Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jessica1129
Stats: 5'9 293/221.8/170
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: February 1, 2012 - June 9, 2012; restart Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislaurie View Post
Angelbaby, Thanks for the shrimp dipping idea!
Mon...congratulations, what a great loss for you!

Ketone question, I seem to never get higher than "small amount" of ketones on my dip stick. This is only my 3rd week and I am afraid not being in moderate to high Ketone range is reducing the effectiveness of the program. ANy thoughts on how to get up to at least the moderate range? I will ask when I go saturday but just wondered if any experienced this too.

My clinic always said small to moderate was where I needed to be on the keto-stix and if I went any higher than moderate then I wasn't drinking enough water. If you're drinking your water like you're supposed to it shouldn't turn very dark. I don't think the level of ketones really has an impact on how effective the program will be. Are you checking in the mornings? What range do you keep your carbs in? When I'm on the higher end of my carb allowance it'll sometimes be lighter than when I don't have as many carbs.

Start date Feb 1 2012 - June 9 2012. Total loss 54lbs
Jessica1129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #122
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mon326
Stats: 273/260/180
WOE: Medi
Start Date: Jan 6, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislaurie View Post
Angelbaby, Thanks for the shrimp dipping idea!
Mon...congratulations, what a great loss for you!

Ketone question, I seem to never get higher than "small amount" of ketones on my dip stick. This is only my 3rd week and I am afraid not being in moderate to high Ketone range is reducing the effectiveness of the program. ANy thoughts on how to get up to at least the moderate range? I will ask when I go saturday but just wondered if any experienced this too.

just a thought.. i was in large ketosis a few times this week, my clinic told me it was because i was not drinking enough water.. mayb your drinking too much?? idk its just a thought
mon326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:16 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: beaching
Stats: 159/144/125
Start Date: 1/3/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mon326 View Post
I'm down 9.9lbs today! Now im off to the gym to see my weight loss progress continue!!

Congrats on week #1. You made it through the Medi hazing test.
beaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Morning Everybody!

Well, past the hump of week #2 and headed for second weigh in.

Interesting how psycholigically I was so excited to add salad/veggies to my meals, and while it's been lovely, I am completely satisfied with the core calories from my lean protein.

I am never hungry.

I did sense a slight sweet craving in the past 2 days, primarily in the afternoon. I thought about a couple of semi-sweet chocolate chips, perhaps a Medi PB bar...but I really worked on flexing my resistance muscle and got through the jonesing.

I woke up today with that wooosh of an evaporated feeling, as if I burned a sizeable chunk of fat overnight.

I must say that when I did Medifast a year ago, I would have some off plan chocolate chips to stave the sweet craving. It didn't seem to affect my progress at all. But this time I am really focused on seeing how long I can go 100% on plan.

It's mental work. The thoughts of tweaking float by.

But I now know it's Tuesday, 48 hours away from my reward and huge dose of incentive.

I searched the internet to read MWL blogs and found a few. It has become apparent to me that there is a great chance of regaining this weight on Medi (like every intense weight loss program) if I am not mindful and focused on properly transitioning into maitenance.

So, I am am thinking that my "goal weight" is the first step in reaching my most important goal of transitioning into maitenance.

Hope everybody is mentally strong!

Old 01-15-2013, 04:22 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

P.S. Friends, I was drinking Zero Powerade and thought it was a bit strong, ? salty for my taste. I started to dilute it with water and really liked it.

But to change up, I bought a bunch of Zero Vitamin Water on sale at CVS, got home, started to drink it and thought...hmmmm, this is so much sweeter tasting than the Zero Powerade.

When I looked at the carbs in the Zero Vitamin Water it said "7"!

Holy shizzers, 7 carbs?? Really???

Back to my Zero Powerade at less than 1 carb for 20oz!!!

Funny how 7 teeny carbs changes the picture for me.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #126
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NCBookworm
Stats: 245.6/188.0/155
Start Date: 10/19/12
Hi, Medi friends,

I'm super happy to report that at my weigh in this morning, I'd lost 5.8 lbs!

Last week I posted about how much the "newbies" (and Crazy Cat, who's almost at her goal) have inspired me to get my mental game in check and get back on plan 100%. For the first time since I started MWL in October, at last week's weigh in, I'd gained a pound! I'd lost a pound of fat, but my water gain was so much that overall, I was up one pound. I knew it had to have been the treats and drinks I'd been allowing here and there through and after the holidays.

Lucky for me, all of your enthusiasm and discussion of the basics helped me to get my head straight. I'm back on plan and had a great week. No more "cheating" here and there--it really was slowing down my progress. At my grandfather's birthday celebration this weekend, I had one bite of my husband's slice of cake. It was delicious, but I've got my eyes on the prize now, and I know the momentary satisfaction of an entire piece of cake is nothing compared to the satisfaction I'll feel when I reach my goal.

