Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Wellness phase, BMR machine (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/796113-wellness-phase-bmr-machine.html)

CrazyCatLady 02-02-2013 07:27 PM

Wellness phase, BMR machine

So I'm officially in the wellness phase. I mean, I thought of myself as already being there, but I guess the last two weeks were a transitional phase, and now it's officially wellness. :-)

At my last weigh-in I had lost fat and gained water, resulting in a 1 pound gain. I had a feeling I might gain water weight since I had been increasing my carbs. But at Friday's weigh-in I had lost 2.5 more pounds! And this was after eating 1300-1500 calories a day, and 60-80 carbs. I was really scared I had gained because it seemed like I was eating so much! So that was a welcome outcome.

At this appointment, I also did the breathing machine that is supposed to tell you your BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate, or the amount of calories you burn if you just laid in bed all day and didn't move. For my height, weight, and age, most calculators put me right at 1400 calories a day. You would then add a certain amount of calories to that to account for walking around and doing everyday activities. For me it's usually 200 more calories. Then if you are active on a daily basis, you would add even more, but I have a desk job and am pretty sedentary unless I'm specifically doing exercise, so I don't. So according to most charts, my BMI is 1400, and the amount I should eat to maintain my weight is around 1600.

Well, my result from the machine was... drum roll please...

1627 for my BMR!!! That means I should be able to eat around 1800 a day to maintain my weight. Apparently I have a fairly high metabolism, which explains why I've kept losing even after constantly eating above what the center told me to. Crazy, huh? They want me to start at 1600, and slowly raise it from there, making adjustments depending on if I keep losing, or start gaining. They said it could actually be somewhere between 1600 and 1800 (I think they were a little skeptical of it being as high as 1800), so I don't want to go crazy or anything. But hey, I'll take it! I never expected it to be more than 1600 total!

It's very strange and feels like I'm eating a LOT! But I'm still keeping track, and eating lots of vegetables & low fat foods just like before, just more of them. And I'm still keeping an eye on the carbs. It's funny to think how many calories I must have been consuming before to have gained so much. Especially when it feels like I'm eating so much food now! It goes to show that it makes a huge difference 'what' you eat, rather than just the amount.

Another thing that came up at my appointment is my clinic is really pushing me to put my name in for the cover model contest. The winner gets a photo shoot, a chance to share your story, and a paid trip to Florida to tour the main office. There are 2nd and 3rd place prizes that include $$$ and free products too. While it sounds pretty cool, I'm not really a person who likes to be the center of attention. So I'll keep yall posted and let you know if I decide to do it. Hey, it may be worth some free protein bars at the very least! LOL!

Keep up the good work everyone. And remember, if my lazy, stubborn butt can do it, anybody can!!! (I think that should be the new slogan). :hyst:

fitat50 02-02-2013 09:28 PM

That is great! Congratulations! What an accomplishment. I too am on maintainence. My BMR is 1420 which I have been maintaining and is doable! Let's keep it up!! We can do it. I don't want to go back to where I was!!!! Never ever!

beaching 02-03-2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady (Post 16236407)
Another thing that came up at my appointment is my clinic is really pushing me to put my name in for the cover model contest. The winner gets a photo shoot, a chance to share your story, and a paid trip to Florida to tour the main office...

Crazycat, there are so many things I want to say in response to your post...

But I suppose to sum it all up; you are nothing short of amazing!

You have been a dedicated, fine role model for Medi and for personal determination.

I adore how you have taken the maitenance and transition into wellness as important as the process.

Very smart lady.

You must enter any kind of marketing opportunity to let your accomplishments shine.

Shout from the hill tops, "look at me, here I AM"

:heart:

Jessica1129 02-03-2013 10:35 AM

Congrats Crazycatlady!! I agree with beaching, you should enter the contest!! You've done great and you deserve a chance to win!

CrazyCatLady 02-03-2013 02:08 PM

Thanks yall! I'll think about it. :-)

katew1129 02-04-2013 07:32 AM

Congratulations!!! So fantastic!!!!

You should definitely enter!! Great role model!

Cricketleg 02-04-2013 08:13 AM

That is awesome!! Congratulations! I'm jealous of your high metabolism, woman!

CrazyCatLady 02-04-2013 10:59 AM

Thanks everybody! As far as my metabolism, I really think my slow but steady approach to exercise has contributed to it, as well as eating every 2-3 hours. I only exercise hard at my class on Saturday, and the rest of the week I just try to move a little more than usual - like taking the stairs at work, getting up and picking up the house while watching TV, preparing my meals for the next day, carrying the trash to the dumpster, etc. These are things I would have put off in the past to do all at once, but now I try to do a little every day. And I never go more than 3 hours without food. I eat several small meals rather than a few big ones. I think all of this has probably increased my metabolism. I know I definitely have far more energy now than I did a year ago!

NCBookworm 02-05-2013 07:35 AM

You are awesome, CrazyCatLady! Thanks for posting about the wellness phase. It'll be cool to see how your body adjusts to this new calorie count over time.

I, too, find you to be a huge (the figurative "huge", hee hee) inspiration on the Medi board. You are so great at sharing tips and ideas. Just think--being the cover model would carry that inspiration to even more people! Let us know what you decide.