Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: louam
Stats: 245/230/140
coconut flour

Hi I'm new to the forum, and let me say I am so very happy I found it!!
My question is about coconut flours and coconut milk. Are there any recipes out there modified using these ingredients? If this has been posted previously, I apoligize and please direct me to that thread! I am most interested in exchanging coconut for wheat or mixing different combinations of wheat substitutes. Thanks so much Amy
louam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
From my experience using coconut flour, it's a tricky ingredient.

I don't want to sound negative, but I haven't had a lot of luck with it. I'm working on making a coconut flour batter, but haven't perfected it yet.

If you do come up with any recipes that work, please post them here. I mainly use mine for a coating for chicken tenders, but I'd love to incorporate it into other recipes.

Also, if you use the search on here, there are a couple of threads about coconut flour from a few months back or maybe even near the end of last year--they might be helpful to you. I hope so.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:18 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for your response. I have a coconut flour cookbook that uses 100% coconut flour in all it's recipes, which is fine, I baked a cake with it and it turned out pretty good. And it also allows for sugar substitutes too.

But it also says that in most recipes you can only get away with using a percentage of coconut flour. What I'm looking for is what else to mix with it to maintain the low carb status.

For anyone interested, coconut flour is very low carb, I think 8 carbs in a cup.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:43 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I have been experimenting with coconut flour since Janurary. I have mixed it with every LC flour that I know of and my experience has been pretty much the same as SugarBabi's. I will guess that of all the things that I have made with it (from the "Cooking with Coconut Flour" cookbook included), I only have a 30% success rate of things I would share with anybody else.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 07-21-2006 at 03:44 AM..
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:38 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Is that the cookbook that kevinpa mentioned by dr. fife? I didn't make the cake due to the amount of eggs you had to use (I'm not real big on anything eggy), but I did make the coconut bread, muffins, etc. and they were pretty lousy. I followed his recipes exactly, even using real honey in the ones that called for it--still, very poor results. The taste was not good.

I also tried a few recipes on here and used some coconut flour instead and no luck with them either.

You can substitute coconut flour for 1/4 of any other flour you are using, but you know the oil/butter and egg amounts may have to be changed also. I'd really like to figure out the secret to cooking with coconut flour, but for now, it's basically something I use for chicken. I did a donut recipe on here and substituted a quarter of the flour with coconut flour and it's the same donut recipe (shawneesioux's) that I made eariler and the donuts came out about 1/3 smaller in size and the taste wasn't nearly as good. I used the recipe exactly the way I had the first time, except I changed it to use some coconut flour. A coconut flavored donut just sounded good to me. They were okay & edible, but not nearly as good as the first ones without the coconut flour. Go figure.

I don't think his recipes were tested very well before he marketed the cookbook. I like that coconut flour is very low carb and that it has great health benefits.

Now the coconut flour may work just fine with regular flour, I don't know and I'm not brave enough to try it cuz I really like coconut and I can't trust myself not to eat it if it turns out good. LOL

Anyway, if you find other ways to use this flour, please post here as it's been a difficult test flour for me. I'm having much more luck with the mesquite flour lately.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Luvmykidz
Stats: 165/baby due May'08/140 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb hybrid
Start Date: June 2006 after 4th baby
I have been experimenting with a basic mini muffin recipe that uses all coconut flour and alternative sweetener. I just tried a peanut butter version that I thought was pretty passable.
Luvmykidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Well, you all just saved me from a lot of trial and error! Thanks for sharing your experiences with me.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:55 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by louam
Well, you all just saved me from a lot of trial and error! Thanks for sharing your experiences with me.
P.S. Welcome to the forum!!

I haven't given up on the coconut flour yet, I've just not been experimenting much with it lately. I still have hope.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:46 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Part of the problem with coconut flour is that it is super high in fiber and will suck up a lot of moisture in your recipe. You will end up with a very dry and crumbly mess if you do not add enough liquid/binder like egg.

I am going to toss in my experimental muffins in case any one still has a bag of CF sitting around and still feels adventurous.

Peanut Butter Muffins

2 tablespoons of coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2-3 packets low carb sweetener ( I use stevia, but anything should work)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (or almond butter if you don't like peanuts)
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 325.

I mixed all the dry ingredients together first, then cut in the peanut butter til it was crumbly. Then, I beat in the eggs and vanilla until the batter was thick and smooth.

I got it to spread evenly among 12 greased mini muffin cups. The batter will puff while cooking, and the finished product looks like a real muffin, not an eggy souffle.

I baked mine for 7 minutes in my toaster oven. It may take slightly longer in a regular sized one, but it is good to check at 7 minutes. They are done when a wooden toothpick tests clean.

I had these for lunch and ended up sharing with my kids because they are pb junkies.

I also drizzled a very tiny bit of Davinci's sf vanilla syrup on a couple and I thought it was not too bad. It might be possible to make mini choc chip muffins if a few SC chocolate chips were added before baking.

In the whole batch I got 17 total carbs, 11g fiber, 26 g fat and 19 g protein. They might make a good on the go breakfast with a cup of coffee, too.
[COLOR="Teal"]~I will live in the moment, with my eye on Eternity~[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"] Happy Tapper since 7-21-06 [/COLOR]

My Stray Thoughts
http://www.******.com/WebFit/PublicJ...ner=Luvmykidz2
Old 07-22-2006, 08:05 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BG38357
Did I miss it somewhere but has it been tried as a coating for frying shrimp yet?
BG38357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:22 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I'll answer the coconut milk question..You can use this in place of cream..in
shakes..it's yummy..making pudding..with some water mixed in..It makes a nice custard, too..

And don't forget coconut oil..which can be used in place of butter, etc in baking..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:42 PM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Luvmykidz- thank you for the recipe. Does it taste eggy at all? I really have a problem with eggy. I am wanting to try out your recipe, but I wanted to ask you about it first.

BG38357- I think it has. I use it for chicken, but I am sure it would work for shrimp, sort of like Tony Chaccerone's mix, but you might have to work with it a bit in order to make a batter-type of mix. Just for coating chicken, it works great combined with other flours, such as almond flour, etc. for me.

I missed the coconut milk question completely until I saw Carolyn's post. LOL
I made a strawberry smoothie last night. I used about a third of a cup of coconut milk, half a can of diet rite orange soda, some ice and probably 2/3 cup of strawberries with sweet 'n low added to them. It was a nice coconutty strawberry flavor and it hit the spot for a cool snack. Next time, I think I'll add some protein powder to it.

Last edited by SugarBabi; 07-22-2006 at 01:43 PM..
Old 07-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

By 'eggy' I assume you mean the texture. I personally hate having my baked goods come out like an omlette. So, no, I do not find them to be eggy in this way. The texture is very similar to bread. Slight measurement differences and cooking altitudes might affect it, though. If it seems too eggy for you, you could add another teaspoon of coconut flour to firm it up.

The flavor and smell are peanut butter like, but not overwhelmingly so.

Probably the best way to describe the overall texture is that it is similar to sponge (not angel food) cake.

I also have multiplied the recipe x4 and baked in a large pan @ 350 degrees for 20 minutes. That makes a dozon regular sized muffins.

But the nice thing about the minis is that it only takes about 5 minutes to whip up a batch, and a few minutes to bake it---You arent' out a lot of time or effort, and can know pretty quickly whether you like them.

One note. I find they are easier to remove from the pan if I let them cool for 5 or 6 minutes first. Then, run a knife around the edge. They are kind of delicate when hot.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:58 PM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmykidz
By 'eggy' I assume you mean the texture. I personally hate having my baked goods come out like an omlette. So, no, I do not find them to be eggy in this way. The texture is very similar to bread. Slight measurement differences and cooking altitudes might affect it, though. If it seems too eggy for you, you could add another teaspoon of coconut flour to firm it up.

The flavor and smell are peanut butter like, but not overwhelmingly so.

Probably the best way to describe the overall texture is that it is similar to sponge (not angel food) cake.

I also have multiplied the recipe x4 and baked in a large pan @ 350 degrees for 20 minutes. That makes a dozon regular sized muffins.

But the nice thing about the minis is that it only takes about 5 minutes to whip up a batch, and a few minutes to bake it---You arent' out a lot of time or effort, and can know pretty quickly whether you like them.

