Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2006, 04:38 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Isomalt Mock light corn syrup experiment

A 3 to 1 ratio of isomalt/water 7 to 10 minutes over medium heat and completely cooled in fridge showed absolutely no re-crystallization.

Clear with a taste and texture similar to light Karo.

This is some impressive stuff.

[COLOR=DarkRed]Thank you for your help Scott[/COLOR]

Last edited by Kevinpa; 08-16-2006 at 04:46 AM..
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2006, 06:16 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ebonyeyz28
Stats: Then: 274.5, size 28 Now:173, Size 12!
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: December 27, 2002
OMG Kevin I will love you forever if this is even CLOSE to the real thing! I see LC pecan pie in my future real, real soon!

Now, where do I get the Isomalt??!
ebonyeyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Food companies really should be paying you (Kevin) and Scott for this type of product development!!!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
I'm impressed. It's so amazing. I was reading about the Isomalt. It's the same thing they use to make those fancy ribbons, etc. for the sugar sculptures on TV. Pretty wild.

So whatcha gonna make outta that there corn syrup Kevin?
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

I made a Pecan Pie.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa
I made a Pecan Pie.
And is it the best low carb pecan pie ever?

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture if you have any left.

Psst--maybe you can bottle this stuff and sell it. I know I'd buy some. *grin*
Old 08-16-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Pecan Pie Anyone?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks Kevin. I somehow missed the other thread. Nice looking pie. Yum-Oh!!
Old 08-16-2006, 03:40 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Oh Wow Kevin- just curious. Do you think this could be used to make a marshmellow fluff? I haven't liked any of the recipes developed for fluff and I yearn for it.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:34 PM   #10
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
[QUOTE=Kevinpa]A 3 to 1 ratio of isomalt/water 7 to 10 minutes over medium heat and completely cooled in fridge showed absolutely no re-crystallization.

Clear with a taste and texture similar to light Karo.

This is some impressive stuff.

Kevin, do you keep this refrigerated? Is it possible to make fudge? I have to wait awhile before ordering the isomalt. I JUST received a shipment from Netrition. I, too, believe you should be paid or compensated in some way for your recipes; along with Scott 123, LindaSue and all the others who contribute their time and effort to come up with great tasting recipes! You guys really light up my day! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:32 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess
Do you think this could be used to make a marshmellow fluff?
I am just learning sungoddess, but from what I can tell at this point if it is something that calls for corn syrup this has good possibilities of recreating it. My problem now is so many things to try and not enough isomalt I only bought enough to do some experimenting and I can see that is disappearing fast.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:41 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
Kevin, do you keep this refrigerated? Is it possible to make fudge?
This is what I have found out since this morning. After several hours in the fridge, some re-crystallization does start to take place. Nothing drastic, it becomes noticably thicker and turns a milky color. Once heat is applied to it again it returns to a clear Karo like syrup.

For my purposes, I plan to make it as I go reather than store it in a liquid form. At 7 to 10 mins a batch, that is minimal effort to add to a recipe IMO.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/1/2003
Can isomalt be used alone as a sugar sub or do you need the synergy of mixing to get right flavor?
jlshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Jeanne isomalt is only 40% as sweet as sugar and would not make a stand alone sweetener. Also it has specific applications that it works well at such as candy, icing, chocolate but is not a good general sweetener.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:26 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
Start Date: 5/1/2003
Kevin,

Thank you for the info. BTW I love your humor in your siggys. I have borrowed them. Hope you don't mind.

I thought the price I found of $4.50 a pound was pretty good, but I guess I will keep looking based on a post on the other site.
jlshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:03 PM   #16
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
Is it possible to make fudge?
Absolutely. Isomalt is ideal for fudge. Fudge is one instance of the controlled crystallization of sugar. At this point I wouldn't know how to get isomalt to crystallize in the exact same way, but you could 'fudge' it (pun intended ) and powder the isomalt first to obtain the correct texture.

Isomalt is ideal in any recipe where powdered sugar could be used. Powdered sugar is not a traditional way to make fudge, but it works well, none the less.

Isomalt + little bit of splenda + little bit of xanthan gum = perfect powdered sugar

Maltitol works in powdered sugar, but isomalt is generally less laxating, less carby and less blood sugar impact. Erythritol has the right texture for powdered sugar but it's too cooling in it's undissolved form.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:22 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ebonyeyz28
Stats: Then: 274.5, size 28 Now:173, Size 12!
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: December 27, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Absolutely. Isomalt is ideal for fudge. Fudge is one instance of the controlled crystallization of sugar. At this point I wouldn't know how to get isomalt to crystallize in the exact same way, but you could 'fudge' it (pun intended ) and powder the isomalt first to obtain the correct texture.

Isomalt is ideal in any recipe where powdered sugar could be used. Powdered sugar is not a traditional way to make fudge, but it works well, none the less.

