Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SJ3523
Newbie Question--Poor Results

Not sure where to post this, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I'm wrapping up my fourth week on MWL. I've found the program easy to stick with and I feel great.

BUT, I have a LOT of weight to lose and I expected when my calories dropped this low to be losing faster. The first week, I lost 3.5 pounds, 2.5 on week two, 2 on week three. This week, nada. My water level has stabilized, I'm in "trace" ketosis, which is the most I've been able to obtain adding in any carbs at all.

The MWL staff didn't tell me until last week to limit my fat grams to below 10 per day. The week before they surprised me by telling me to limit carb grams to 6 per day. Wish they'd told me that up front so I wouldn't have wasted the first three weeks.

So I've done that this week...and lost nothing.

I really, really want this to work but I feel as if I'm throwing $300 a month I can't afford down the drain.

Suggestions?
SJ3523 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jessica1129
Stats: 5'9 293/221.8/170
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: February 1, 2012
That sounds like a very low carb allotment to me. I was allowed 25-30g net of carbs a day after the first week. The first week was less than 10. I also wasn't given a limit on fat grams. I actually asked how many fat grams I should be consuming and they said "don't worry about that right now". They only told me to limit my cheese intake to 1-2 servings a day and one healthy fat serving a day. I'm not really sure what advice to give, and maybe someone elses clinic has told them the same as yours but it sounds very different from mine. How many calories have they told you to have? I was set at 500-700. What do you usually eat? Maybe seeing your meal plan may help figure it out.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Pretty much all I eat now is skinless chicken and a few sticks of celery or some lettuce leaves wrapped around the chicken. Two eggs uses up my daily allotment of fat. The celery and lettuce uses my carbs--doesn't take much to make up six per day. I'm supposed to be eating 1,000 calories of protein a day (because I do have a lot of weight to lose), but I'm having trouble getting over 800. A 300-pound person eating 800 calories a day should be losing weight. I'm pretty discouraged.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Yea there's no way I'd make it to 1000 calories of protein a day either.I'd ask to speak to someone else at your clinic about your carbs. Maybe someone else can chime in on their carb/fat allotment, but I definitely don't think they've given you enough. I started with 120lbs to lose and was still set at 500-700 protein calories, plus 100 calories of a healthy fat, with no set fat gram allowance. I eat 2 eggs or eggbeaters for breakfast, 2 all natural hot dogs (no bun!) For lunch and some kind of meat & veggies for dinner. Plus some cheese, and sometimes a carbmaster yogurt and usually a 100 calorie pack of almonds for my healthy fat. With what you're eating you should definitely be losing but I truly don't understand why they'd have you so restricted on the carbs and fat. I don't know if maybe having so little carbs and fat could be stalling you? I hope someone else comments here that may have any ideas! I don't see how they can expect you to stay under 6g of carbs when we're supposed to have 2 veggie servings or 1 veg & 1 fruit serving per day. My clinic didn't even give me a specific carb limit until I asked and was told 25-30 net (total carbs minus fiber)
Jessica1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for your reply! Yes, something is not right here. There are two or three staff members and one told me carb limits when I was going into week three and the other fat limits going into week four (really, I should have been told those after week one if those are the "rules"). I have an appointment tomorrow and am going to make them sit down and clarify. Hopefully, I'll get an answer!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I agree they should've told you all the "rules" after week 1! I think I asked during week 3 or so what my carb limit was, but they never mentioned the specific number before then. And as I mentioned the nutritionist at my clinic wouldn't even give me a fat limit when I asked. Definitely make them sit & listen & clarify everything for you! Its a lot of money spent on this program, and while its worth it, they need to make sure to answer all questions and figure things out with you! If they still try to say 6 carbs and 10 fat, I think I'd up both of those anyway and see if you have better results!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dinp120
Stats: 5'10" 199/157/140
WOE: Medi weightloss
Start Date: 5/18/2012
The low limits that they set for you just don't make sense to me...I would definitely ask to speak to someone else at you clinic. After week 1, I was told 20-25 carbs a day and 1 healthy fat serving (and some days I do more than 1 serving of fat). I wouldn't be able to last on the program if they told me to be that restrictive! I give you credit for sticking with it for as long as you have!

I've been going to medi for about 9 months and I have never heard of anyone only allowed 6 carbs a day, regardless of how much weight they have to lose! I hope you're able to get everything worked out and clarified when you go in this week!
Dinp120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dtg1990
Stats: 64" 163/126.6/120
WOE: Was Medi Weight Loss, now exercise/good nutrition
Start Date: Feb 2013
I was told to keep carbs less than 25 grams per day after the first week, and I was not given a total number of fat grams. I can imagine how frustrated you are. Seems like lots of protein to eat, and it is difficult to eat so much without having some fat or carbs come along for the ride.
dtg1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: suchissteph
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 5/5/2011 restart 2/26/13
I would ask what you are eating. I sometimes have issues when I calculate net carbs by consuming too many sugar alcohols.
suchissteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

I had a different counselor this time, and told her the numbers I'd been given. Interestingly, the previous counselor is no longer with them. Anyway, as all of you suggested, they'd told me the wrong thing. Now they're saying no more than 6 carbs per ITEM (not per day), or about 25 per day, and just to make sure the fat grams aren't outweighing the protein. Needless to say, I feel a whole new world of food has opened up to me LOL.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

That sounds much better! Although they never did tell me a carb per item limit, but each clinic seems to vary a little. You'll definitely have much more options now! I hope you have a much better week this time! Keep posting too! You should come over to the medi friends in 2013 thread. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CurvyGirl
Stats: 228/196/??
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ3523 View Post
I had a different counselor this time, and told her the numbers I'd been given. Interestingly, the previous counselor is no longer with them. Anyway, as all of you suggested, they'd told me the wrong thing. Now they're saying no more than 6 carbs per ITEM (not per day), or about 25 per day, and just to make sure the fat grams aren't outweighing the protein. Needless to say, I feel a whole new world of food has opened up to me LOL.
So glad you got some good information. The previous info sounded really fishy. I wonder if they'll give you a bit of a refund or a "free" session given you've had such an bad first few weeks. I'd consider asking...
CurvyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzanna1
Stats: 215/162.5/149 5'8" 38 years old
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinic
Did they clarify the low grams of fat per day? I would be concerned about staying really low consistently. Healthy fats are needed to keep our gall bladders happy & properly functioning.
suzanna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dtg1990
Stats: 64" 163/126.6/120
WOE: Was Medi Weight Loss, now exercise/good nutrition
Start Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ3523 View Post
How are you doing now?
dtg1990 is offline   Reply With Quote