Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   A shot and a little wine..no ketosis? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/793098-shot-little-wine-no-ketosis.html)

chapman182 01-05-2013 03:29 PM

A shot and a little wine..no ketosis?

Hey everybody,

So yesterday I started a ketogenic diet regimen.
I follow all the rules, but just about 5 minutes ago, I was offered a small glass of wine at the salon I'm at. Without thinking, I took a few sips, and then had about a half shot of grey goose.

Other than that, I've only drank water and a diet soda, and eaten 4 strips
Of bacon and eggs.

Will this delay my body getting into ketosis? If I go for a 2 hour bike ride tomorrow, will that induce me into ketosis faster?

Thanks so much,

Shaun

chapman182 01-05-2013 05:46 PM

Bump. Please someone help?

Jessica1129 01-05-2013 05:57 PM

I'm not sure about the alcohol because I don't drink. I know the clinic told me though, no alcohol at all in the first 30 days after starting. It may delay your getting into ketosis, I guess it just depends how many carbs were in it. The bike ride should help burn off some carbs though!

chapman182 01-05-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica1129 (Post 16174384)
I'm not sure about the alcohol because I don't drink. I know the clinic told me though, no alcohol at all in the first 30 days after starting. It may delay your getting into ketosis, I guess it just depends how many carbs were in it. The bike ride should help burn off some carbs though!

Ah, damn! Is there anyway to get into ketosis faster? Would fasting and not eating anything make it happen faster?

Jessica1129 01-05-2013 06:28 PM

A lot of exercise can help get in faster. I've restarted twice and both times was able to get back in within 1-2 days by being extra active.

Jessica1129 01-05-2013 06:31 PM

Oh & I'm not sure but I don't think not eating would help. As long as you're keeping your carbs super low, its all about depleting the carbs you have stored.

chapman182 01-05-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica1129 (Post 16174384)

Also, can I eat cheese and get into ketosis? Or do I just have to stick to meat, fish, and eggs?

Jessica1129 01-05-2013 07:15 PM

Some clinics allow cheese in week 1 and others don't. Mine did & it hasn't slowed down my getting into ketosis.

chocolatefan 01-05-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapman182 (Post 16174415)
Ah, damn! Is there anyway to get into ketosis faster? Would fasting and not eating anything make it happen faster?

Hey I know we're all anxious to get into ketosis and start seeing results, but I wouldn't suggest fasting. You need to eat. (This is the mom in me talking, so my apologies :doh:) But I'm just saying...a diet with only 500-600 calories a day pratically is fasting. It's an incredibly small amount of food and to be honest, most dieticians would say it's too little and not safe. But this program only has us on this extreme caloric intake for one week. And you'll go into ketosis soon enough. I don't think one drink would ruin you, but even if it set you back a day or two--so what? This is a lifestyle change and you'll have plenty of days to think about what's best to eat and what to avoid. Fasting is a terrible idea...

Jessica1129 01-05-2013 11:15 PM

:goodpost:

Completely agree! I don't think not eating would make a difference as far as ketosis goes. You have to deplete your carb stores. It would surely make you feel awful too, and if you get the "carb flu" you don't want to feel any worse than you have to! You'll get there. I doubt what you drank will set you back by more than a day or so, even without any exercise. Maybe someone who does drink will chime in with their experiences!

beaching 01-06-2013 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapman182 (Post 16174088)
Hey everybody,

So yesterday I started a ketogenic diet regimen.
I follow all the rules....

Hi Shaun,

I'm not sure what rules you are following but I am certain that Medi prohibits alcohol, period.

Now, as a very social drinker and wine lover I am aware of the constant presence of alcohol everywhere and the social pressure and just damn pleasure of having some drinks.

I know that alcohol is not a part of the plan. I know how much I love wine, dining out and being with friends who are drinking.

But, I had to make a choice.

What is my priority? Chance a drink and hope it won't affect my progress or commit to my goal no matter what.

There are many ways to work around a drink or two, perhaps exercise more, drink more water, eat less...BUT this defeats the whole purpose of commiting to this particular plan.

I recognize everyone makes choices and I have no judgements if people make their personal choices that are different from mine. I think what's most important to understand about the effects of alcohol on a metabolic level is that although it has "no carbs" it does have a stunning effect on the fat burning process. The second you intake alcohol your body changes prioriities from a fat burning mode (when in ketosis) to using all it's energy to metabolize the etoh. This halts the fat burning mode and may signal your body to strat storing fat.

Bottom line: it's apersonal choice, alcohol definitely affects ketosis but to what extent- I can't answer.

Someone may know more than me but I believe that Medi recommends 10-20g of carbs in the first week and then I think it goes up to 25-30. You can maintain this with cheese but you may want to be careful of high fat cheeses as they will up your calories fairly quickly. LF mozerella, LF Laughing Cow cheese and LF cottage cheese are some of the common choices I have seen people make.

Hope that helps, Shaun, even if just to motivate you a little, because if you really want this, you can do it!

;)

Jessica1129 01-06-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaching (Post 16175250)

Someone may know more than me but I believe that Medi recommends 10-20g of carbs in the first week and then I think it goes up to 25-30. You can maintain this with cheese but you may want to be careful of high fat cheeses as they will up your calories fairly quickly. LF mozerella, LF Laughing Cow cheese and LF cottage cheese are some of the common choices I have seen people make.

The carb allowance actually varies per person, but for the most part its in that area. I was allowed 10 or less week 1, and 30 week 2 and beyond. I've seen some people be allowed up to 40, it just depends on the person and their activity level I think. Definitely stick with the low fat cheeses. I have a lf string cheese or reduced fat cheddar stick every day, it really helps curb hunger for me. Low fat plain greek yogurt is a great option too, and Krogers carb smart yogurts are allowed and they're really good. Great post Beaching!

snickers..mama 01-06-2013 05:07 PM

Let me confess that I tame the meat and cheese off of piazza. Once axweek or every two weeks. I tend to have a hard time mking 500 calories "so this rights my calories deficit. My clinic is aware that I do this. I am doing well overall. Plan inadvance. Ketosis will come and the weight. Will come off.

v