Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #211
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Knock, Knock....Anybody here?!
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #212
Junior LCF Member

Stats: Ht. 5' 8.5", Wt. 223/202/165
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: May 7, 2014
First Timer

Hi to everyone. First time Medi Weightloss follower, here. I am on my 5th week, and am hoping that the scale at the clinic will be close enough to my home scale this morning so that I can claim 18 lbs. lost. I'm 58, and have made significant changes to my lifestyle in the last several months after a "do you realize what you are doing to your body" moment with my family doctor. I quit smoking on Labor Day, 2013, and gave up all sweetened drinks at that time as well. I had thought (more like DREAMED) that by cutting out those empty calories, I could preclude weight gain from smoking cessation. Nope! I gained close to 30 lbs. in 6 months. I was already overweight, so I got thrown into that great new BMI category of "Obese". Ouch!

I take yoga classes twice a week, and walk one weekend morning every week. As soon as the first 10 lbs. or so was off, I noticed that I could BREATH in yoga, even when in contorted positions. I firmly believe almost all of the weight that has come off so far has been on my belly. My yoga instructor explained how visceral fat in your belly works. And it scared me half to death! I believe that as I become more educated to what bad habits do to your body, I become more driven to do a better job with my health.

I'm excited to join an online community here to share in our successes, and yes, our minor setbacks, as we all make this journey.
Blubirdofhappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:43 PM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Blubird - It is good to hear from you! Congrats on your weight loss so far. Do you take yoga from a yoga specific studio, or from a ymca-like program? I need to look into it!
Old 06-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #214
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mellymel
Stats: 367/303/165
WOE: Medi-Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: 4/12/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2010 View Post
Knock, Knock....Anybody here?!
Wow I haven't been on in forever. I started a new job in May so I was super busy training my replacement and then learning my new job roles. I've been having a blast and running around with my head cut off, but I'm glad to say I've stayed on track with my plan! I went to my weekly follow up Wednesday and I am so happy to say I have lost 41 pounds of body fat in 2 months! Now, my water keeps going up and down but I haven't been exercising even though I know I should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower531 View Post
I totally agree!! Losing the weight was the easy part....saying "No" to alot of sugars, starches, and carbs is easy if you know it's for a few months. The hard part is saying "No" for the rest of our lives to the majority of carbs, starches and definitely the sugars! But it can be done!
Sunflower, that is so on the money. I try not to think too far ahead and take it day by day. Sometimes I catch myself thinking about "When I am down to a normal weight I'm gonna be eating this-and-that..." and I have to stop myself because I really will never be able to do that and maintain weight. I have been really focusing on not rewarding myself with food. I have been wired like that all my life, but it's been interesting figuring out different ways to treat myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMHopeful View Post
I ate avocado or salad dressing for my fat. Sometimes both and that's probably another reason why I didn't lose weight as fast as others. I knew I needed to do this the rest of my life and I didn't really care that I was spending more money extending the process because this was the best investment I have ever made in my life!
I totally agree with you on the fat. I'm only supposed to have it 2-3 times a week right now, but there are weeks where I eat it almost daily. I figure it's better than loading up on starches. I have also been on a 2 eggs (with yolk) for breakfast "binge". I'm only supposed to eat egg whites, but I was feeling sick last week and couldn't stand to eat any white meat without feeling queasy. Eggs were the only thing I truly craved. Plus, I know I won't stick to it in the long run if I feel deprived. This program has really been a lot easier to stick with than I thought it would be... as long as I have my phentermine anyways lol. I dread the day they take it away, but I doubt that will be anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine11999 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm joining Medi today. Reading through the posts on this site helped me make the decision! I have my first appointmentin an hour. Very excited and hopefully determined enough to be a success. I have 30 pounds of marriage/baby weight that I have to get off!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubirdofhappiness View Post
I'm excited to join an online community here to share in our successes, and yes, our minor setbacks, as we all make this journey.
Welcome, Christine & Bluebird! I'd love to hear how both of you have been doing, as well as everyone else!

