Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   This ones for Scott123 - Moc Entenmanns New Jersey Isomalt Crumb Cake (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/442551-ones-scott123-moc-entenmanns-new-jersey-isomalt-crumb-cake.html)

Kevinpa 08-08-2006 11:23 AM

This ones for Scott123 - Moc Entenmanns New Jersey Isomalt Crumb Cake

I am marking this still experimental till I have made it twice again....But

I am pretty certain I won't be changing much if anything.

Moc Entenmanns New Jersey Isomalt Crumb Cake

1/2 c. Carbalose
1/2 c. Carbquik
2 T. wheat protein isolate 5000
2 T. resistant wheat starch
1/2 c. granular Isomalt
1/4 t.salt
1 t. baking powder

Mix together above ingredients till combined.

Add 5 T. oil (Crisco canola)
1 c. equivalent liquid splenda

Wisk together till combined.

Divide this mixture...one half slightly larger than the other...use 2 bowls.

In the smaller portion add:

1 egg
1/4 c. half cream half water
1 t. vanilla extract

Mix well until free of lumps ( mixture will be thin ).Pour into greased 5 x 9 inch glass loaf pan.

In the larger portion add:

2T. of butter
1 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup ground hazelnuts

Mix with hands , making crumbs, leaving some large crumbs.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes till browned.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...crumbcake1.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...crumbcake2.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...crumbcake3.jpg

trish6103 08-08-2006 11:41 AM

Kevin, if you and I were not already married to other people, I would be trying to hook up with you for your cooking. :D

scott123 08-08-2006 12:23 PM

Wow Kevin, that was quick! I am really impressed... That looks amazing! And that crumb is just nut based? Wow!

eshlemania 08-08-2006 01:09 PM

Wow! This looks really great. What is Isomalt and where do you find it in the grocery store?

Thanks,
Bev

BB in MN 08-08-2006 02:55 PM

I now believe,Scott and Kevin are the SUPER STARS (shoulder to shoulder with Donald Tramp) of the "LC Recipe/Cooking World" :kicking: :kicking: :kicking

THANK YOU, THANK YOU

You guys are the reason it is so easy to stay on WOE!
So, many recipes to try and not enought time to do it!

Kevinpa 08-08-2006 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eshlemania
Wow! This looks really great. What is Isomalt and where do you find it in the grocery store?

Thanks,
Bev

Bev, you will not find Isomalt in any local store unless it is a specialty store selling supplies to bakers.

There is a few places online that you could find by googling it.
Isomalt is a task specific sweetener that works best with icings, candies , chocolate and a few others. It is not a one for one replacement for sugar. It also at this point tends to be on the pricey side and not wise being used as a general sweetener.
In its element thought it will perform as well if not better in some cases than sugar.

trish6103 08-08-2006 07:55 PM

You guys were scaring me when you said it was expensive. I found 1.5 lbs for $12.95 and 5 lbs. for $20.82.

DBrown8614 08-08-2006 08:51 PM

:notwrthy: :notwrthy: :notwrthy:

Kevinpa 08-08-2006 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trish6103
You guys were scaring me when you said it was expensive. I found 1.5 lbs for $12.95 and 5 lbs. for $20.82.

Trish, when you consider some sweeteners you can get at 65 cents per cup and isomalt only sweetens at 40% of sugar that makes those two prices you quoted 10 to 20 times more expensive. That is all we were pointing out.

trish6103 08-09-2006 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa
Trish, when you consider some sweeteners you can get at 65 cents per cup and isomalt only sweetens at 40% of sugar that makes those two prices you quoted 10 to 20 times more expensive. That is all we were pointing out.

Gotcha. But like you said, it's not something you are going to use every day and for all applications.

CreekWatcher 08-09-2006 08:11 AM

Kevin,
I was interested to know details on why you used isomalt. Do you think polydextrose could be a good substitution?

LowCarbConvert 08-09-2006 08:14 AM

Wow, the cake looks fabulous.

Adding Isomalt to my mental "must have" list!

Kevinpa 08-09-2006 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreekWatcher
Kevin,
I was interested to know details on why you used isomalt. Do you think polydextrose could be a good substitution?