One note. I find they are easier to remove from the pan if I let them cool for 5 or 6 minutes first. Then, run a knife around the edge. They are kind of delicate when hot.
Thank you for this information. The mini's appeal to me as they would be so cute for snacking. You've convinced me here, so I'm going to make some later today. I've never really baked with peanut butter before, so it's new for me and the recipe sounds really good. I'll be using my toaster oven too (love it) as the regular went on the blink and it's too hot to use it anyway--it's a scorcher here today.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Hope they work for you. I really enjoy eating them. Try to stay cool!
Old 07-22-2006, 05:56 PM   #16
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Well, I only had chunky peanut butter and some generic type of sweetner, but I made these. I made 6 mini muffins and a little loaf. They came out very pretty and look right, but they were kinda bitter. I'm chalking that up to the type of sweetner I used. They are still tasty and probably better with creamy peanut butter instead.

I am going to make another batch as soon as my hubby gets back from the store. He's bringing back some splenda and some creamy peanut butter for my next batch. They should turn out perfect. I only have a 6 count mini muffin tin and haven't been able to find one that fits the toaster oven that holds 12, but both of the pans I used worked out fine.

Wanna see them? The little muffins are so cute!! Thank you for this recipe.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:45 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Say, they do look cute! I didn't think of using chunky peanut butter. I imagine splenda would be a good choice. I always use stevia myself, but it is kind of an acquired taste for some. And it can taste bitter if too much is used. I never noticed mine being bitter, though.

I would be interested to know if the bitterness came from the sweetener. I may have a different coconut flour than you, and I suppose it *could* be the flour? Hm.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:36 PM   #18
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

The kind I have is organic Aloha Nu.

I never thought about changing brands. Nothing else was ever bitter, but then again, I didn't use this particular sweetner in it, so it had to be the sweetner.

The second batch I made were not bitter and I used splenda in them and creamy peanut butter. I forgot to take pics though.

My husband got me started taking pics of food. He usually reminds me too.

Also, I prefer crunchy or extra crunchy peanut butter but my hubby prefers the creamy, so now I have both.

I also made a peanut butter mousse that I found the recipe for online and it was good, but really peanut-buttery. I think it took 3 T. of peanut butter and it called for s/f butterscotch pudding, but I only had vanilla. I have the recipe if anyone is interested. It tasted good, but very rich.

Last edited by SugarBabi; 07-23-2006 at 12:40 PM..
Old 07-23-2006, 09:59 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Ok all you COCO-NUTS

About 4 months ago I tried a cinnamon coconut sugar cookie that turned out ok but I was not satified so I shelved it.......till today

I halved the original recipe which made 2 dozen cookies and achieved the same results for 3 different batches today.

I would appriciate if all you who have coconut flour and feel like experimenting to try these and let me know what you think.

This recipe makes 12 cookies for 2.5 net carbs for all 12.
Talk about a carb bargin!!

Cinnamon Sugar Cookies

2 eggs
1 c. equivilent liquid splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
1/4 c. coconut oil
4 T. coconut flour
2 T. wheat protein isolate 5000
1/4 t. baking powder

1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon polydextrose plus

I mixed eggs, sweeteners, vanilla, salt, and coconut oil in a large mixing bowl.
Mix together the flours and baking powder then add to the liquid ingredients. The dough was rather sticky so I let it set for about 10 minutes to thicken a bit.
While that thickened I combined the cinnamon and polydextrose plus in a small glass dish.
I then formed the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and then rolled them in the cinnamon mixture, coating thoroughly. I then placed them on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet about an inch apart and then flattened them to about 2 inch diameter.

I then baked them in a 350 oven for 15 - 16 min.

This made 1 dozen cookies. 2.5 carbs for entire batch.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 07-23-2006 at 10:11 PM..
Old 07-24-2006, 12:57 AM   #20
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I'll try them tommorrow & let u know if I can bake cookies.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:53 PM   #21
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Well....I made the cookies, but I screwed up the recipe (surprised?), but I finished them anyway.

I didn't read all the directions and I added in the polyd and the cinnamon and then noticed I wasn't supposed to do that. So I got brown cookies.

Now I have some questions: Mine are very dry--taste is good, but they are so dry. Would that be because I added in the polyd?
Oh, I only had polyd, not poly d plus--should that matter?

Also, did you sift the coconut flour? I didn't.

I also used my coconut oil in liquid form--will that make any difference?