Beaching, I really liked your mention of flexing your "resistance" muscle. Have you read The Beck Diet Solution? Dr. Beck is big on flexing that resistance muscle. Great program for getting our minds in shape along with our bodies, and it complements any healthy eating plan (or "diet," as she calls it).

Thank you for the inspiration to recommit, everyone!
NCBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #127
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bluekate
Stats: 192/162/150
WOE: Mediloss
Start Date: 1/3/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mon326 View Post
first week of medi diet is finally over for me!! while hunger wasnt a big issue for me... having chicken deli meats eggs and cottage cheese was starting to become an issue! i was never so happy to see a salad for lunch and broccoli on my plate for dinner!! Anyways, I'm down 9.9lbs today! Now im off to the gym to see my weight loss progress continue!!
Congratulations....Great Job.

I know what you mean about the salad...lol.
bluekate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chocolatefan
Stats: 202/162/160
WOE: MWL
Start Date: February 2011
Survived Cheesecake Factory!

In week two and hanging in there! But family wanted to use Cheesecake Factory gift card and I didn't want to be a drag... So, they do have an amazing "Skinnylicious" menu and I ordered the Lettuce-wrapped chicken tacos: 216 calories and 14 carbs! Since I hadn't had many carbs before dinner, I felt okay about this--and it tasted FANTASTIC!! It was really nice to be able to go out and find something at a crazy place like that and enjoy the meal. No dessert of course, but I didn't feel deprived at all, and still in ketosis.

Let's hope my weigh-in goes well on Thursday!! Hang in there team!!
chocolatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #129
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Txhollyk
Stats: 243/169/155
Start Date: January 2013, restart Nov 13
Brand New & on Day 3

Hi all!

I am new to Medi -started the program on Sunday, feel fine - had headaches but couldn't determine if it was sugar/caffeine detox or sinus so drinking coffee and took some sinus meds. Hoping to lose 80 pounds, I have been successful losing weight in the past but tend to get it off and then go right back to the bad habits.

I am using the Bontril instead of the Phentermine and it really seems to be working, I have used Phentermine on and off again over the years and was worried that it would not work like it should.

Hats off to all of us on this journey!
Txhollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #130
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dinp120
Stats: 5'10" 199/157/140
WOE: Medi weightloss
Start Date: 5/18/2012
Great job to all of those that lost

Beaching, I also don't like the powerade zero...my clinic suggested smart water. I've been drinking that since week 2 on the program and its so easy to drink. I usually drink a 32oz bottle of smart water and then refill it 2 more times throughout the day. Just a suggestion if you don't care for the powerade
Dinp120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBookworm View Post
Lucky for me, all of your enthusiasm and discussion of the basics helped me to get my head straight. I'm back on plan and had a great week...
So glad to hear this Bookworm, if you're going to work hard with this plan, why not do it according to plan to get maximum results in the shortest amount of time. But even I admit it would have been really hard to concentrate during the holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatefan
So, they do have an amazing "Skinnylicious" menu and I ordered the Lettuce-wrapped chicken tacos: 216 calories and 14 carbs!
Great job, chocolate, you made a wise choice. Love Cheesecake Factory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhollyk
Hi all! I am new to Medi -started the program on Sunday, feel fine - had headaches but couldn't determine if it was sugar/caffeine detox or sinus so drinking coffee and took some sinus meds. Hoping to lose 80pounds, I have been successful losing weight in the past but tend to get it off and then go right back to the bad habits.
TxHolly, and good luck on week #1. It gets easier to adjust to after the first week. So glad to have you with us!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:02 AM   #132
Junior LCF Member

Beaching thanks for the support. I have a question that I assume has been asked before but I can't find anything on it... I am drinking my water and life water/gatorade but I am starting to get horrible calf muscle/ foot cramps. What can be done to make these stop? Nothing like waking up at 2 AM with cramps
Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhollyk View Post
Beaching thanks for the support. I have a question that I assume has been asked before but I can't find anything on it... I am drinking my water and life water/gatorade but I am starting to get horrible calf muscle/ foot cramps. What can be done to make these stop? Nothing like waking up at 2 AM with cramps
Txholly, you bring up an interesting point becuase I am at baseline the most sound sleeper and I had an awful time sleeping in my first week, and still have some awakenings during the night where I always used to sleep through.

I have restless leg symptoms. In other words, I don't have painful cramping but I feel like I have to get up and stretch out my calves.

I think ti may have to do with a slight electrolyte imbalance but I can't be sure.

