Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   TVP Oatmeal Cookie (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/443088-tvp-oatmeal-cookie.html)

Kevinpa 08-11-2006 09:20 AM

TVP Oatmeal Cookie

A friend of mine ask me to come up with a LC TVP based Oatmeal cookie for her. This was the result.

TVP Oatmeal Cookies

12 cookies approx 1 carb per cookie

1/2 cup TVP (6 carbs)
1/4 cup almond flour (3 carbs)
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000 (1 carb)
1 Tablespoon old fashion Quaker Oats (3carbs)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons Diabeti Sweet brown sugar

1/3 cup equivalent liquid splenda
2 Tablespoons Crisco green (no trans fat shorting)
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Mix all the dry ingredient together in a medium bowl.
Cut in the Crisco till well incorperated,
then stir in the remaining wet ingredient till well mixed.

Form into 1 inch balls and space several inches apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
Smash each ball with the bottom of a water dipped glass.

Bake in a 375 degree oven 9 to 11 minutes until golden brown.

I have to say I was impressed with both the texture and taste of these cookies.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/775...ealcookies.jpg

MistyLoo 08-11-2006 09:41 AM

YUM!

Buffy45 08-11-2006 10:11 AM

Those look wonderful.... :cry: :cry:

Mule_Freak 08-11-2006 10:31 AM

Oh Kevin, Good Lord I'm in Heaven :p
I love me some TVP, and finally a recipe w/no Polyd stuff (not that that is bad) I just never have any ;)
Oh this is for sure a make for me, just have to get some Oats, all I have are steal cut oats, but have all the rest. WOO HOO & Thank You :hugs:

Oh and one other question, I don't have the type of Brown Sugar you have listed, I all ways use Sweet & Low Brown Sugar (I love sweet and low) do you think this will be ok to use?

Divabunny 08-11-2006 10:39 AM

What is TVP?

Kevinpa 08-11-2006 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mule_Freak
Oh and one other question, I don't have the type of Brown Sugar you have listed, I all ways use Sweet & Low Brown Sugar (I love sweet and low) do you think this will be ok to use?

I see no reason why you could not sub the sweet and low.......personally I dont like the taste of it but since you like it .....should work for you.

Mule_Freak 08-11-2006 10:42 AM

Diva, TVP= Texture Vegtable protein
its great, Bobs Red Mill sells it and its really cheap :up:

Kevinpa 08-11-2006 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divabunny
What is TVP?

TVP® (Textured Vegetable Protein) is made from soy beans.http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/p...45_TVP10oz.jpg

Divabunny 08-11-2006 11:10 AM

Yikes, yet another thing to buy, lol. Where does one find TVP. I've never seen that before.

Kevinpa 08-11-2006 11:19 AM

I know of at least 2 local grocers that carry it around me. It is a pretty popular item with vegans.

lori121 08-11-2006 11:38 AM

What all can you use the TVP in?? I feel so silly not knowing.

Kevinpa 08-11-2006 11:50 AM

This might explain it:
http://www.veggieheadonline.com/tsp.html

SugarBabi 08-11-2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divabunny
Yikes, yet another thing to buy, lol. Where does one find TVP. I've never seen that before.

Health food or natural food stores generally carry it.

Some grocery stores carry it also.

Years ago, we used to use tvp to extend hamburger meat. Our HEB had the tvp enhanced hamburger packages called Protean. It was pretty darn good stuff. In fact, I liked it better than plain ole hamburger.

I had forgotten about this product. If you have a bulk foods store, you can usually find it there also.

lori121 08-11-2006 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa

Thanks for the link. My mama always told me that you learn something new every day... :up:

MistyLoo 08-11-2006 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lori121
What all can you use the TVP in?? I feel so silly not knowing.

Here's a recipe that tastes almost exactly like Southern Cornbread Dressing. I always make it for DH and I at Thanksgiving. My Mother makes the best dressing (doesn't everybody's? ;) ) and this tastes almost as good. It's never too early to plan your Thanksgiving feast. http://www.allemoticons.com/Food/hungry.gif

POULTRY STUFFING

1 C texturized vegetable protein (TVP)

1 1/3 C crushed pork rinds (bakenetts are mildest)

1 stick butter

4 stalks celery, chopped

1/2 C chopped scallions

1C sliced mushrooms

2C chicken broth

1 tsp sage

garlic, salt and pepper to taste

Sauté celery and onions in butter in large skillet until transparent. Add mushrooms, broth, and bring to boil. Add texturized vegetable protein and pork rinds. Add spices, remove from heat. Let the mixture absorb the juice. This will be very moist. This is much better after it has refrigerated for a day and then is reheated in the microwave. It takes on the crunchy roasted flavor of stuffing.

