Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Pecan Pie Anyone? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/443889-pecan-pie-anyone.html)

Kevinpa 08-16-2006 09:06 AM

Pecan Pie Anyone?

Pecan Pie
8 servings 5 carbs each.
Crust

1/3 c. + 1 T. shortening (I used crisco green with no trans fats)
3/4 c. Carbalose flour
1/4 c. resistant wheat starch
2 T. + 1 t. cold water
Cut shortening into flour until the particles are like small peas.
Sprinkle in water, 1 T. at a time tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry is clinging to the side of the bowl.

Roll out between 2 lightly dusted(WPI) sheets of wax paper.
Set dough into 9 inch pie plate.

Prick crust all over with a fork and set aside.

Filling

2 Eggs
1 Cup Mock Isomalt Light Corn Syrup (3:1 isomalt/water)
1/4 Cup Erythritol
1/2 cup equivalent liquid splenda
2 Tablespoons Carbalose flour
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1-1/2 Cups pecans

Preheat oven to 375.

Spread pecans in the unbaked 9-inch pie shell.

Mix remaining ingredients and pour over pecans.

Bake in 375 oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until filling is set.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/081ebff7.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/5622d062.jpg

jokath 08-16-2006 10:22 AM

Wow!!! It doesnt get any better than this Kevin!!!! Thanks...Christmas is now complete :kicking: :kicking:

Mel78 08-16-2006 10:28 AM

:notwrthy: :notwrthy: :notwrthy: AMEN :notwrthy: :notwrthy: :notwrthy:

I've been waiting on a final so I can complete my NETRITION shopping list for the holidays!!! :up:

Thanks again!!! :up:

jokath 08-16-2006 10:40 AM

Kevin when you refer to 'liquid Splenda' are you referring to Fiberfit? I dont have liquid splenda but I do have 'liquid fiberfit' and sweetzfree. How much of either one of these would I use to get '1/2 cup equivalent liquid splenda'?

Kevinpa 08-16-2006 11:52 AM

jokath, I always list eqiuvilents so you can adjust to whatever you have.

Quote:

1/2 cup equivalent liquid splenda
in the case of the 2 you listed

1/2 cup sweetener = 1 T. liquid fiberfit
or
1/2 cup sweetener = 1/8 t.(12 drops) sweetzfree

jokath 08-16-2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa
jokath, I always list eqiuvilents so you can adjust to whatever you have.

in the case of the 2 you listed

1/2 cup sweetener = 1 T. liquid fiberfit
or
1/2 cup sweetener = 1/8 t.(12 drops) sweetzfree

Thanks :up: thats what I thought I just wanted to make sure.

Freckles 08-16-2006 12:13 PM

The pie is a work of art! :notwrthy: It would be dangerous to make a pie like that more than once a year around here. I think you should change your avatar photo to the one you recently posted in response to another thread :D. Shame on you, er, uh, I mean Thanks! for sharing that delicious sounding recipe and those drool worthy photos :stars: . I may have to quit clicking on these threads before I am overcome by temptation...

magnamater 08-16-2006 01:39 PM

Kevin, have you had any problems tummy wise with the isomalt? in pie or otherwise.

Just checking before I leap to buy isomalt. . .I have about 30 lbs of polyD still, and if I'm gonna have problems anyway, I'll just use polyD. . .and avoid people.

Kevinpa 08-16-2006 01:56 PM

So far of the 3 things that I have made with it, I am pleasantly suprised. It has way less effect on me then polyD does. Eating single portions has basically been a non issue and I can't always say that about polyD.

Understand though, isomalt will not replace polyd in all applications. Personally I plan on keeping both in my pantry to have the choice of having what works best on hand.

parrotchic 08-16-2006 02:48 PM

So Kevin how does that beautiful pie taste?

Kevinpa 08-16-2006 02:54 PM

Just like I remember Pecan Pies tasting. Sweet caramely nutty chewy custard wrapped in a pie crust.

SugarBabi 08-16-2006 02:57 PM

Oh WOW!! I completely missed this thread. I know I asked you about this on the Isolmalt thread--oops!! It looks divine. Thanks for the visuals & the recipe.

sungoddess 08-16-2006 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa
So far of the 3 things that I have made with it, I am pleasantly suprised. It has way less effect on me then polyD does. Eating single portions has basically been a non issue and I can't always say that about polyD.

Understand though, isomalt will not replace polyd in all applications. Personally I plan on keeping both in my pantry to have the choice of having what works best on hand.

The pie is a work of art and you are a true artist. :notwrthy: I am glad to hear poly D affects others. I thought it was just me. I ate (too much) :dunno: ice cream that was made with poly D. It was delicious, but I paid in a big way. I was more sick in the bathroom with this than I have been with sugar alcohols. And it went on all night into the next day!! I am going to try this. Thanks so much.

Kevinpa 08-16-2006 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sungoddess
I am glad to hear poly D affects others. I thought it was just me.

The way these thing effect each of us personally is so different. 90 people could eat something without incident and then 10 others might be doubled over all night because of it. For that reason [COLOR=DarkRed]I would like to stress![/COLOR] So far I have not had more than 1 portion of something made with isomalt in a single day. And in that quanity it has had no laxtating effect on me.....beyond that is unknown how it effects me. Please understand YMMV as with any s/a product.

