Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cricketleg
Stats: 212.8/194.2/165
Start Date: 12-29-12
Birthday coming up....ideas for a legal treat?

Hey y'all.

My birthday is coming up one day after my first week on Medi. I want to have SOMEthing special. Any thoughts on how I can celebrate with a legal treat?
Cricketleg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LTinNC
Stats: 206/175.2/159
Start Date: 3/30/12
after my first week on medi, veggies felt like birthday cake!!

but seriously, there are some low carb cheese cake recipes on this board, but you end up with an entire cake...too much temptation for me. so i took a serving of greek yogurt and put in a tablespoon of cheesecake flavored jello sugar free pudding (just the powder) and topped it with a few berries. i ate that while the rest of the family had cake.

i will admit, it was hard, but i just had to think about what i wanted more...to lose weight or to eat a piece of cake? that cake will be there when i am maintaining....

good luck! hopefully someone else will have other suggestions for you...
LTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I'm definitely going to have to think of something. Are there any ready-made store bought legal treats out there? I do have some leftover Nutrisystem desserts but I doubt they are legal even though they are low GI.

Question.....would a piece of cake throw you out of ketosis? I'm not planning on making a cake and eating a big ol' piece....just wondering how much carb is enough to throw you out of ketosis.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caterpillarinn
Stats: 178/144/140
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: July 2012
I celebrated my last with a high protein souffle. I dont think I will try that again but I found lots of low-carb high protein recipes. They do take some preparation & ingredients that you might not be used to. I figured it would help me in changing my lifestyle of cooking with butter & oodles of sugar & flour.

On a side note: I ate "normal" carbs in moderation over the holidays and I noticed a difference in my skin, mood, sleep. I'm starting to believe the hype over gluten-free lifestyle. Just saying.
Caterpillarinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCatLady
Stats: 5'6 229/147/145-150
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: May 11, 2012
I've found it's better to forget about treats altogether. I know it's hard to wrap your mind around, but you will eventually find you don't have to have these things. I now consider a sweet piece of fruit a real treat. That, or a protein shake. Once you get all the carbs and sugar out of your system, you will stop craving them. And believe me, that is a revelation, and soooo worth it! The other day everyone at work was eating fudge and cookies while I ate celery. It was very frustrating, but I stuck with it, and was so very glad I did! I did get a few snickers about how loud and angrily I was eating my celery, but it was all in fun.
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
The girl knows whereof she speaks. Again I go back to...WANT versus NEED. And your ultimate goal. Is eating something sugary and carby worth it? Or is your ultimate goal worth it. Only you can decide. You did not get to your weight by chance or coincidence. You are not going to reach your goal by chance or coincidence either. It will take work and concentration. Yep, I know I sound like a broken record. But remember too, I have been there, done that and can wear the t-shirt. It IS hard, but it is sooooo worth it.

And if you ask around, you will find that I will often tell you what you need to hear....not necessarily what you want to hear. Hang in there, you can do this.

Jo (desert-rose7)
Old 01-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chocolatefan
Stats: 202/162/160
WOE: MWL
Start Date: February 2011
desert-rose has the right idea... It's hard to move from thinking like this and I have to admit she's a better woman than I! I would still want a little something... And I guess my thing is that it's okay to splurge once in a while. In fact, I lost 40 pounds and I can say that I did have a treat now and then. I think it's unreasonable to expect that you will NEVER have a piece of cake again in life. That's just me. I think that food tastes good--plain and simple. I have explored my reasons for overeating and tried to find some deep, psychological explanation, but at the end of the day, I like the taste of good food. So, for me, the challenge is to learn to enjoy it in moderation. I'm still learning that and am back in week one to remind myself, and I think that for people like desert-rose, who can do without or find other satisfying treats, that's great! But I also think that not everyone is like that or can live like that--and it may be harder for me as a result, but I don't want to say that I will never eat a piece of cake again. That's not realistic and I will fail if I go into a program thinking I'm going to swear off good food forever. What I did throughout my weight-loss and it NEVER backfired or took me out of ketosis or ruined me, was to eat a small bowl of sliced strawberries and fat-free Cool Whip. I had it practially every night. I would even put it in a fancy dessert cup to make it look special.

Like I said, it sure would be nice to be able to just be okay with never indulging. I wish that were me, but it's not. And I have to say that I hope this board can accept that there are diverse ways of meeting the same goal, and not everyone has the same challenges. My challenge is to learn moderation because I'm simply not giving up peach cobbler forever. That's a real challenge and it's not easy at all. I don't go into this blindly--I've been here before, had success and failures along the way. The answers aren't the same for everyone and I have to say that for me, it's not helpful to hear, "Just say no" or "You'll learn to find that you don't need sweets..." What is helpful for me is to hear that I don't need them ALL THE TIME--which I certainly don't.

I didn't mean to ramble...I just don't want you thinking that it's wrong to want to celebrate your day and to do it with a treat. We beat up on ourselves enough. I think it's okay to acknowledge that you want it. And you're being smart to try to find an alternative--I think that's great! The fact that you are here means you are working very hard. Celebrate that!!
chocolatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Oh, chocolatefan.....thank you!

I had decided to come back and say about the same thing. I don't think there's anything wrong with an occasional indulgence and I, too, feel it's unrealistic to say that I will simply leave sweets behind me for good. Thank you so much for commenting. Thanks to all of you for commenting because, really, that's what helped me come to this conclusion.

Finding out that having low testosterone is part of the problem has helped me to not beat myself up about every little food choice I made in the recent past. Sure, I like food and the way it tastes and I go overboard, especially when stressed. But like chocolatefan, I just like food and I also love cooking and baking. My personal challenge is to find a way to enjoy foods, all of them, in moderation while maintaining an active lifestyle. I think I can do it!

For now, though, I recognize that it's my job to stick with Medi as closely as possible while I find my way. On that journey I'm already finding foods that are absolutely delicious and healthy...and I never would have thought to put them together without Medi (most recent example is Kroger's Carbmaster Carrot Cake Yogurt combined with cottage cheese...SO good!).

I imagine once a month or so I will have a small treat and just learn to be okay with it. For my particular brain, putting all sorts of foods on the banned list forever is a recipe for disaster. Some people can do this, I really don't think I can. I look forward to finding healthier ways of enjoying things too, though. I'm excited about trying the Medi recipes!

I appreciate so much all of your comments. You really have helped me to search and ponder my own feelings about things. I feel really comfortable with where I stand now. I think part of it is seeing that having that piece of cake (even though I didn't intend to) didn't screw everything up. I was and still am in ketosis.

Not trying to make excuses....just trying to find my way. And I'm really enjoying the journey thanks to all of your wonderful comments and suggestions. Thank you so much!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dinp120
Stats: 5'10" 199/157/140
WOE: Medi weightloss
Start Date: 5/18/2012
I agree Cricket! I was extremely strict my first few month of Medi. I didn't cheat and really didnt want to...but I think that's because I knew I wasn't swearing certain foods/drinks off forever. I am close to my goal now and have gone from a size 14 to a 6...and I do allow myself to indulge every now and then. I allowed myself to eat everything that appealed to me both Thanksgiving and Christmas and ten got right back on track the next day. I didn't go overboard and I personally feel the reason for it was because I went into the day telling myself it was ok to have a treat. If not, I think I would have felt like I messed up and then binged on everything.

I was also an avid wine drinker before I started the program. Again, I stayed away from alcohol for my first 4 months on the program and now I allow myself to indulge 1 night a week. I have noticed that my weightloss has slowed since adding the wine back it, but like you said, it wasn't realistic for me to say I was never going to have a glass of wine again.

I know everyone has different thoughts on this, but I feel that I am just setting myself up for failure if I believe there are certain things I will never have again. Moderation and self control is what is important. Medi gives us the tools and knowledge. It is up to us to apply it to our own lives.
Dinp120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:25 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: beaching
Stats: 159/144/125
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 1/3/13

Such great posts Dnip, Cricket, Chocolate and Jo!

This is genuine support at it's finest as we (especially week oners) are processing the important cognitive component of regaining control.

I couldn't have said it better than Dnip in that for me, the first few months, first 75% of my journey to goal will be very focused on commiting to the Medi plan as instructed only because I want the fastest, safest weight loss possible up front.

Once I feel comforatble, I will definitely learn to adjust to what works for me in that I am continuing to lose weight, perhaps slower but within the LC lifestyle. An occasional treat will definitely be a part of this.

I always respect when Medi friends come forward to discuss or confess what they feel is indiscretion (hate the word "cheating"). I always hope that my responses are respectful, perhaps nudging but all for the purpose of motivating.

I'm so appreciative of this discussion.

Last edited by beaching; 01-07-2013 at 04:26 AM..
beaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Yes...Like others, I'm in week one and I'm being pretty strict about it, knowing this isn't forever (in fact, it's only 3 more days!). But I also know that this program WORKS. I already feel a little lighter--far less bloated, and the cravings have subsided. I know that I have to follow the rules closely until the weight is gone, and then figure out how to moderate things a bit better. Like Cricket, I also plan to build in a treat or two along the way. In fact, this might sound crazy, but the last time I did this program and lost a bunch of weight, I found that the occaisional treat actually jumpstarted things after a brief plateau. I don't remember the rational or the chemistry of it, or why it worked, but I think that the body gets so used to surviving with less that the weight-loss slows down. Then, the treat sort of tricks the body into thinking things have changed?? Somebody with more knowledge about this can chime in, but I just know that a treat once a month or so actually HELPED when I was losing.

I guess the botttom line for me is that we are surrounded by great food all the time, and the good news is that so many healthy things taste amazing. My challenge is to 1) enjoy more of the healthy "treats" and feel great; and 2) know when it's too much of a good thing with the not-so healthy treats.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

This has turned into a really great thread! Love it.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
Understand me clearly, please. I did not intend to imply that you will NEVER again eat cake, ice cream, candy or whatever treat you prefer. What I AM saying is that getting started on a program such as MWL, it is important to adhere to the principles of the program while your body is getting used to this new way of looking at food. By indulging, even on a minor basis, in a food that is not "on the list" in the first few weeks/months of the program, you are not allowing your body to settle into a new mode. The inclination/craving for sugar/carbs is strong in all of us because of the modern diet and because of the "I deserve it" mentality we have all developed over the years.

None of us got to our particular weight by denying ourselves treats, whatever they may be.We just ate them. This program pretty much makes you actually think about what you are putting into your mouth and into your body. I guess it is your choice to make, but for me, keeping to the strict side of the program got me to my goal. I began the program during the Christmas holidays - lovely time of year - but a difficult time to start the program. I knew that if I could make it through the holidays, I could be successful. And I did, I lost 11 pounds that first week. Terrific motivation.

And now, I have just made it through another holiday season. After four years following the principles, and staying low carb/low sugar/low fat - I have maintained my weight within a 5 pound axis - up or down. Yes, I went up two pounds over the holidays. But it is already back down again. A few days of week one, and I am back to goal weight. Oh, and in case you ask - I did have a slice of eggnog cheesecake, nibbled on a few cookies on my family's Cookie Day, and enjoyed a brandy after Christmas dinner. And I walked my 6 miles every day as well.

It can be done. You will not be living a deprived life, trust me. Just make your choices carefully and wisely. Stay with the program to get to your goal. The clinic will help you as you get close to goal to learn the way to introduce certain foods back into your daily regimen.

You CAN do this!

Jo (desert-rose7)
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:31 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
Understand me clearly, please. I did not intend to imply that you will NEVER again eat cake, ice cream, candy or whatever treat you prefer. What I AM saying is that getting started on a program such as MWL, it is important to adhere to the principles of the program while your body is getting used to this new way of looking at food. By indulging, even on a minor basis, in a food that is not "on the list" in the first few weeks/months of the program, you are not allowing your body to settle into a new mode. The inclination/craving for sugar/carbs is strong in all of us because of the modern diet and because of the "I deserve it" mentality we have all developed over the years.

None of us got to our particular weight by denying ourselves treats, whatever they may be.We just ate them. This program pretty much makes you actually think about what you are putting into your mouth and into your body. I guess it is your choice to make, but for me, keeping to the strict side of the program got me to my goal. I began the program during the Christmas holidays - lovely time of year - but a difficult time to start the program. I knew that if I could make it through the holidays, I could be successful. And I did, I lost 11 pounds that first week. Terrific motivation.

And now, I have just made it through another holiday season. After four years following the principles, and staying low carb/low sugar/low fat - I have maintained my weight within a 5 pound axis - up or down. Yes, I went up two pounds over the holidays. But it is already back down again. A few days of week one, and I am back to goal weight. Oh, and in case you ask - I did have a slice of eggnog cheesecake, nibbled on a few cookies on my family's Cookie Day, and enjoyed a brandy after Christmas dinner. And I walked my 6 miles every day as well.

It can be done. You will not be living a deprived life, trust me. Just make your choices carefully and wisely. Stay with the program to get to your goal. The clinic will help you as you get close to goal to learn the way to introduce certain foods back into your daily regimen.

You CAN do this!

Jo (desert-rose7)
Love this!!! I completely agree. Perhaps I misunderstood some of the comments above...I think this is exactly right: Strict as possible at first, then learn what works and what doesn't (or can't). I''ll be winding down week one on Thursday and have been incredibly strict about it for two reasons: 1) I know it's going to pay off; and 2) It's just the beginning. This is a lifelong journey to understanding good eating habits--it's not a prison sentence of sliced meats and egg whites!

Thansk so much for clarifying your thoughts!