Last edited by mellymel; 06-14-2014 at 01:26 PM..
mellymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #215
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ajmendezfl
Stats: 195.6
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 06/10/2014
I started on my journey last week on 06/10/14 it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. Today will be my 1st weigh in day. Ready to start week 2 ,I need my veggie!
ajmendezfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #216
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Blubird - It is good to hear from you! Congrats on your weight loss so far. Do you take yoga from a yoga specific studio, or from a ymca-like program? I need to look into it!
Thank you for the welcome.

I feel so lucky with my yoga practice! Several of my coworkers and I pay an instructor to come in to our workplace after hours twice a week. It makes it so easy. I had taken classes in the past at a local hospital that was on my way home from work, but it was a little too easy to just keep going straight on home on some days.

I highly recommend yoga for those who are worried about injuring themselves with more strenuous exercise, especially after a sedentary lifestyle. You can certainly get your heart rate up and sweat like crazy -- it just depends on how much effort you put into your poses. And it's very non-competitive as well.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #217
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmendezfl View Post
I started on my journey last week on 06/10/14 it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. Today will be my 1st weigh in day. Ready to start week 2 ,I need my veggie!
Congrats!

I have to admit to feeling pretty miserable that first week. That whole transition from carbs to burning my own fat made me feel so fatigued and weak. I started the program on a Wednesday, so the worst couple of days (day 4 & 5) were over the weekend. I don't know how I could have managed at work feeling that cruddy!

Now, however, those feelings of fatigue are long gone. I actually feel better now than I felt before I started. Here's hoping you get a big smile on your face at your first weigh-in!
Old 06-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #218
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ajmendezfl
Stats: 195.6
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 06/10/2014
Weigh- in was yesterday lost 7.2 Lb..pretty happy with that start. Now on to week 2!
ajmendezfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Weigh- in was yesterday lost 7.2 Lb..pretty happy with that start. Now on to week 2!
Congratulations!!!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:18 AM   #220
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Carolina1995
Restart

Good Morning,

I am doing a "restart" today, without the clinic. So expensive and I have all the tools. Anyone still doing on their own? Day one is so hard, such a mental challenge! Did well on the weight loss before but maintenance not so good. Still had the "my diet is over" mentality. Wish me luck!

Carolina1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

Hello again Carolina1995 - I am actually going to see my former MWL doc again on Friday at a different location. Need a kick in the pants restart!!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #222
Junior LCF Member

Congrats!

Quote:
Wow -- a big "Way to kick start this diet!" to you.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #223
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Zarasara
Hello! Today is my first day with MWL and I am excited! I stalked the forums for about two months before deciding to invest dollars!

I am so glad I stopped eating rice, pasta, bread, etc, about two months ago because I don't know how I would have done this otherwise! I was basically doing a modified Atkins plan (my own), and had lost 12lbs but decided it was better to do something with accountability.

How is everyone else doing? Anyone else recently start, as in the last couple days?
Zarasara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #224
Junior LCF Member

Looking for support here!

Okay, so is there a secret to getting folks to chatter about their progress?!
Old 06-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Sara,

I have been out of town the past 3 days....but before I left I restarted with my doc that helped me lose with MWL the first time. I am going back on plan tomorrow and I will be checking in here every few days also!

Congratulations on the 12 lb loss so far
Old 06-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #226
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KarinRN
Stats: 146/130/110-118
WOE: Medi weight loss
Start Date: May 6th 2014
8 weeks in

I am truely a different person now. Losing the sugar has changed my life. 8 weeks ago I was overweight, depressed, sluggish, full of exzema and bloated with constant flatulence. I am 16lbs lighter and I feel like I did when I was in my teens. My exzema has improved and my thyroid is no longer inflamed. The addiction to pasta and fat is gone! I will never turn back.
Now that I am in week 8 of my weight loss I am a little hungry this week. I am guessing its PMS as Ive read some posts that seem to fit. I drink more water and have taken my appetite suppressants. The Fat Burner pill is also very helpful. I am testing positive for ketosis so it is a little confusing. Any comments?
KarinRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

You want to be in ketosis. You are burning fat! My doc says if you are hungry then one area you can eat more of and be ok is protein.

Congratulations on your improved health and your weight loss so far!!! I am excited for you!
Old 07-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #228
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mom2twins
Hello!