This freezes very well. Very yummy.

Data per my TVP for a small serving of stuffing (8 servings for whole recipe) Cals 220, Fat 16, Carbs 11, Fiber 10, net carbs 2 , Protein 16 grams

CreekWatcher 08-11-2006 02:39 PM

Kevin,
Do you think that soy grits might sub well (with a few more carbs) for the TVP?

Kevinpa 08-11-2006 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreekWatcher
Kevin,
Do you think that soy grits might sub well (with a few more carbs) for the TVP?

:laugh: Here I go again.

I officially put CreekWatcher in http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m273/kevinpa1/tz.jpg

I have never used soy grit so:

Your assignment....should you choose to accept it is to try this recipe with soy grits and let us know how it works.

Bfranke 08-11-2006 03:37 PM

Kevin, what is the texture of these cookies? Soft? crispy?
Thanks,
Bette

Kevinpa 08-11-2006 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bfranke
Kevin, what is the texture of these cookies? Soft? crispy?
Thanks,
Bette

Crunchy outside with a ever so slight chewy in the middle.

I guess crispy outside is a better description.

Bfranke 08-11-2006 05:21 PM

Guess I will add these to my baking list for next week. I really shouldn't eat the TVP (thyroid) but my DH can, and would be a way of using it up! He would probably like them with some raisins in them.
Thanks,
Bette

magnamater 08-11-2006 05:29 PM

Really looking forward to trying these!!

Thanks, Kev. (shades of Wonder Years)

jackieba 08-12-2006 08:15 AM

Sounds great. Oatmeal cookies are my favorite. But again, another thing to buy. I need to add that to the netrition wish list--I like to buy all my stuff at one place.

Freckles 08-12-2006 08:54 AM

Shucks! Two days ago I was perusing the Bob's Red Mill aisle wondering what could be made from TVP. Now I wish I had bought some of the stuff! The cookies and the stuffing sound wonderful... Three days of clear liquid diet and then I'm going to try some of these recipes. I love Sherrilee's "cornbread" recipe made with soy grits. My dh and ds didn't even realize they weren't eating Jiffy Mix :D . All my low carb recipe books have been abandoned due to the creativity and willingness of the cooks on this site to share their recipes and ideas and, of course, Netrition carrying so many specialized products at such great prices. These recipes are much better than the ones in my cookbooks.

ellen4621 08-12-2006 02:00 PM

I made these this morning and all I can say is Oh.My.God!!! :up: They are soooo good........and my house, oh my! was filled with the most heavenly aroma! I had to stop after THREE in a row or I would have eaten ALL OF THEM! :blush:

I didn't have the Brown DiabetiSweet, either, but used Steel's brand Brown Sugar Crystals instead and they turned out just like Kevin's picture above!

Now, if only the "Eat Well, Be Well" company would come out with some "scutterbotch" morsels............<swoon>

P.S. Kevin.... :hugs:

SugarBabi 08-12-2006 05:12 PM

Does Netrition sell TVP? I checked under Bob's Red Mill and it wasn't listed. Does anyone know?

magnamater 08-12-2006 05:17 PM

Textured Vegetable Protein??? That's the full name. See if that helps.

magnamater 08-12-2006 05:19 PM

Okay, Netrition doesn't carry the Bob's Red Mill product, but the homepage of Bob's Red Mill does.

If you have Whole Foods, they have it.

SugarBabi 08-12-2006 05:21 PM

Thanks magnamater. Thought I was losing my mind for a minute there. LOL

CarolynF 08-13-2006 04:50 AM

Wow...Gosh..Kevin..you are incredible..need your own tv show..Hey, how about adding some walnuts? I think that would be a great addition..and if a person wants to add some raisins..I have cut them in half..to make them look bigger..Plump them up in a bit of water..drain..and cut and add to the cookie dough..

Kevinpa 08-13-2006 06:38 AM

lol I haven't bought raisins in over a year. I sort of wrote them off after finding out about my diabetes. Now that i have it under control I most likely could add some but I try for the most part to come up with basic recipes and let people add the extras that they want. Your right though, that would make these even more like the real thing than they already are..