Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/)
-   -   Scalloped Cauliflower and Green Beans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/memorial-kevinpa-his-best-recipes/440912-scalloped-cauliflower-green-beans.html)

Kevinpa 07-30-2006 08:29 AM

Scalloped Cauliflower and Green Beans

1 fresh head cauliflower
about 30 - 40 fresh green beans
6 green onions- finely chopped
12 oz shredded cheddar cheese + or - to taste
1 1/4 cup whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste
4 T. butter
5 or 6 slices of cooked bacon (chopped)

Preheat oven to 350F. Cut up cauliflower and grean beans and microwave in a tablespoon of water for 8 min to partially cook then season with salt and pepper. In a greased large casserole dish combine cauliflower, green beans, green onions, butter, bacon and cheddar cheese. Pour cream over top and place dish in oven. If dish is very full, put a cookie sheet under it to prevent bubble-over in oven. Bake 40 to 50 minutes till bubbly hot.

[COLOR=DarkRed]This is one of my favorites!![/COLOR]

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/scgz34.jpg

coffeeplease 07-30-2006 08:43 AM

WOW! Thats looks good.

RVlady 07-30-2006 09:00 AM

Kevin,
All your food creation pictures make me drool. I have the same Corelle dishes and seeing your food displayed so tastily makes me want to take a bite out of the computer screen.
Connie

5cats4me 07-30-2006 09:18 AM

I just LOVE recipes with everyday items that I have on hand! This is one of them! Thanks for sharing Kevin, it looks great.

catkan 07-30-2006 09:45 AM

I am definitely filing this one in my book! Going to be 100 degrees here today, to hot to cook. But this looks good.

vonnygirl 07-30-2006 12:06 PM

What an awesome side dish for a roast or some steak!! Thank you for the recipe and the picture-I love recipes with the picture!

Do you think frozen green beans and frozen caulif. would work O.K.?

Marlee 07-30-2006 12:40 PM

Woah! That looks delicious! Thank you :)

momov2boys 07-30-2006 12:42 PM

I'll be making this, too!
Thanks, Kevin :)

Kevinpa 07-30-2006 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonnygirl
Do you think frozen green beans and frozen caulif. would work O.K.?

I don't see why it wouldn't as long as you thawed it 1st.
I prefer fresh myself, it always seems like it gives a dish a better flavor.

Tryinghardtolose 07-30-2006 01:12 PM

Would someone please figure the carb count on this dish for me? It looks soooooooooo yummy! I can't wait to try it!!

Thanks so much...... Pam

Kevinpa 07-30-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tryinghardtolose
Would someone please figure the carb count on this dish for me? It looks soooooooooo yummy! I can't wait to try it!!

Thanks so much...... Pam

There is a total of about 36 carbs in the whole casserole based on the size of what I used. The casserole dish that I baked it in is 2 1/2 qt.

Estimating 8 nice servings of over 1 cup each that makes it approx. 4.5 carbs per serving.

CarolynF 07-30-2006 04:00 PM

Mr. Kevin..

You are amazing..Now...you make these wonderful dishes...and you are holding your weight..WOW..

Really, this looks like a great main dish..with a salad on the side..I think..

I'm wondering if I could cut down the fat a bit..by using CC milk instead of
yummy cream..I might experiment with this for a lower fat version...

pooticus 07-30-2006 04:31 PM

ah yes! a cream, butter, cheese, and bacon delivery system! bravo!!! most people only think in terms of a trifecta but u went for all annointed 4 in one dish! bravo!!!!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

(i unfortunately for my ass will be trying this next weekend with our steak :annoyed: )

thanks again kevin! :annoyed:

Kevinpa 07-30-2006 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF
this looks like a great main dish.....

We had this for our dinner last night by itself. I had a double portion, but still at 9 carbs for a meal, that is a bargain. With my exercise level of 3 times a day I have been maintaining quite nicely on approx. 40 to 60 carbs a day.

Carolyn, altought I bake a lot I still have to apply portion control. I am fortunate to have a gallary of taste tester that help make certain that things don't remain around too long to tempt me. I also make and share quite a bit with my diabetic father in law who otherwise would be consuming vast amounts of high carb goodies if I didn't.

pooticus 07-30-2006 05:10 PM

(btw. i didn't mean to sound sarcastic. this sounds like one of the perfect meals to me. and i will seriously be cooking this next weekend! i'm not holding out a lot of hope for portion control...i don't do well with these types of dishes or with linda sue cuz i just want more and more...but if it keeps me honest, then it's awesome every now and again...)

i really meant kudos on the recipe. it looks soooo FINE.