I started Monday. I have 30 lbs to lose. So far so good. I have a headache now and I am REALLY hungry.
mom2twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #229
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twins View Post
Hello!

I started Monday. I have 30 lbs to lose. So far so good. I have a headache now and I am REALLY hungry.
Way to go! You can do it! I was really hungry, too! Even my hunger signals were overpowering the phendimetrazine! So, I decided to suspend the phendi and went back to taking garcinia cambogia. It calmed the hunger, and so much that I almost forgot to eat!

Since our brain is about self preservation and despises "losing" anything (and it REALLY doesn't like it if it feels deprived), it sends signals to the gut to try to get you to eat more. At least that's what my research shows. Your brain doesn't care how fat you are, it only cares that it survives in the end, even if it's the last thing living! That's why it's so important to get it under control!! And then sometimes the flip side to that, is that just actually DO need to eat a little more!!!

I hope everyone is doing well...I weigh in tomorrow, but I cheated. I got on the scale this morning and realized I lost 11.5lbs my first week! Holy cow! I need to see if what the content of the loss is though...I am sure it's mostly water, but that's okay. Moving forward!

Last edited by Zarasara; 07-01-2014 at 04:15 PM..
Old 07-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

Zarasara - Good luck! How exciting to have a big loss week 1! Want to write down your totals in your "signature"....it is next to the control panel when you sign in and see what threads you are subscribed to.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #231
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Zarasara - Good luck! How exciting to have a big loss week 1! Want to write down your totals in your "signature"....it is next to the control panel when you sign in and see what threads you are subscribed to.
You are right! I should totally do that! I will do that tomorrow after I weigh in. I weighed myself yesterday and today because I was curious...I wonder if it might change overnight. Probably. Sniff.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #232
Junior LCF Member

Question! How many liters of water a day do you drink?

On this ketogenic diet that is MWL, I know that a reduction in carbs can lead to dehydration if the water is not replaced. But I have been drinking 3+ liters a day, plus the 16 - 20oz of electrolytes and found that I was dehydrated. This seems odd to me, as my mouth felt super moist, but yesterday I felt tired and weak suddenly, and during the night had a headache that I could not get rid of. Upon waking this morning, I felt weak and dizzy with palpitations...pretty classic for dehydration. It's been really hot lately, and I did exercise the first week, even though they said not to. I guess I have been sweating out way more salt and water than I imagined.

I am new to this ketogenic plan, and am still educating myself. Has this happened to anyone else??
Old 07-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #233
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dinp120
Stats: 5'10" 199/157/140
WOE: Medi weightloss
Start Date: 5/18/2012
I felt weak and dizzy starting around day 3, if I'm remembering correctly. My clinic suggested drinking my electrolytes first thing in the morning and that seemed to do the trick. I aim to drink around 100oz of water a day and then anything else I drink is extra
Dinp120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #234
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinp120 View Post
I felt weak and dizzy starting around day 3, if I'm remembering correctly. My clinic suggested drinking my electrolytes first thing in the morning and that seemed to do the trick. I aim to drink around 100oz of water a day and then anything else I drink is extra
Interesting. I felt great all week, until yesterday morning, the day I went to weigh in. (Almost sounds psychosomatic, no?!). I mentioned I felt bad, and I started feeling worse throughout the day! And today I was even dizzier and had palpitations.

I have drank lots of water every single day, more than 3.5 L plus the electrolytes. Then again, I did have two cups of oolong tea (diuretic) and sweated a LOT since it's been super hot. Today I drank an extra 32oz of electrolytes...and I feel better. Maybe I will drink the electrolytes in the morning as you suggested. I was drinking them later, but I guess either way, they still get flushed down the toilet, it's just a different time of day.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #235
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mom2twins
The first two days were rough. I feel fine now. No headaches and not hungry all the time.

They are closed tomorrow, so I weighed in today. I started on Monday and lost 3.2 pounds.

Now on to week two

Congrats on your 11.5 lbs!! I wish I lost that much, but I'll take the 3.2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarasara View Post
Way to go! You can do it! I was really hungry, too! Even my hunger signals were overpowering the phendimetrazine! So, I decided to suspend the phendi and went back to taking garcinia cambogia. It calmed the hunger, and so much that I almost forgot to eat!