24Fan 08-17-2006 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokath
Wow!!! It doesnt get any better than this Kevin!!!! Thanks...Christmas is now complete :kicking: :kicking:

Man, that was my first thought! Now I can make pecan pah yummers! Thanks, Kevin.

parrotchic 08-17-2006 08:25 AM

Kevin, you should make some maple syrup and have pancakes. I haven't had those things in years. Now that I see you've created a good syrup base I've been wanting some pancakes with syrup.

Kevinpa 08-17-2006 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrotchic
Kevin, you should have pancakes with syrup.

Waffles maybe, but I was never a pancake kind of guy..... :laugh:

Divabunny 08-17-2006 09:30 AM

Kevinpa-- Most of your dessert recipes call for erythritol--is it absolutely necessary for the taste/texture of the recipe? The only sweetner I use is fiberfit or granular splenda if you can't sub liquid. Can the same be done with erythritol?

Kevinpa 08-17-2006 09:53 AM

Since you are talking in general, most of my recipes contain a little bit of erythritol and in about 90% of the cases it is to achieve a synergy of multiple sweeteners. Sometimes I use 2 and others I use 3.

If that synergy is not important to you then a single sweetener will work for you.

In my opinion, multiple sweetener synergy is neccessary to mimic the taste of things made with sugar.

Now if you are talking about this pie, if you do not use the isomalt syrup or something similar, it will not turn out for you.

jackieba 08-25-2006 06:50 AM

This sounds perfect to take my old high carb pecan pie recipe and tweak it to low carb--it will very similar to yours though--mine used a little more "syrup" and and one more egg; no flour. I may wait till cooler weather though--maybe netrition will have isomalt by then. This would be great for Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks Kevin.

magnamater 10-31-2006 02:02 PM

Bumping for the season.

Zuleikaa 11-23-2006 07:50 PM

Great pie. The texture was spot on. I added some molasses for color.

um_ahmad 11-23-2006 08:05 PM

yummyyyy

jackieba 12-27-2006 04:00 PM

Kevin,
I think I saw where you tried the isomalt syrup using Davinci's in place of water. I assume there's a reason you didn't do that for the pecan pie? I'm going to try the pie this week and it just seemed like the caramel DaVinci's would be a good match, decreasing the other liquid splenda. But maybe not.

Kevinpa 12-27-2006 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackieba (Post 7911850)
Kevin,
I think I saw where you tried the isomalt syrup using Davinci's in place of water. I assume there's a reason you didn't do that for the pecan pie? I'm going to try the pie this week and it just seemed like the caramel DaVinci's would be a good match, decreasing the other liquid splenda. But maybe not.

That was an after thought Jackie. I will be trying the carmel too the next time I make this pie and if it turns out as I suspect it will then I believe I will be updating the recipe that way.

jackieba 12-29-2006 10:20 AM

I keep looking at this recipe thinking I'm missing something--no butter? Is that correct? I just made the crust. I haven't tried one of your recipes that I didn't love so I feel guilty even asking; it's just that I've never seen a pecan pie recipe without butter. I do have a legitimate question though--should I let the Isomalt syrup cool before mixing/baking?

Kevinpa 12-29-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackieba (Post 7918613)
I keep looking at this recipe thinking I'm missing something--no butter? Is that correct? I just made the crust. I haven't tried one of your recipes that I didn't love so I feel guilty even asking; it's just that I've never seen a pecan pie recipe without butter. I do have a legitimate question though--should I let the Isomalt syrup cool before mixing/baking?

When I made this I had my syrup made up in advance so mine was cooled already. I made this pie from a HC recipe that had no butter in it. i don't think I have ever had 1 that called for butter in it but I just did a google on pecan pie recipe and found about a 50/50 split of with and without butter.....so I guess its your choice.....lol

CarolynF 12-29-2006 11:02 AM

Hey, Kevin..Do you think you could use Diabetisweet instead of the pure Isomalt? I don't have the isomalt? Any thoughts on this? Thanks..

crazywoman-n-wy 12-29-2006 11:50 AM

[COLOR=red]I've sure waited a long time to ask this question, but the 1 cup syrup - does that mean that you used 3 cups of isomalt & 1 cup water to get a cup of syrup? Also, do you have any idea how long you cooked the syrup? (will probably be different for me at my altitude anyway.)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Every time I make Isomalt syrup, it re-crystalizes pretty quickly. [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Matter of fact, I haven't found anything yet that didn't. I've tired adding polyD, xanthan, and thicknthin, as has been suggested here, but it always goes back to "sugar", whether it be Isomalt or Eryhitol. I think I did make a polyD syrup, that didn't. Think it had Sweetzfree in it to sweeten. I've forgotten now.[/COLOR]

Kevinpa 12-29-2006 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 7918780)
Hey, Kevin..Do you think you could use Diabetisweet instead of the pure Isomalt? I don't have the isomalt? Any thoughts on this? Thanks..

Diabetisweet would work Carolyn but I personally think the amount of Ace-k in it would give the pie a bad taste in that concentration.