Isomalt + little bit of splenda + little bit of xanthan gum = perfect powdered sugar

Maltitol works in powdered sugar, but isomalt is generally less laxating, less carby and less blood sugar impact. Erythritol has the right texture for powdered sugar but it's too cooling in it's undissolved form.
Powdered sugar AND mock Karo?! My heart can't take it!*swooning*

Thanks Kevin and Scott you guys are my creative idols!
ebonyeyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:45 AM   #18
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Thanks, Scott! The holidays are right around the corner. I'd love to make some "real" fudge. I'll be buying some Isomalt soon! Hopefully Netrition will sell it! I am one of many who have it on the "wish list"..........
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RVlady
I've succumbed to temptation..Could not stand it anymore reading all these yummy recipes...just ordered 5 lbs. of isomalt. I should have it by the middle of next week and then I will shock DH with a pecan pie.
Connie
RVlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:17 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

When my small supply runs out I will be buying both granular and powdered this next time so I don't have to use my coffee grinder to make the powdered. The coffee grinder works ok but I imagine the kind you buy would be much finer.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:39 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

I tried a couple tests this morning subbing davinci for the water......OMG it was perfect. I tried it with carmel and peanutbutter.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #22
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Kevin ~ Is it better to powder the Isomalt when you are adding it to DaVinci syrup? Thanks for your help here.

Also, have you noticed any spots/dots or really they are lumps of undisolved Isomalt -- on the second day after making any type of syrup?

I made some the other day and it was clear, but the next day, it had some dots or spots or whatever in them and they were crunchy, so I have to think that some of the isomalt didn't dissolve and maybe I should have cooked it a bit longer or maybe powdering it first would resolve that.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

I did grind mine to a powder the first time I made it but tried it regular the 2nd time. It disolves quicker with the powder but I had no crunchy spots the next day with the granular. I use a small coffee grinder to powder mine. My food processor did not work very well.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:06 PM   #24
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thank you so much Kevin. I was thinking you had mentioned powdering the Isomalt on one of your threads, but I couldn't find it...it took me forever to find this one, but I'm a determined woman today. LOL

I'm going to try powdering it next time and I agree with you, it's much better to make it as you go. After being in the fridge a few days, one of my experiments kinda stays a bit sugary (like sugar grains), but I might not have heated it up enough. I'll try it again later on.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LauraFL
Stats: 230.2/226.8/170 5'6.5"
WOE: What day is it? *scratches head*
WOW!! So cool to find a "corn syrup" replacement AND a powdered sugar replacement on one thread!! Thanks Sugar for bringing this forward. I had never seen the original.

Just curious but why would you refridgerate this once you make it? (Other than past cooling it off?) You don't normally store corn syrup in the fridge, so why this?

My fudge recipe needs evaporated milk. Got any ideas for that Kevin?
LauraFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #26
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbcontender View Post
WOW!! So cool to find a "corn syrup" replacement AND a powdered sugar replacement on one thread!! Thanks Sugar for bringing this forward. I had never seen the original.

Just curious but why would you refridgerate this once you make it? (Other than past cooling it off?) You don't normally store corn syrup in the fridge, so why this?

You got me there. I have no idea, it's just that I cooked it, so I put it in the fridge...wasn't one of my better moments. LOL And I know so little about Isomalt, I didn't know if it would spoil just sitting on the counter, but I see now that it doesn't, at least not for a few days so far. It's great stuff for corn syrup.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Sugar, have you tried making any of Kevin's isomalt ice cream? BOY is that stuff good! The recipe is super easy to adapt too. I made some pina colada ice cream today, or I should say, I TRIED to, but even after 1 1/2 hours in the fridge it still wouldn't firm up in the freezer. (Heavy cream might have but I like the lighter taste of the Half&Half he recommends.) That is one thing I'm finding with that recipe. The longer I refridgerate before freezing the better. But my 20 minute attempt thawed my freezer out to the point where I won't be able to try again until the morning. ICE CREAM FOR BREAKFAST!!
Old 10-07-2006, 04:20 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I have not used it yet Laura but I plan on using Scotts recipe for lc evaporated milk.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Kevin!
Old 10-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #30
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Sugar, have you tried making any of Kevin's isomalt ice cream? BOY is that stuff good! The recipe is super easy to adapt too. I made some pina colada ice cream today, or I should say, I TRIED to, but even after 1 1/2 hours in the fridge it still wouldn't firm up in the freezer. (Heavy cream might have but I like the lighter taste of the Half&Half he recommends.) That is one thing I'm finding with that recipe. The longer I refridgerate before freezing the better. But my 20 minute attempt thawed my freezer out to the point where I won't be able to try again until the morning. ICE CREAM FOR BREAKFAST!!
Not yet...but I really want to. I have so many things I want to make lately, I just can't keep up. I alloted today just for cornbread testing..working on a second batch now and of course I had to make the real deal for the hubby too!! I still have 2 more recipes to try out and it's nearly 7pm...you can tell my day hasn't been the best, but I'm not giving up.

And coconut ice cream...yum, yum. I could eat ice cream for breakfast, no problem.

I have to defrost my freezer before I make ice cream, so I can make a spot for my ice cream tub (the round thing you freeze). Right now, it's a disaster. I have so many frozen low carby things I've made in there. (I know I should be eating them.) I have great organizing plans (in my mind)--the test is if my body will keep up. haha!!

But as soon as I do, I'll be posting. Got any suggestions for chocolate ice cream--what I should use for the chocolate?