Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #391
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Laurie North
Stats: 218.5/186.5/175
WOE: MWL
Start Date: August 10, 2011 and 2-18-13
Imisean,
Dining out and traveling have always been challenging for me. Some are very disciplined when ordering, me...notsomuch. I just don't go out a lot anymore...if I am going to feel deprived I'd rather not pay extra for the privilege. If you can lose 5+ pounds with 3 dinners out, you are my hero!
Laurie North is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #392
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CurvyGirl
Stats: 228/196/??
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislaurie View Post
Thanks Curvy, I drank my seltzer and went upstairs and gave baths, read and did multiplication facts with my kids. The phone rang and distracted me and viola....craving and hungries passed. You are right Curvy, get the mind distracted in some way! Ahhh... to another day tomorrow!
Yay! So glad it worked!
CurvyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #393
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AubieEllen
Stats: 170/155.5/145
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 03-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQusie60 View Post
AubieEllen - sounds like we are in pretty similar places...my stats are all about 10 pounds more than yours. I've lost 8.5 pounds my first 2 weeks; not quite as much as you. I have to say that being at 500 calories sounds so low to me. From day one at my clinic they were pretty open to the idea of going a little high on the calories as long as they were protein calories. I've never had a day under 700, and usually I'm closer to 1,000. I guess it probably is slowing down my loss, but I'm not sure I could do 500 a day. I think you're doing an absolutely awesome job!
Thanks SusieQ. Yep, we seem to be in the same boat. I initially, by myself, (running) lost a little over 30 pounds from Dec 2011 - July 2012. However, I gained 15+ back I started a new job in July '12 and the pounds crept back up. Therefore, I knew I needed some assistance!

My clinic is pretty flexible as well. I'll get 100 extra calories (earned) from exercise and then 100 additional. I double-checked my journal and consistently I am eating high 600's to mid 700's. I am eating the protein calories so if I need an additional snack I don't sweat it. Thanks again!!!!
AubieEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #394
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: reinvented
Stats: 234/187.6/165
WOE: Medi/Stillmans
Start Date: 4/17/2009 restart 1/22/13
Hi CurvyGirl welcome back to the States as everyone mentioned go back to week 1 and you should be right back on track. I went off plan last Saturday and went back to week 1 as of Sunday it was tough I'm not going to lie first 3 days were hard but I'm better now. Needless to say I won't be going off plan anytime soon. Hope this helps.

chrislaurie those days are the worst. Sometimes I don't think I can make it but just keep thinking of those 15 pounds and talk yourself off the ledge lol. This is such a process. So many days into this and still I get so weak.

I am trying to be more consistent in my workout intensity, I have been working out daily since starting the program maybe missed a total of a couple of days in the 58 days I've been doing this. Lately I've been having really lazy workouts so I'm trying to step it up. I don't only want to lose the pounds I want tone also.
week 3 = 3.6 216.6
week 4 = 3.2 213.4
week 5= 4.2 209.2
Week 6=1.8 207.4
Week 7= 3.2 204.2
week 8= no loss went off plan a day
week 9= 6.2 198
reinvented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #395
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jessica1129
Stats: 5'9 293/221.8/170
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: February 1, 2012 - June 9, 2012; restart Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtg1990 View Post
Have any of you tried Atkins bars? Yesterday I tried one for the first time and it was supposed to be 2 grams net carbs, but I am out of ketosis now!!!!! I thought I would get them because I have a plane ride that will be nearly all day and I wanted something a bit less expensive to eat than the stuff Medi sells us.

I'm able to eat them without any issues, but my clinic did warn me before I tried them that the sugar alcohols cause problems for a lot of people. They told me for some people it kicks them out of ketosis, or gives them stomach troubles or stalls their losses.
Jessica1129 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #396
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dtg1990
Stats: 64" 163/126.6/120
WOE: Was Medi Weight Loss, now exercise/good nutrition
Start Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica1129 View Post
I'm able to eat them without any issues, but my clinic did warn me before I tried them that the sugar alcohols cause problems for a lot of people. They told me for some people it kicks them out of ketosis, or gives them stomach troubles or stalls their losses.

I thought that I was ok since the doc told me to subtract fiber and sugar alcohols. But it has been two days now and I am still not in ketosis. I am limiting my total carbs to < 20 per day and still not in ketosis. I only had the one bar! It had 28 total carbs and supposedly 2 net carbs.
dtg1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #397
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lmisean
Stats: 195.4/185.2/140
Start Date: March 11, 2013
Thanks, Laurie North. I agree with you that it is tough. I would advise folks not to eat out if they can avoid it. It leads to unnecessary temptation...which could lead to going off plan and no one wants that.

I feel like I am finally hitting a groove in week 2. We will see at my weigh-in on Tuesday. I got my injections today and have been keeping my journal.

I would like to know what protein bars folks recommend. I like the medi bars, but I would like to see if I can find something less expensive.

Let me know if anyone has recommendations
lmisean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #398
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ictdeb
Stats: 5'7" 264/229/165
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 3/1/13
I weighed in today and am down 2 more pounds. According to the scale, I gained 2.5 pounds of water and lost a whopping 5.5 pounds of fat. Of course, I also went at 5pm instead of 7:30am as I have the past 2 weeks, so that has something to do with it. I AM going down, but I really wanted to be under 250. Next week for sure.

So this week has been spring break for the kids and me. Even though I still have to go to work, I don't have classes at night. It has been a nice break, and I found some extra energy a couple nights ago. Decided to dig out my TotalGym that's been wrapped in plastic in the basement since we moved 2 1/2 years ago. I also dusted off my poor old recumbent bike that I bought during my very first weight loss journey. Let's just say...OUCH!! I'd say it's good pain, but

Imisean, I like the EAS AdvantEDGE carb control bars. Double chocolate crunch is my favorite flavor, but there are others. Half of one bar (which is all I can eat) is 120 calories, 1 g net carbs, and 8.5 g protein.

Last edited by ictdeb; 03-21-2013 at 08:17 PM..
ictdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #399
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtg1990 View Post
I thought that I was ok since the doc told me to subtract fiber and sugar alcohols. But it has been two days now and I am still not in ketosis. I am limiting my total carbs to < 20 per day and still not in ketosis. I only had the one bar! It had 28 total carbs and supposedly 2 net carbs.
Yes you're correct, you subtract fiber & sugar alcohols for the net carbs. So the "2 net carbs" is correct. The nutritionist told me though that different people react differently to the sugar alcohols. Some people are fine. In some people it just causes stomach problems, and some peoples bodies react to it the same as regular sugar. You could be more sensitive to the sugar alcohols & that's why you got kicked out. If you ever check out Atkins on fb or even their boards on here, a lot of people have problems with their bars unfortunately. I read that they do make 1 or 2 without sugar alcohols, but I don't know which. You could try Quest bars. They contain little to no sugar alcohols depending on the flavor and range from about 2-6 net carbs. I've found them at the vitamin shoppe & whole foods. Hopefully you'll be back in ketosis soon! It usually takes me 2-3 days when I've gotten knocked out.

Start date Feb 1 2012 - June 9 2012. Total loss 54lbs
Old 03-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #400
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes you're correct, you subtract fiber & sugar alcohols for the net carbs. So the "2 net carbs" is correct. The nutritionist told me though that different people react differently to the sugar alcohols. Some people are fine. In some people it just causes stomach problems, and some peoples bodies react to it the same as regular sugar. You could be more sensitive to the sugar alcohols & that's why you got kicked out. If you ever check out Atkins on fb or even their boards on here, a lot of people have problems with their bars unfortunately. I read that they do make 1 or 2 without sugar alcohols, but I don't know which. You could try Quest bars. They contain little to no sugar alcohols depending on the flavor and range from about 2-6 net carbs. I've found them at the vitamin shoppe & whole foods. Hopefully you'll be back in ketosis soon! It usually takes me 2-3 days when I've gotten knocked out.
Well it was 4 days ago, and despite keeping carbs to 20 g or lower (more like 10 or so) I am still not in ketosis. Perhaps my strips went bad, I can't imagine one bar with 27 g of carbs keeping me out of ketosis for so long. I have had veggies (only 1/2 serving) twice since tuesday and no fruit since I started.
I can't imagine that I am not in ketosis. I really don't want to shell out more for more strips, they already tried to upcharge me for this past visit because I am on vacation next week (they were charging another 60 dollars for the 2 week prescription--I skipped the second week rx because most of the time I don't take it anyway).

