Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Do sugar alcohols bother you? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/797125-do-sugar-alcohols-bother-you.html)

Cricketleg 02-13-2013 02:34 PM

Do sugar alcohols bother you?

I was having some GI issues yesterday and was just wondering if maybe the sugar alcohols in a sugar free item I had yesterday were to blame.

snickers..mama 02-13-2013 04:38 PM

It could be. I know a friend who swears that sugar free candy is the best cure for constipation. I find I have to be careful how si take the as and fat burner. Or I sm nauseous.

Jessica1129 02-13-2013 07:54 PM

Sugar alcohols do bother a lot of people. They don't bother me at all, no matter how much I consume but its common for just a little bit of sugar alcohols to bother some people. The bags of sf candy actually warn that they could have a laxative effect.

ravenrose 02-14-2013 11:03 AM

oh yes. they are awful for me! just as well, since they act just like sugar too. *sigh*

CrazyCatLady 02-14-2013 07:44 PM

Yep. I ate some SF Lifesavers and Nips at a work party - maybe 3 of each, and it made my stomach hurt and make loud gurgley noises. To speak plainly, it made me all gassy. Then another time I chewed a bunch of SF gum and got the laxative effect (along with the gassy thing) bad enough to have to take Immodium before I could leave the house. So I try to go very light on things that are made with sugar alcohols. Usually I have to really overdo it to get the laxative effect, but it only seems to take a little to cause some very uncomfortable and embarrassing gas.

CurvyGirl 02-15-2013 02:56 PM

Add me to the list of the people that answer YES! My stomach hates them. I can eat just a little and my stomach hurts terribly. Boo.

eptexy 02-19-2013 01:51 PM

Yep, I cannot eat them at all now. At first I was fine with them! Love love loved the Atkins bars. They were my saving grace. No more though. :(

tandt 02-20-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eptexy (Post 16268209)
Yep, I cannot eat them at all now. At first I was fine with them! Love love loved the Atkins bars. They were my saving grace. No more though. :(

Two of the Atkins bars do not have malitol in them, which is one of the "bad" sugar alcohols.

The one I have with me today is the Caramel Chocolate Peanut Nougat Bar. It has Sucralose in it, so maybe this one will not give you problems. :)

Mrs S 02-20-2013 11:39 AM

Thankfully they don't bother me at all but I'm still careful about them as it seems some develop sensitivity to them over time and I really want to continue to be able to have them now and then.

eptexy 02-21-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tandt (Post 16270157)
Two of the Atkins bars do not have malitol in them, which is one of the "bad" sugar alcohols.

The one I have with me today is the Caramel Chocolate Peanut Nougat Bar. It has Sucralose in it, so maybe this one will not give you problems. :)

That's the one that bothers me!! It was my favorite! So maybe it's the sucralose that I have a problem with? I remember once I ate one in the car on the way to a client meeting. My stomach was so incredibly loud and obvious! I've never heard anything like it! Super embarrassing!