The one adjustment I made was to take my last AS before 3-4pm.

Maybe someone else has similar symptoms and can chime in...
Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #134
Junior LCF Member

Thanks - I was going to up the electros today and see if that helps, otherwise this so far is pretty easy - my issue will be in keeping up with it financially but hopefully the not eating lunch out every day will balance the weekly fees.

The ladies in the clinic also mentioned that they were seeing a lot of medical ins companies reimbursing the weekly fees, so I am going to submit a claim and see what happens but I am not holding my breath.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #135
Junior LCF Member

Went for my weigh in today up 2lbs...I't TOM and it's water weight, but I'm bummed....oh well.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekate View Post
Went for my weigh in today up 2lbs...I't TOM and it's water weight, but I'm bummed....oh well.
Hang in there, Blue.

I am lucky in that I don't get TOM anymore but I remember well that for me, I was alwys +3 pounds no matter what.

I love the fact that you came here to share with us.

Next week's gonna be your week, just wait!

Old 01-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

What I learned in week #2

Hi Everybody!

I had another good week.

The big thing that I learned this week was the right balance of exercise and low calorie to avoid "starvation mode". (Not sure if I buy that theory of starvation mode but that's another topic)

I have found that somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes of moderate to intense HIIT (high intensity interval training) 4 x week with additional protein has worked well.

I haven't been weak, although I can't go balls to the wall with my workouts...I've made some adjustments especially with weights which are lighter than my usual.

I think the significant thing that I discovered is that the AS really work effectively for me. BUT it's a double edged sword.

I experimented yesterday by skipping the third AS of the day to see if I slept better. And, indeed I slept like a dream, like I used to sleep before the AS. However, last evening I was so acutely aware of the smell of hubby's grilled hamburger, the sight of the wine bottle, the knowledge that there's some delicious high fat cheese in our refrigerator. It was as if all my senses were on overdrive whereas when I take the appetite suppressants- I really think they supress that part of my brain that delights in the appearance and smells of food. It was really hard, but I made it and got a great night sleep.

So, it's a trade off for me. And for now I am going to continue with the 3 x day AS.

Hope everyone is doing well, staying mentally strong and feeling like success can be yours. Just put aside your cravings to allow room for what's most important.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #138
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NCBookworm
Stats: 245.6/188.0/155
Start Date: 10/19/12
Bluekate, don't even worry about that 2 lbs. of water weight! Next week will be a big loss if you stick to the plan. Keep drinking your H2O.

Beaching, congrats on another awesome week! You're right about the AS--it just shuts off the food-obsessed part of my brain. That part of my brain is so out-of-use now that I feel more and more confident it won't be turned back on after I've reached my goal and am maintaining.

After 3 weeks, my body adjusted to the AS, and there were no more sleep disturbances for me. I'm back to sleeping like I did before AS, and I usually take my last one around 5 PM and hit the sack by 10 at the latest.
NCBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #139
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaching View Post
What I learned in week #2

Hi Everybody!

I had another good week.

The big thing that I learned this week was the right balance of exercise and low calorie to avoid "starvation mode". (Not sure if I buy that theory of starvation mode but that's another topic)

I have found that somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes of moderate to intense HIIT (high intensity interval training) 4 x week with additional protein has worked well.

I haven't been weak, although I can't go balls to the wall with my workouts...I've made some adjustments especially with weights which are lighter than my usual.

I think the significant thing that I discovered is that the AS really work effectively for me. BUT it's a double edged sword.

I experimented yesterday by skipping the third AS of the day to see if I slept better. And, indeed I slept like a dream, like I used to sleep before the AS. However, last evening I was so acutely aware of the smell of hubby's grilled hamburger, the sight of the wine bottle, the knowledge that there's some delicious high fat cheese in our refrigerator. It was as if all my senses were on overdrive whereas when I take the appetite suppressants- I really think they supress that part of my brain that delights in the appearance and smells of food. It was really hard, but I made it and got a great night sleep.

So, it's a trade off for me. And for now I am going to continue with the 3 x day AS.

Hope everyone is doing well, staying mentally strong and feeling like success can be yours. Just put aside your cravings to allow room for what's most important.

Sue,

Awesome Job...Keep up the good work.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Hi Everybody!

Where is everybody?

Are peeps still on Medi?

Week 1, 2, 3+?

Going on week #3 here and much is the same.

My 3 meals are the same for the most part, getting a workout in every other day. Energy level is good and ASs are working well.

