Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Diet or "way of life"? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/819571-diet-way-life.html)

Artanis50 12-28-2013 12:38 PM

Diet or "way of life"?

Hi everyone - I'm following a plan very similar to the Medi Weight Loss plan but the place I go to is called Diet and Weight Loss Centers. Anyway, it seems to be exactly the same - high protein, low carb, B-12 shots, etc. so I figure it's ok to post my question here.

A little background -
I have always struggled with my weight. In the past I've been fairly successful with Weight Watchers. It takes a long time to come off but I've been comfortable with the plan becuse I can still eat what I want for the most part.
I had a baby in July (my first) and put on a TON of weight while I was pregnant. I am 5'1" and I weighed in over 225 when I went in to deliver. I started on weight watchers 6 weeks later (middle of September) and weighed in at 205. Over the next few months I successfully lost 10 lbs. I was pleased. But my mother was not. So anyway she signed me up for this program and asked me to try it for at least a month. I promised her I would.

So I'm in my 4th week now. I've done fairly well and have lost a total of 11.5 lbs. and honestly the last week I only lost 2.4 because I haven't been following the plan to the "T". I'm jut not hungry with the appetite suppressant and I didn't drink enough water.

All that to get to my question. Is this plan a diet or can you really eat like this forever? I just can't imagine never eating carbs again. When I stop, will I gain it all right back even if I don't go crazy but maybe have some pizza once in a while or a sandwich a few times a week? I can't imagine never sitting down to breakfast with my son and enjoying pancakes together.

I guess I'm just looking for advice / feedback from those of you who have been eating like this long term. I love carbs too much to only eat 20grams of carbs a day for the rest of my life.

Thanks for listening! Well, "reading" I guess! 😊

luckymuma 12-28-2013 01:54 PM

I believe you can eat pancakes, they just won't be the high carb varieties. There are mny low carb replica foods out there that people make so they can enjoy along side family and friends.
I think with low carbing, many people seem to swap plans along the journey ( ofcourse many also don't) depending on their needs. Some plans like Atkins have a maintainence part for when you've reached your goal and worked through the levels, other plans seem to self adjust as people reach goal and achieve maintainence for life on low carb ways of eating.

To be honest it will depend on how carb sensitive you are. Many here have seen that they just cannot go back to eating any amount of carbage...sometimes they realise they are grain sensitive, sometimes it is because it triggers massive binges and weight gain, and they get out of control with food again.

I fully believe a food isn't a food if it makes you sick...and I see being fat the same as being sick....it is an UNATURAL state that involves inflammation, stress on our bodies, health problems, discomfort...and many things we aren't even aware of.

If you're struggling on your diet, perhaps it isnt the right one for you? There are many different ways of eating low carb out there. I'm doing Nutritional Ketosis which is very low carb ( 8-15g) , moderate protein and the rest is fat. I enjoy eating this way. My body feels in harmony.

I'm not sure how old you are, but you may also want to tell your mum to butt out when it comes to your weight :/

Artanis50 12-29-2013 11:00 AM

Ha! I wish she WOULD butt out ....

Thanks for the advice. I'm finding some low carb alternatives are expensive and it's getting to be a pain for my husband and I to cook different meals. I've been thinking a lot about it and I'm just not sure if it's for me .... But it is working so I don't want to throw away all the progress I've made in a short time

LolaGetz 12-29-2013 11:50 AM

Although I have only been eating VLC since Sept. I can reassure you that one adapts to new dietary regimens and after a certain point never looks back. I can say this because about 15 years ago my celiac disease was diagnosed requiring adherence to a gluten free diet. At first I couldn't imagine a life without bread, cereal for breakfast, mac and cheese, a beer now and then etc. So I was a little rebellious and would insist just one slice of pizza or an occasional beer wouldn't hurt me but as time passed I came to a place of acceptance and switched to gluten free substitutes for bread, pasta and crackers. After a certain period of eating the substitutes I decided that they didn't really taste all that good and weren't worth the extra expense so I stopped eating them. And I really haven't missed those things at all since then; I never feel deprived or tempted now. It is as if time took care of things and took away all desire for things I can no longer eat. I'm never tempted no matter the circumstances and never have cravings for food containing glutens. The same thing happened a number of years ago when I gave up potatoes, rice and corn for weight control. I imagine it will prove the same for the VLC WOE; so far it had been for me anyway. Knock wood the lack of desire for carbs will last and become my new normal. Due to past experiences I feel confident it will be.

LolaGetz 12-29-2013 12:00 PM

Oh, I also wanted to add that it can be relatively easy to accommodate VLC even if your spouse eats differently. My husband and I haven't run into any problems. Often we both eat steak or fish which he grills and a green veggie. He just will add potatoes or rice to complete his meal. When he has spag or chili I just make soup for myself and it's no big deal. So I know you can both be comfortable without a great deal of hassle even if you are eating differently. It is a pretty minor issue once you figure out an efficient approach.

luckymuma 12-30-2013 03:02 AM

I agree with LolaGetz. I am the only VLC person in my family of five. Our meals revolve around meats etc, and my partner being grain free eats a lot of legumes and beans and salad, the kids join her in eating the beams alongside their meats etc too, and often they also have rice, or pasta or potatoes if the meal suits that. We tend to not go for low carb substitutes, but real whole foods, so it works out cheaper than eating sub foods. Better for us all too!

Artanis50 12-30-2013 01:32 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still not sure what to do. I haven't given up yet, but the more I think about it, the more I want to go back to weight watchers. I hate so many things about this diet and can't see doing it for the long term. I hate the B-12 shots. I hate the pills every day. I hate that I feel guilty even thinking about eating carbs - and not even pigging out on them. Oh what I would do for a nice toasted ham and cheese sandwich or some french fries and a bun with my burger!

A few more questions for you folks:
* How many grams of carbs do you eat in a day? I know the program I'm on has you stay at 20g / day until you reach goal weight. I'm not sure what it goes up to when you're on maintenance.
* If you've ever stopped low carb eating - did you gain a lot of weight back right away? If you did, did you just stop dieting all together, or did you choose another plan?

Sunny_1 12-30-2013 02:42 PM

Artanis, on our low carb plans, we don't take shots and we don't take pills. We are just selective about our food.

It sounds like your heart is really set on Weight Watchers, and while you are thinking that, it is unlikely that you could be happy on a very low carb diet.

I'd suggest that you go back to Weight Watchers, and if you don't get the results you want, then come back here and give low carbing your best shot.

Whatever you decide, I hope you find a plan that works for you and that you can be happy living with.

LolaGetz 12-30-2013 03:06 PM

To answer your question, I'm trying to stay below 20 carbs a day by eating mainly eggs, bacon, meat/poultry/fish and probably a total of 1 - 2 cups lettuce and a max of 1 cup low carb green veggies. It has kept me feeling satisfied and without any cravings so far and I attribute that to the combo of VLC and increased fats.

I might add that I think perhaps I'm finding that VLC seems to require no sacrifice on my part because I was forced to gradually reduce carbs in my diet over a period of years; as I mentioned before, first I was forced to give up glutens because of celiac disease and later I gave up certain starchy veggies to control my weight. So I had already cut out a lot of high carb things by the time I decided to take a VLC approach. Therefore it hasn't required a major adjustment on my part; I've only had to refrain from eating a few high carb things in which I had been over-indulging. I can understand how it might be more of a shock to your system if you suddenly try to go cold turkey. For me it has been a much more gradual change.

I too hope you will find an approach you can live with, one which both satisfies you and enables you to achieve your goals.

LolaGetz 12-30-2013 03:20 PM

And to answer your question about weight gain upon re-introducing carbs, I am sure that one would regain if the former very high carb diet were resumed. My understanding of the Atkins approach is that you should very gradually try, one at a time, to introduce veggies and fruits back into the diet while carefully monitoring the results. I don't think that means it will ever be possible for someone to eat potato chips, fries, pastries etc. without gaining weight. Certainly I know I can never eat those things again. But I don't really miss them any more although I do remember how much I enjoyed them when I did eat them and I'm glad I had the experience. However the food I currently eat is delicious and completely satisfies me so I don't feel at all deprived.