Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cricketleg
Stats: 212.8/194.2/165
Start Date: 12-29-12
Diet/Obesity Documentaries

I've been kind of addicted to watching obesity/nutrition/diet/etc. documentaries lately. But so many of them contradict each other...it's maddening!

Tonight I watched one I really enjoyed though....very entertaining and had a different take than the mainstream. It's called "Fat Head". Anyone ever seen it? If so what are your thoughts?

The others I've watched so far:

Vegucated
Food Inc.
Forks Over Knives
Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead
Hungry for Change

Any comments on any of them, if you have seen them?
Cricketleg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dariasen
Stats: 241/228/150-140
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 3/14/13
I love Fat Head. It helped cement my opinion that low-carb just works better for me.
I do agree that if you go on a docu-marathon they will contradict each other, just as many diets contradict each other. All in all it's what works for the individual person.
I tried being a vegetarian/vegan (as pushed in Forks Over Knives) and for me, it was worse for my health.
If you have access to HBO GO...I suggest Weight of the Nation. It was a generalized documentary. It did not push one plan on the viewer, but did have the straight forward advice like exercise, don't eat crap and journal you food.
dariasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: geobuilder
Stats: 05-31-07 234/200/185
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 05/31/07
I watched many documentaries as well. It goes to show there is not just one way to be healthy and you can choose which way works best for oneself. All of the documentaries seem to motivate regardless of the method.
geobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cricketleg
Stats: 212.8/194.2/165
Start Date: 12-29-12
It's frustrating to me because they all sound reasonable. Just watched Food Matters last night. Intriguing.

It's hard to know who's right. So many of them are opposite. I know that there is variance within each approach, based on individual needs. But there ought to be an overlying truth that applies basically to all humans....then, make adjustments based on the individual.

Hmmmmmm.....well, anyway....I find them all pretty fascinating.

Thanks for the suggestion, dariasen...I'll see if I can find Weight of the Nation.
Cricketleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Work is having a party today and there is a huge Carbuffet here of doughnuts, cakes, bagels, cookies, etc. I brought in a fruit platter and am watching some docs on Netflix quietly at my desk to help ground me with all the temptation.

Just finished Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Now on Hungry for Change. Unfortunately, they removed Fathead. I enjoy the humor in it.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
You can watch documentaries on this subject till the end of time and rarely will any of them agree with one another. I decided long ago to stick with what works for me, and look for information on that subject to update my knowledge base. It is just simpler for me.

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Another slow day of work, another day of Netflix docs.

Started with Monopoly and Scrabble movies but am now on America the Beautiful 2. Pretty good doc on just the "skinny myth". It tackles the BMI regulations and how people assume (including doctors) that skinny automatically equals healthy. It discusses eating disorders to bariatric surgery to the diet industry.