Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: emeghdir
For the women: can Menstruation affect Ketosis

Hi everyone! Hope all is well!
I just started the Medi Weightloss diet 4 days ago. My clinic told me to check for Ketosis on the 4th day. Well, I eagerly checked this morning first thing, and, unfortunately, nothing. :-( But I also realized I just got my period today.

My question is - does menstruation affect ketosis?

Now, here are some additional details. When I started this diet, the nutrionist didn't actually give me a "max" allowed carb total per day. However, I've read on the forums that it should be 10g carbs/day for the 1st week. I have been around 12-14g for the past 4 days. So I'm also wondering if that did it? Could being over 10, even if only by a little, affect me getting into ketosis?

Any advise is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
emeghdir is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

um. hello out there?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amber2013
Stats: 182.8/164.5/130
WOE: Mediweightloss
Start Date: 5/1/2013
Echo, echo, echo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeghdir View Post
um. hello out there?
Yeah, sometimes it can be like talking to oneself here. Sorry I didn't see your post but I've been MIA for a while. I went into get weighed today and also just started my period. Had been "moderate" and was "trace" at the clinic and was told it was probably because of my period. Conversely, I was also told that the ketostix can also sometimes be unreliable.

Carbs: I didn't have a max carbs for the first week so I can't help. Since I don't eat meat my plan is a little different. Did you call them and ask them? I don't think that slight difference would be what caused it. If you're in week one, what are you eating that's carbs?
Amber2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

lol! Thank you so much for replying, Amber! I thought maybe there was a severe time zone difference. haha jk.

Thank you for the info about the period and the sticks too (first time using them, not even sure if I did it correctly) So, hopefully either one of those could be the culprit, and I am actually indeed in Ketosis, even though the ketostix are indicating otherwise.

In terms of what I'm eating and carbs, I'm only eating what they suggested. Just protein - smoked salmon, ham, egg whites. I occasionally have a coffee with either Unsweetened Almond Milk (1 g carbs) or CoffeeMate Sugar Free Italian Cream (about 2g carbs). Although they also said I could have 1 Dannon Light and Fit Greek a day, I noticed that had 9g carbs in it, so I don't eat that anymore. Really, my carbs are coming from my coffee creamers mostly. Also 1 or 2 from Turkey Pepperoni or Turkey Sausage. But I guess it adds up.

Last edited by emeghdir; 06-19-2013 at 11:18 AM..
Old 06-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: IMHopeful
I was told not to worry about ketosis. I rarely show anything. This is my third week and I am losing weight. So, I don't worry about it.
IMHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote