The Doctors Eades (of Protein Power fame) add 1 Tbsp of Polydextrose per Liter of Ice Cream Base, IIRC, and are happy with it. Might provide a starting point. Dissolved first in hot cream so you may have to modify some part of your method because it does need to be dissolved. You need to add your own preferred sweetener, and you could consider a mixture (half and half?) of the DiabetiSweet and the SweetzFree; you should get a pretty good synergy out of it.

I like a Tbsp of Glycerine per Liter of base, and I do dissolve it into the hot cream mixture; it adds quite a bit of sweetness as well.

Last edited by theislandgirl; 09-28-2006 at 12:51 PM..
Old 09-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
...I used Trishz's liquid splenda (3/4 teaspoon equals 1/2 cup sugar) & the pre-melted chocolate and it turned into a glob of fudge in the cup. No way to "drizzle" through feed tube in the ice cream maker. I'm thinking it did this because there's more "liquid" in this than the Sweetzfree splenda? Anyway just wanted to let anyone know who might be using something like Fiberfit or a liquid sweetner other than Sweetzfree you might have the same problem I had.
Vigorous stirring turns most chocolate forms into "ganache", a very thick emulsified form where the fats and proteins bond. Usually, in my experience, a certain amount of liquid (usually very small) causes chocolate to "break" (separate) rather than thicken up...but this premelted stuff probably has added oils to keep it liquid, so I lean to the "ganache" fudgy-like explanation .

Old 09-28-2006, 01:15 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Just wanted to post that I tried the premelted chocolate with Sweetzfree and it worked perfectly, no ganache this time BTW, on the polyd recipe sticky there's a recipe for Premium Vanilla Ice Cream (I believe by bettyr) that stays scoopable & is fantastic!
Old 09-28-2006, 08:19 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The Doctors Eades (of Protein Power fame) add 1 Tbsp of Polydextrose per Liter of Ice Cream Base, IIRC, and are happy with it. Might provide a starting point. Dissolved first in hot cream so you may have to modify some part of your method because it does need to be dissolved. You need to add your own preferred sweetener, and you could consider a mixture (half and half?) of the DiabetiSweet and the SweetzFree; you should get a pretty good synergy out of it.

I like a Tbsp of Glycerine per Liter of base, and I do dissolve it into the hot cream mixture; it adds quite a bit of sweetness as well.
[COLOR="Red"]
I actually used much more PolyD than that. I used 1/2 cup for the gal of ice cream. Didn't have any glycerin at the time. It was just as hard as when I didn't use PolyD after freezing in freezer. I didn't disolve it in hot water first, but it did disolve.
What may I ask is IIRC?

I'll try the glycerin next time I make ice cream, and either leave out the PolyD, or cut back. It seems to have a bit of an off taste now, but that may be from the vanilla I used. [/COLOR]
Old 09-29-2006, 06:29 AM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
PolyD is not a sweetener so a 1 for 1 sub does not work in that way.
I should've specified that I've got polyDPlus too. Maybe I'll fool around with it.

Quote:
I personally would not since polyd in that amount affects me much like you say isomalt does you.
I'm wondering if it was more the sorbitol (in the SF maple syrup I used for the butter pecan) combined with the isomalt that made the problem. My DH went to work on Monday and got such bad cramps and gas he thought he'd have to come home. Then Tuesday night he had a whole bowl of blueberry after dinner without one single problem.

Yesterday I had a 1/2 c. with lunch and didn't have a single problem. Not even so much as a single toot. Go figure! I think I had waited about 20 minutes after eating lunch that time before when I got so sick. Apparently it made a HUGE difference!
Old 09-29-2006, 06:34 AM   #59
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Just wanted to post that I tried the premelted chocolate with Sweetzfree and it worked perfectly, no ganache this time BTW, on the polyd recipe sticky there's a recipe for Premium Vanilla Ice Cream (I believe by bettyr) that stays scoopable & is fantastic!
I'll definitely check that out! Vanilla can be tweaked so many wonderful ways.

I forgot to mention, in case anyone else doesn't use the packaged premelted chocolate, I used the SF chocolate chips, but added butter to help them melt. My version of premelted chocolate was actually left over from another recipe where I needed melted chocolate and couldn't get it to melt well without adding in butter. So... I already had it on hand and used it, and it worked great for the mint chocolate chip ice cream. It flaked nicely once I put it into the ice cream maker.

Last edited by LauraFL; 09-29-2006 at 06:49 AM..
Old 09-29-2006, 06:44 AM   #60
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
The polyD in this case is to help soften it or is this more a formula to replace isomalt?

Quote:
I'm finding the 1/2 c. SF syrup you put in for your flavor is sweet enough. I haven't added any extra sweetners but all the batches of ice cream have been very good and very sweet.

I'd love to try the glycerin to soften it up though, because it does get rock hard in the freezer, but the extra sweetening taste might be tricky since it's already sweet enough.