Since our brain is about self preservation and despises "losing" anything (and it REALLY doesn't like it if it feels deprived), it sends signals to the gut to try to get you to eat more. At least that's what my research shows. Your brain doesn't care how fat you are, it only cares that it survives in the end, even if it's the last thing living! That's why it's so important to get it under control!! And then sometimes the flip side to that, is that just actually DO need to eat a little more!!!

I hope everyone is doing well...I weigh in tomorrow, but I cheated. I got on the scale this morning and realized I lost 11.5lbs my first week! Holy cow! I need to see if what the content of the loss is though...I am sure it's mostly water, but that's okay. Moving forward!
mom2twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:00 AM   #236
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twins View Post
The first two days were rough. I feel fine now. No headaches and not hungry all the time.

They are closed tomorrow, so I weighed in today. I started on Monday and lost 3.2 pounds.

Now on to week two

Congrats on your 11.5 lbs!! I wish I lost that much, but I'll take the 3.2!

Congrats on the loss! That's awesome! If you didn't lose more, your body probably wasn't hanging on to as much water. I think 5lbs was water, I can't remember. But wait - isn't your loss only over 4 days?

And I started on week 2 yesterday. Let's all keep it moving forward!
Old 07-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

I have been in trace to moderate ketosis for the past 3 days, today had more carbs than the past 4. Today I was up to about 40 or more and ate off plan. DH brought something home that he'd gone out and bought. Not usual for him to do that but he wanted to get something for the holiday. I also drank less water today than I had been. I too was drinking about 84 to 100 oz, plus either coffee or tea. I am just saying here....I need the accountability!!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #238
Junior LCF Member

How can I help?

Quote:
I have been in trace to moderate ketosis for the past 3 days, today had more carbs than the past 4. Today I was up to about 40 or more and ate off plan. DH brought something home that he'd gone out and bought. Not usual for him to do that but he wanted to get something for the holiday. I also drank less water today than I had been. I too was drinking about 84 to 100 oz, plus either coffee or tea. I am just saying here....I need the accountability!!
Okay, so were you in ketosis today?

How can I help, Fit2010? I am only on week 2, so I don't feel as though I have much to offer. However, I have been trying to work on the emotional intelligence for eating at the same time. I bought a book on the topic, so let's see if it helps. I think it will, it's not usually the information that's the issue, it's applying the information!

If you ate "off-plan"...how bad are we talking?! Are we talking pasta and bread, or are we talking cakes and cookies?!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Sara - Thanks! DH had brought home black cherry ice cream and I ate 1/2 cup! But surprisingly on July 5th AM I was still in small amount of ketosis. I'd also drank alot of water! But July 5th PM we went out for chinese with another couple and I ate shrimp and veggies, and about 2 Tbsp or less of friend rice. Then went home and ate black cherry ice cream AGAIN! Sunday and today not in ketosis.

Today I was 192. But I have been that easily before. I need to get into the 180's!! Hoping my good choices today have me back in ketosis tomorrow. Although, I did eat guacamole with jicima as my dinner. My doc has me on a slightly different than MWL plan this time.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #240
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Sara - Thanks! DH had brought home black cherry ice cream and I ate 1/2 cup! But surprisingly on July 5th AM I was still in small amount of ketosis. I'd also drank alot of water! But July 5th PM we went out for chinese with another couple and I ate shrimp and veggies, and about 2 Tbsp or less of friend rice. Then went home and ate black cherry ice cream AGAIN! Sunday and today not in ketosis.

Today I was 192. But I have been that easily before. I need to get into the 180's!! Hoping my good choices today have me back in ketosis tomorrow. Although, I did eat guacamole with jicima as my dinner. My doc has me on a slightly different than MWL plan this time.
Interesting. You are actually working with the physician? At the two clinics near my home, the doctors are on call. Figures. They charge a LOT of money per week, then tell me if I have any problems to call my health care provider! So, now I am wondering why I am paying them... /rant over

On a different note, I am sure you will be back in ketosis in no time!! I have read that once keto adapted, it's a lot easier to get back into ketosis"..so I am sure you will be fine!!