Creek, I think Scott covered this in a thread that Whooo started the other day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott123
Crumb cake is another can of worms. The cake part, as far as I know, hasn't been done yet, although there have been a few attempts at streusel/crumb toppings. One of the limitations is getting sugary texture into the moisture free environment of the crumb. Erythritol on it's own has too much of a cooling effect. Polyd is iffy in low/no moisture environments. That leaves non erythritol sugar alcohols. I'm holding my hopes out that isomalt will work here and not be too laxating or too carby.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott123
Kevin, pre-WOE, there were a handful of foods/baked goods that I put in a truckload of time and resources attempting to re-create. Pizza was one (man was I close to a NY style thin crust pizza). Brownies were another. My low carb brownies are far superior to any of the regular brownies I used to make. Crumb cake was also high on this list. No matter how hard I tried, I could never create a light fluffy dry streusel. Now that I look back, it was the butter. Butter has a tendency to make crumbs collapse into a crackly shell.

So, no crumb cake recipe. Re-creating entenmann's crumb cake was/is my goal. What I believe makes entenmanns better than most crumb cakes is the hazelnuts (filberts) in the crumb. There are hundreds of crumb recipes, but very few are hazelnut based.

Thus the name of the thread. :laugh:

So my answer would be no,

CreekWatcher 08-10-2006 06:36 AM

Thanks, Kevin.

jokath 08-16-2006 01:13 PM

I made this last night and IMO its just as good, if not better than the 'real thing'..thanks Kevin.

Maggy 08-21-2006 08:20 AM

Does anyone know the carb count for this...and could you add some pumpkin or apple cinnamon spice to it to change up the flavor?TIA:heart:

Kevinpa 08-21-2006 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy
Does anyone know the carb count for this...and could you add some pumpkin or apple cinnamon spice to it to change up the flavor?TIA:heart:

Maggy, there are about 20 carbs in the entire crumb cake not including the Isomalt. Personally I have not decided how to count those yet.

As far as the pumpkin or apple cinnamon spice, if you try them, please make sure you come back and let us know how they turned out.

sungoddess 09-18-2006 08:18 PM

Kevin-

I finally have the ingredients to make this but don't want to mess up on the sweetener. Where you say...

1 c. equivalent liquid splenda

Can I use Sweetzfree? Do you know how many drops?

Thanks

Kevinpa 09-18-2006 08:56 PM

Thats what I used. I always follow the standard measure for it. That is why I list equivilent sweeteners. Whatever the measure is for that equivilent of sweetener that you use. In a case like this, one of those splenda quick pack would work here too because it is 1 cup equivilent sweetener.

scott123 09-19-2006 07:17 AM

LindaSue is the keeper of the conversion chart:

http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/sple...ion_chart.html

Tweaker Geek 09-19-2006 01:44 PM

Speaking of Linda Sue - where is she?:confused: I haven't seen a post from her in ages and no updates on her site since the first of the month - I miss her!:(

Linda Sue come back!!!! We need you!:heart:

magnamater 09-19-2006 03:22 PM

Gotta second the "Where in the world is LindaSue?" I get my lc kicks reading her updates! And haven't seen her here, but admittedly I'm not here all the time.

parrotchic 09-19-2006 05:55 PM

LindaSue is on vacation I believe

That Girl 09-19-2006 06:06 PM

kevin, do you have any suggestions as far as the isomalt is concerned? if we can't get that item, what do you think might work as a replacement? diabetisweet, poly d, maybe a combo of both? your recipes look great, but i can't try them, i cant find the isomalt anywhere.... tia

Kevinpa 09-19-2006 07:05 PM

Bella, I don't think the polyD is going to buy you anything here.I guess if I had no other way to go I would try using brown diabetisweet but that doesn't mean it will work. It will be a try and see kind of thing.

Teresa123 11-25-2006 04:58 PM

I finally made this, and all I can say is EXCELLENT! Thank you Kevin, this is delicious and so easy! :up:

Xcali 11-25-2006 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trish6103 (Post 7321916)
Kevin, if you and I were not already married to other people, I would be trying to hook up with you for your cooking. :D

Ditto this!! Except .. lmao .. I'm NOT married.

:( Why ohh why are ALL the good ones taken!!??

skg 06-18-2008 03:09 PM

Here I go again with a stupid question, this recipe calls for ground hazlenut, I found chopped do I just grind that or is there such a thing as ground hazlenut? I want to make this for the weekend.

Thanks

shadowzip 06-18-2008 04:07 PM

You could probably find ground hazelnuts, at Trader Joes maybe, if not just grind your own in the food processor being careful not to go too far and get hazelnut butter.

skg 06-20-2008 08:00 PM

I was in the kitchen 3 1/2 hours tonight cooking and baking. I made this and I must say YUMMY, it is the first thing I have made with Carbalose & Carbquik that didn't have that taste I have been tasting, either the recipe is really good so I don't taste it or I have somehow like the taste