Hope everyone is mentally strong and rocking the program.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #141
Junior LCF Member

Week 3 for me and things are going well, trying to find some new food ideas, starting to get bored with the chicken....gonna start kickboxing this week, wooohooo.....
Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katew1129
Stats: 232/212/130
WOE: Medi-weight loss
Start Date: January 2013
Hello all! I had totally forgotten about this board and glad to have remembered and found it again! I did MWL in 2009 and lost over 100 pounds! I maintained for a year, got pregnant, had baby #2 and the craziness of life with 2 and working full time got to me along with some PPD and I put almost all the weight back on over 1 year and a half.

I tried many times in 2012 to do Medi on my own and just could not stick to it. I finally went back to the clinic on 1/4/13 and could not be happier I did. I am starting week 3 today and down 16 so far! 12 the first week, 4 week 2. I am so much more motivated now and glad I decided to invest the money in myself to get the weight off (and back in all my clothes!)

Glad to hear of everyone's successes in the new year!
katew1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Week 1 restart is almost over for me, and my husband is amost through his first week as well. We're doing this without the clinic for now. I went long enough before that I know what I need to do. I'm sure gonna miss the breakdown of their scale though! Hubby doesn't have a whole lot to lose so he's basically following the info I got, but he isn't keeping his calories as low. I didn't do the AS in the first place so that hasn't been an issue, and I was back in ketosis by day 3! Everything is going great so far. Keep up the great work everyone!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LTinNC
Stats: 206/175.2/159
Start Date: 3/30/12
you are all doing great! i may not post a lot, but i do like reading about your successes!

i have been doing media since march and i am about 15 lbs from goal. i lose weight very slowly, but it has been steady on media...til christmas. back on track now.

i weighed in last week and was retaining water, so i was really excited to go back today and weigh in....but we had ice on the roads this morning....so school was delayed, blah blah blah.

scale at home showed down 2lbs...so i will be happy with that, be good all week and weigh in next friday!
LTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #145
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: snickers..mama
Stats: 221/169/145
WOE: medi wt loss
Start Date: 12/2012
Starting week 8. Down 22.5 pounds. This week have a Gi test which means full day clear liquids. Did test week two and ended up light headed. We shall see how it goes. Should be down 3 pounds the hard way!
snickers..mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chrislaurie
WOE: lo carb
Thanks Jessica and Mon regarding your input on ketones. I did discuss this at my appt yesterday and they said not to worry the range as long as I am in ketosis. Although I weighed in 2 days early ...and at night instead of the morning, I lost 2 more pounds for a total of 15 in 3 weeks! And, 13lbs were FAT!!! Hooray!!! I am so excited. I have not kept up with this thread as much as I would like but am glad to see people here. Lets keep it going for each other. Most to be at the same week range so lets keep cheering each other on!

Snickers, what a great feeling to be over 20lbs lost!
Jessica, I am glad you have a partner doing this with you, My hubby has no interest...boO!
Kate, we are right on track with each other too!
Beaching...thanks for trying to motivate others to post!!
chrislaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Chrislaurie, congrats on your success so far! You're doing great. That's good that your clinic said the ketosis range wasn't an issue. I'm glad my hubby is doing it with me this time. He didn't when I started the first time. He has less to lose than I do though, so he will most likely reach goal before I do. It is nice having someone eat closely to the same way I do, although there's still some carby stuff in the house for our son. I'm glad this thread is so active! Keep posting everyone!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Hi Everybody!

NCbookworm, Blue- my RI buddy, Kate, Jessica+Hubby, LT, Snickers and Chris, thanks so much for responding to my nudge.

I was feeling a little alone in hear and I don't want to hijack this thread because it's for everbody.

Yet, I think it's so important to share when we can.

I'm so motivated by all my Medi friends whether they are in their first weeks, well into a couple of months, nearing goal...or at goal like Crazycat!

I have one little episode to report and that is I have been taking my first AS around 7am and then working out not long aferwards. Yesterday following my workout and while I was in the shower I felt my heart racing out of control. I grabbed my stethescope (RN) and sure enough that heart rate was not even countable. I layed down and relaxed, and my heart rate soon returned to normal.

But it was a bit of a scare and I will now take my first AS after working out.

Have a great weekend everybody...

And I hope you're routing for the Patriots!!!!

Old 01-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cricketleg
Stats: 212.8/194.2/165
Start Date: 12-29-12
End of week three and down 12.8 total. I'm stuck right at 200 for the last 3 days though and it's driving me nuts. I can't wait for Onederland!
Cricketleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricketleg View Post
End of week three and down 12.8 total. I'm stuck right at 200 for the last 3 days though and it's driving me nuts. I can't wait for Onederland!
Cricket, ya just need a good poop and you're there!!!

Seriously, that's why I never look at my scale all week long, just at clinic weigh ins because I would drive myself nuts second guessing every little thing I did!

You're doing great, you watch, you'll be singing Onederland reall soon.