CarolynF 07-31-2006 09:25 AM

Portion control is the key..Linda Sue (with her wonderful recipes) also exhibits
portion control..

Kevin..you are lucky to have people to share your experiments with..DH and
I will eat anything..DS Brett is a bit more fussy, but he might actually like
this if it involves cheese..

michelemomof2 08-01-2006 08:20 AM

Oh my! Is it lunch time yet! That picture is making me hungry! :laugh:

Thanks for this recipe, Kevin!

Freckles 08-01-2006 03:45 PM

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I made this tonight but subbed asparagus for the green beans and used 1 cup Hood's CC skim milk, 1/4 cup heavy cream, 1 egg and some butter spray. I used less cheese, but used sharp cheddar. Cooked the bacon crispy and blotted with paper towels. (I can't handle too much fat in one sitting.) It was still delicious and dh loved it. It reminded me of twice baked potatoes. I thought at first it may have been too much liquid, but after it sat for approx 10 min it was great.

5cats4me 08-01-2006 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freckles
Thanks for sharing this recipe! I made this tonight but subbed asparagus for the green beans and used 1 cup Hood's CC skim milk, 1/4 cup heavy cream, 1 egg and some butter spray. I used less cheese, but used sharp cheddar. Cooked the bacon crispy and blotted with paper towels. (I can't handle too much fat in one sitting.) It was still delicious and dh loved it. It reminded me of twice baked potatoes. I thought at first it may have been too much liquid, but after it sat for approx 10 min it was great.

That sounds so good! I'm drooling on my keyboard! :p

sophie44 08-01-2006 06:39 PM

ummm...YUMMY!!!!!!!!!

Rottie 08-02-2006 08:50 AM

definitely adding this to my LC cookbook!

mom2twoboys 08-02-2006 06:48 PM

Wow that sounds great. Thank you so much for sharing.

jackieba 08-03-2006 07:28 AM

Looks yummy. Thanks Kevin. I'll prob cut it in half (like I usually do--there's only two of us). I use the Hood milk as a sub in alot of recipes tha call for cream. DH loves asparagus so I'll have to try that too.

sophie44 08-05-2006 07:28 AM

bumped so my honey can find it on here...I want in tonight

Faithful_1 08-05-2006 12:40 PM

Oh that looks delicious, and so easy to prepare...just what I've been looking for!

Thanks! :up:

Faithful_1 08-06-2006 04:53 PM

Oh my goodness! I made this casserole for dinner tonite...
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

That was DELICIOUS!! so glad I happened upon this recipe, this will be one of my favs...Thanks!

doxielove 08-08-2006 02:07 PM

Save - looks so delicious - thank you Kevin!

momov2boys 08-09-2006 03:46 PM

Okay everyone: This was amazing!

I had to use sugar snap peas, because fresh green beans were gross at my grocer.

Next time, I will decrease the amount of cream called for (I used 1C this time).

Super tasty, easy and just plain fabulous.

Thanks, Kevin, for posting ;)

ediebo3 08-10-2006 03:19 PM

what kind of whipping cream?I am new to all this thanks!

:shake:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa

1 fresh head cauliflower
about 30 - 40 fresh green beans
6 green onions- finely chopped
12 oz shredded cheddar cheese + or - to taste
1 1/4 cup whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste
4 T. butter
5 or 6 slices of cooked bacon (chopped)

Preheat oven to 350F. Cut up cauliflower and grean beans and microwave in a tablespoon of water for 8 min to partially cook then season with salt and pepper. In a greased large casserole dish combine cauliflower, green beans, green onions, butter, bacon and cheddar cheese. Pour cream over top and place dish in oven. If dish is very full, put a cookie sheet under it to prevent bubble-over in oven. Bake 40 to 50 minutes till bubbly hot.

[COLOR=DarkRed]This is one of my favorites!![/COLOR]

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeehtdx/s...g.w560h420.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeehtdx/s...g.w560h420.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeehtdx/s...greenbeans.jpg

Kevinpa 08-10-2006 03:34 PM

heavy whipping cream is what I normally use, although I do remember i didn't have whipping cream once an I used half n half and it still turned out well.