I'm thinking they would be great with half almond flour and half coconut flour--or is it just cuz I don't know how to bake? Help....

Visual:

not pretty like yours..waahhh!! But I can eat them with jam, so they are edible.

Last edited by SugarBabi; 07-24-2006 at 02:55 PM..
Old 07-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

ok, my 1st attempt at these 4 months ago, mine turned out dry also. The changes I made were the coconut oil(mine was semi solid but way past room temp) for butter and the cinnamon coating this time had polyD + but the last time I used erythritol.
Here is what I need to know 1st. When you rolled the balls to make the cookies, describe the dough. i.e. was it stiff, gooey, sticky ?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #23
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

When I got it all mixed up, it was sticky, so I let it sit for the 10minutes and it was very much like a normal cookie dough and easy to roll into balls-didn't stick to my hands either.

I don't know what I could add that would make them more moist. I thought of adding some cream, but not sure about that. I know cream cheese works well with coconut flour, but I didn't really want the cream cheese either.

Also, yours look kinda fluffy--mine were very dense. Maybe I should have sifted the flour?

Last edited by SugarBabi; 07-24-2006 at 07:51 PM..
Old 07-24-2006, 08:42 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

ok most likely it was adding in the polyd to the batter that made the difference because when I made these and the dough was 1st mixed it was so wet that by looking at it I knew if I tried to roll it that it would turn to mush in my hand and stick to my hands. After I waited the 10 mins I would still have called the dough loose to the point of when looking at it it appeared to have too much liquid but it did hold together enough to roll. Even after rolling they still had a gelatinous feel to them. I am thinking the polyD cinnamon rolled on the out side sealed the cookie while baking holding the moisture in and giving it a chewy almost crunch to the outside while keeping the inside moist. I need to make another batch to test this theory.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:15 PM   #25
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Yep, I'll try again tomorrow and do them the right way. Of course my first thought was to add about a quarter to a third of a banana to them to add some moisture. (I know>>> bad.)
Old 07-25-2006, 01:02 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa
I am thinking the polyD cinnamon rolled on the out side sealed the cookie while baking holding the moisture in and giving it a chewy almost crunch to the outside while keeping the inside moist.
Since Alton Brown didn't answer my calls I ask the nearest thing to him that I knew and Scott123 told me that I am flawed in my thinking in that although PolyD is hygroscopic (water attracting), it's definitely not strong enough to seal moisture in a cookie.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:09 AM   #27
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Thanks, Kevin, that's nice of you to say.

SugarBabi, I stumbled on to a post from a few months ago where you refered to whey protein isolate as WPI. Did you use whey protein in your cookies?

It can get a little confusing, as there are some whey manufacturers that use the term 'WPI' for whey protein isolate, but for the bulk of the low carb community, WPI stands for wheat protein isolate. Big difference.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:27 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBabi
When I got it all mixed up, it was sticky, so I let it sit for the 10minutes and it was very much like a normal cookie dough and easy to roll into balls-didn't stick to my hands either.

I don't know what I could add that would make them more moist. I thought of adding some cream, but not sure about that. I know cream cheese works well with coconut flour, but I didn't really want the cream cheese either.

Also, yours look kinda fluffy--mine were very dense. Maybe I should have sifted the flour?
My experience is that even a small difference in measuring the coconut flour can affect the texture. Since it is super high in fiber, a small amount will soak up a lot of moisture in your recipe.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #29
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Thanks, Kevin, that's nice of you to say.

SugarBabi, I stumbled on to a post from a few months ago where you refered to whey protein isolate as WPI. Did you use whey protein in your cookies?

It can get a little confusing, as there are some whey manufacturers that use the term 'WPI' for whey protein isolate, but for the bulk of the low carb community, WPI stands for wheat protein isolate. Big difference.
Hi Scott,
I actually did use wheat protein isolate. I am learning here. LOL

Last edited by SugarBabi; 07-25-2006 at 01:51 PM..
Old 07-25-2006, 01:53 PM   #30
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmykidz
My experience is that even a small difference in measuring the coconut flour can affect the texture. Since it is super high in fiber, a small amount will soak up a lot of moisture in your recipe.
Should I have sifted it maybe? I think that would make a little bit of difference in the measurement.