We will see what the total loss is going to be. Still doing between 650 and 800 kcal per day. Hopefully it will be ok.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #401
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chrislaurie
WOE: lo carb
dtg, could you have had sugar somewhere? Check back and if you are not solely eating protein without sugar free ingredients that could be it! I am pretty made because I got kicked out by drinking a medium coffee that I thought had splenda but was sugar so I am now solely on protein until I get back in to ketosis. THe coffee wasn't even that good, it tasted a little burnt so that is why I did not catch the sugar flavor! Normally I wouldn't have drank it but my husband went out of his way to bring me one at work!!
chrislaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #402
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislaurie View Post
dtg, could you have had sugar somewhere? Check back and if you are not solely eating protein without sugar free ingredients that could be it! I am pretty made because I got kicked out by drinking a medium coffee that I thought had splenda but was sugar so I am now solely on protein until I get back in to ketosis. THe coffee wasn't even that good, it tasted a little burnt so that is why I did not catch the sugar flavor! Normally I wouldn't have drank it but my husband went out of his way to bring me one at work!!
Absolutely positive --no sugar. Eating hard boiled eggs, broiled chicken breast, grilled pork loin, and 1/2 cup of pickles (need the salt to keep the blood pressure up). Cooking it all myself. I had 6 oz of 0 % fat greek yogurt - sugar free/plain, and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese twice this week (7 grams carbs for the greek yogurt twice and 5 grams carbs for the cottage cheese twice since tuesday).

I mistakenly had some lunch meat thinking it was carb free in the first two weeks, then realized there was 1-2 grams carbs per serving, so stopped the lunch meat and am looking VERY carefully at ingredients.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #403
Senior LCF Member

Your strips definitely could've gone bad, mine have before. I'm not sure how much they are at the clinic, but Walmart sells the ketostix for about $6 for 50. That's where I get mine now, they're by the diabetic testing supplies. I can usually tell if I'm in ketosis based on my appetite. Have you been hungrier lately than usual? Hopefully your strips just went bad and you've still been in!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #404
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NCBookworm
Stats: 245.6/188.0/155
Start Date: 10/19/12
Jessica1129, I've said it before, but you are the best at giving correct, useful information! I know if I have a question, you will know what to do. I'm going to look for Quest bars this week. I've been buying Detour Lower Sugar bars. They're pretty good, but they do have sugar alcohols, and all of the sugar alcohol posts have got me thinking that I should do what I can to minimize my SA intake. Can't hurt.

dtg1990, I may have said this before, but to me, the best indicator of ketosis is fat loss. So many factors can throw off those test strip results. Are you exercising a lot? That can burn off the ketones so the strips aren't detecting them in your urine, but your body is still in ketosis. My strips would say over and over that I was in mild ketosis or not in ketosis, but I was losing fat like crazy and keeping my muscle, so I just stopped using them. Really interested to hear about your weigh-in results!

lmisean, so excited to hear about your groove! Woohoo! If you can tolerate a small amount of sugar alcohols, I recommend the Detour Lower Sugar bars.

ictdeb, you ROCK! 5.5 lbs. of fat is no small feat. I am amazed. You'll sail right past that 250-lb. mini-goal in no time.

reinvented, your exercise commitment inspires me to set another small goal for myself this week. I'm going to shoot for 4 workouts this week. No slacking. Thanks!
NCBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #405
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NCBookworm
Stats: 245.6/188.0/155
Start Date: 10/19/12
Oh yeah! I was down another 2.2 this week making it a total 50.8 pounds lost! That was my little goal for the week, to get to 50 lbs. My next mini-goal is to fit in those new jeans comfortably by this Friday, the 29th.

Like I said in the post above, I'm going to shoot for 4 days of exercise between now and next Sunday. We're having a weight loss contest at work, and next week is the final weigh-in, so I've got to make my best effort!
NCBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #406
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBookworm View Post
Jessica1129, I've said it before, but you are the best at giving correct, useful information! I know if I have a question, you will know what to do. I'm going to look for Quest bars this week. I've been buying Detour Lower Sugar bars. They're pretty good, but they do have sugar alcohols, and all of the sugar alcohol posts have got me thinking that I should do what I can to minimize my SA intake. Can't hurt.
Well thanks, NCBookworm! I always try to help whenever I can! My clinic always stressed to me to keep my foods as natural and "clean" as possible. The quest bars are pretty good for that, they're mostly natural. I haven't seen the detour bars before, I'll have to check those out also. I don't seem to have a problem with sugar alcohols, although I do try not to overdo it on them. And Congrats on your loss!! Keep up the good work!!!

Last edited by Jessica1129; 03-24-2013 at 03:27 PM..
Old 03-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #407
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ictdeb View Post
Imisean, I like the EAS AdvantEDGE carb control bars. Double chocolate crunch is my favorite flavor, but there are others. Half of one bar (which is all I can eat) is 120 calories, 1 g net carbs, and 8.5 g protein.
Hey, where did you find these bars? I've looked around my area with no luck. Any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #408
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBookworm View Post
Oh yeah! I was down another 2.2 this week making it a total 50.8 pounds lost! That was my little goal for the week, to get to 50 lbs. My next mini-goal is to fit in those new jeans comfortably by this Friday, the 29th.

Like I said in the post above, I'm going to shoot for 4 days of exercise between now and next Sunday. We're having a weight loss contest at work, and next week is the final weigh-in, so I've got to make my best effort!
WOOOHOOOOO NCBookworm!! That's fantastic. I love your energy!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #409
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Well thanks, NCBookworm! I always try to help whenever I can! My clinic always stressed to me to keep my foods as natural and "clean" as possible. The quest bars are pretty good for that, they're mostly natural. I haven't seen the detour bars before, I'll have to check those out also. I don't seem to have a problem with sugar alcohols, although I do try not to overdo it on them. And Congrats on your loss!! Keep up the good work!!!
Jessica: you're totally right about sugar alcohols and some people's tolerance. After having some SF chocolate and gummy bears, my stomach felt like a war was erupting inside it! Ugh. I have to be really careful with them. *shivers*
Old 03-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #410
Junior LCF Member

I'm still sucking at the medi plan the past week. I can't wait for my appt so I can get back on track. There's something about the weigh-in and talking to the counselor that helps my resolve.

My DH decided he wanted to do it with me, but not officially. I thought it would be helpful, but we are basically each other's non-support system. When he says: I want something good, I say, me too. And then we get pizza! Not good at all! Like I said: I need to get to my appt tomorrow. Can't wait. (well, I can wait for the weigh-in part; that will be ugly!)
Old 03-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #411
Senior LCF Member

CurvyGirl, I've seen the eas carb control bars at Kroger. They recently clearanced them out though, so I'm not sure if they're being discontinued or if my Kroger just isn't carrying them anymore. Your weigh in tomorrow may not be great, but that's ok! Just focus on the next one being better! My DH is doing low carb as well, although not exactly the same as medi. He hasn't deviated from plan at all since he started, so that makes it helpful for me. Hopefully your appt tomorrow will make a big difference for you! It used to really help me out when I got in, got my shots and talked with the counselors.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #412
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Emily227
Stats: 5'8" 200.6/186.2/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinic
Start Date: 3/20/13
Question for people who have been on the program

I am in my first week and doing well but I keep reading about people who go off the diet and eventually gain it all back. This is REALLY worrying me. Has ANYONE kept all of it off???
Emily227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #413
Junior LCF Member

NCBookworm, thank you! I'm going to break through 250 this week. Then it's on to 240. Congrats on getting to your 50 pound mark!! Those pants better fit on Friday. I'm pulling for you!

CurvyGirl, I ordered the EAS bars from amazon. Maybe gnc has them? Good luck today. I think that showing up at your appointment is half the battle. It might not be the best, but you have to be willing to be there and make the changes.

So happy Monday, y'all. I'm so glad I dusted off my Total Gym. Really never thought I'd say that!! A few months ago, I tossed a bunch of the cards from the deck thinking I'd never use it again. Had to go but a whole new deck so I don't kill myself by doing something wrong! Oh well...it's the price I pay for being stubborn.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #414
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chrislaurie
WOE: lo carb
Emily, your concern is true for any diet plan. You need to adjust this diet and make part of it your life. I had lost and kept off for a good year and half. Then I moved, my husband became unemployed and life turned upside down and as a result I lost my focus and just abandoned ship. You just can't go back to life and food as you knew it before. Everything in life has rules and once you get onto maintenance you need to still follow the rules of eating to live your life! Hope this helps!
chrislaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #415
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Emily227
Stats: 5'8" 200.6/186.2/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinic
Start Date: 3/20/13
Thanks so much! That is very helpful! I had gained a lot of weight from fertility treatments, so my eating habits were never super bad. I just hope that I will be able to have pasta again one day lol!!
Emily227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #416
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
ictdeb - Good for you for breaking out the TotalGym and recumbant bike....I have each of those too! They had been dust collectors, but it would be nice to be accountable with someone for them! Especially since it's too cold to consistently walk outside here yet! I got my TotalGym from a garage sale a couple years ago and it is probably a dinosaur version compared to yours....they didn't even have the owner's manual/exercises for that model online when I checked it out! I am so glad that you are on this forum and keeping us informed of your progress!

I started back on plan last week and I'm down 7 lbs....my body feels so much better (after going through withdrawal period ) now that I am on protein and in ketosis the past 3 days. This WOE just takes planning!! We can get there! I have about 4 months til high school reunion. I cannot be my HS weight again (116 lbs!) but would like to be 145 by then.
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #417
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lmisean
Stats: 195.4/185.2/140
Start Date: March 11, 2013
Hi All,

I had my week 2 weigh-in and I am down 4.4 lbs. That is a total of 10 lbs to date Sometimes when I think I don't want to do this anymore, then I try and redirect and keep my eye on the prize. This week should be interesting as my family and I are headed to the beach for spring break for a few days. I am going to try and stay on a modified plan, as I have to factor in us going to our favorite restaurants there. I am hoping us being extremely active will account for a few off plan meals.

Thanks for the recommendations on protein bars. I bought the detour low sugar from Costco. Have a great week!
lmisean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #418
Junior LCF Member

Emily you'll get to the pasta again, but it will probably be whole grain, a much smaller portion than before, and accompanied by other good for you foods.

fit2010 I challenge you to a duel! Honestly, they're all basically the same machine. My board is all taped up (with pink duct tape, of course) because our dog used it as a chew toy when he was a pup. You can find the TG flip charts on eBay or do a search on google and there's a site that has little animations of the and descriptions of the different exercises. Unfortunately the website isn't print friendly, and not so portable down to the dungeon where my equipment is. So I spent the $$ on a new chart.

Imisean WOW!! Congrats on a great loss in your 2nd week. Have fun at the beach!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #419
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AubieEllen
Stats: 170/155.5/145
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 03-05-2013
Weigh in #3 scheduled for today at 5:15pm! Although I would prefer to have my weigh ins in the AM, I can't take the time off work every week. Any one else weigh in the evening?
AubieEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #420
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the store recommendations for the EAS bars. No Kroger's around here, and they aren't at Acme or Giant. I'll try GNC and then maybe order them from Amazon.

Update: the snow kept me from my Monday meeting (Boo!), so I rescheduled for Thursday morning. Stupid weather in March!

I think a lot about what Emily wrote about in her post re: getting off plan and gaining weight back. I think for some people--who have never had a weight issue--it's easy to "diet," lose 20lbs, and just stay there. For me, dieting is all about lifestyle choices. I think staying thin will always be work for me. I love food. I use it socially and emotionally. To keep the weight off, I will always have to be vigilant.

I think a big part of this plan is breaking yourself of bad habits, but, as habits do, they have a way of creeping back up on you. So, chrislaurie is right. Any diet can lead to "relapses." But what medi offers me is a better understanding of how food affects my body. And that's good knowledge that I will hopefully apply now and in the future.

And now, I have to go try to break another habit: grade papers without eating a treat for every 5 I finish. This is an 11 year habit that is in serious need to karate-chopping down!