Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LauraFL
Stats: 230.2/226.8/170 5'6.5"
WOE: What day is it? *scratches head*
For chocolate probably just SF chocolate syrup with vanilla extract. Oooooooh, you might even want to use coconut extract and throw in some unsweetened coconut along with drizzling in some melted chocolate. Melting the SF chocolate chips works fine. Then you'd have chocolate coconut!!

But I love just plain old light chocolate that tastes like a Fudgesicle so you could try it with just the SF chocolate syrup and vanilla extract. It's really an incredibly versatile recipe!

The flavor of the ice cream I made today is really good. I used Pineapple sf DaVinci's, coconut extract, and when it's close to frozen (in the tub while churning) I'll add 1/2 or 1/3 c. unsweetened coconut and 1/2 c. chopped pecans.

Yeah, it's my tub that got too thawed out with my first attempt so I'll have to wait till morning to retry. BUT for sure you have to eat isomalt on a NOT empty stomach, so will have to start with something solid.

I did see that you tried the baby corn cornbread recipe and had trouble with the pics. How did you like the taste with your tweaks? I don't know though. Looks like that recipe has SO many ingredients!! Kevin's takes two minutes to make and 5 to cook (if you double the recipe) so I like that kind of convenience! You could definitely process the baby corn and try it in Kev's recipe. I bet it'd be good!

If you're pushing 7pm there then you must be Central time, as I'm pushing 8pm here. DH has woken up from his chili and cornbread induced coma so I'd better go spend some time with him. See ya later, and good luck with the rest of those experiments!
LauraFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2006, 07:06 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zuleikaa
Kevin
Will the isolmalt syrup carmelize for a darker syrup?
Zuleikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:12 AM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa View Post
Kevin
Will the isolmalt syrup carmelize for a darker syrup?
I have never tried it. Sounds like another thing to try.
If I were to guess though, I would have to say it should.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:44 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bev-Ann
Stats: Ht 5' 2.5" Size 10 / 8 / 2
WOE: High Protein, LC
Start Date: Sep. 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
I have never tried it. Sounds like another thing to try.
If I were to guess though, I would have to say it should.
According to what I've found on the net, it won't caramelize. It's often used to make sculptures because it hardens but stays clear. That's what makes it good for use in hard candies too.

Last edited by Bev-Ann; 10-27-2006 at 07:46 AM..
Bev-Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:53 AM   #35
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
None of the sugar alcohols caramelize. As you go to higher and higher temps, they stay crystal clear. Eventually, they'll start to smoke.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
None of the sugar alcohols caramelize. As you go to higher and higher temps, they stay crystal clear. Eventually, they'll start to smoke.
Thanks all.

I can use SF caramel syrup for the flavor.

So if I want a darker karo do I use polyD, poly D and isomalt? I want to make the pecan pie/bars but want a darker color.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So if I want a darker karo do I use polyD, poly D and isomalt? I want to make the pecan pie/bars but want a darker color.
Polyd definitely caramelizes but I was making peanut brittle so was boiling it rather vigorously for almost 15 minutes. I've never made a pecan pie. Would that happen to the filling while it's baking?

Last edited by Bev-Ann; 10-27-2006 at 10:48 AM..
Old 10-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev-Ann View Post
Polyd definitely caramelizes but I was making peanut brittle so was boiling it rather vigorously for almost 15 minutes. I've never made a pecan pie. Would that happen to the filling while it's baking?
With pecan pie you would have to make a syrup of the polyD or/and isomalt before using it in the recipe.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:07 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
With pecan pie you would have to make a syrup of the polyD or/and isomalt before using it in the recipe.
But would the pie filling boil vigorously for long enough while it's baking for the polyd to caramelize?
Old 10-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

When i was doing the original test of this I made a batch subbing caramel davinci for the water to get the syrup a bit sweeter and as a result it was also darker from color of the davinci. That may work in a pecan pie.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:36 PM   #41
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
If you want a faux dark karo, you'll probably need some blackstrap molasses.

You could cook down a polyd syrup until it caramelizes. That will give you some color/flavor, but it won't be as dark/flavorful as dark karo.

I would try both- caramelizing the polyd AND adding some blackstrap molasses. That should give you plenty of flavor for pecan pie. If you wanted to supplement the caramel note with some caramel davinci, that wouldn't hurt either.

A pecan pie is a custard, btw. Custards prefer low slow baking. If you overcook it, it might reach boiling temp throughout, but even then it's no where near enough to caramelize the polyd.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
If you want a faux dark karo, you'll probably need some blackstrap molasses.

You could cook down a polyd syrup until it caramelizes. That will give you some color/flavor, but it won't be as dark/flavorful as dark karo.

I would try both- caramelizing the polyd AND adding some blackstrap molasses. That should give you plenty of flavor for pecan pie. If you wanted to supplement the caramel note with some caramel davinci, that wouldn't hurt either.

A pecan pie is a custard, btw. Custards prefer low slow baking. If you overcook it, it might reach boiling temp throughout, but even then it's no where near enough to caramelize the polyd.
Thanks for the ideas Scott and Kevin. I'll give the blackstrap and caramel syrup both a try.

I knew you couldn't carmelize the polyd IN the pie. The temperature needed would be too high for the eggs. That's why you need to convert the polyd or isomalt to a syrup.

Re combining the polyd and isomalt...I prefer isomalt so would like to combine them if possible. Would that be possible? Now that I think of it, carmelizing polyd would give me the color but not the flavor...I guess that means using blackstrack or caramel syrup.

Thanks again guys.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:07 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Kevin, Do you think I could make this corn syrup the same way with Diabetisweet since it contains isomalt?
_____
Judy
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:58 AM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by judytab View Post
Kevin, Do you think I could make this corn syrup the same way with Diabetisweet since it contains isomalt?
_____
Judy
Judy, functionally it works. I just made a 3/1 diabetisweet/water syrup and it mimicked the results I got with isomalt.........BUT

and this is big BUT.... the amount of Ace-K in this concentration made it unpalatable.

I coated a spoon and then touched it to my tongue and it was so bitter it almost made me gag.

I would never use it.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Thanks for the answer, Kevin. I'm glad I asked before I tried it. And I just sent an order to Netrition WITHOUT Isomalt! I wanted to try pecan pie with the syrup. I will get it later on but not before christmas.
_______
Judy
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
saving
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #47