Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCatLady
Stats: 5'6 229/147/145-150
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: May 11, 2012
Mock Oatmeal (TVP)

I found this recipe and had been meaning to try it for a while. I even bought the TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein), but was very leery of what it was going to taste like.

Well, I finally tried it and was very pleasantly surprised! It makes a very acceptable mock oatmeal! There is no real taste to it, so it just absorbs the flavor of whatever you add to it, and the texture is very much like oatmeal. I also added some shredded coconut, which helped contribute to that texture.

The original recipe was for a large amount cooked in the oven, but one of the reviewers gave instructions for a single serving cooked in the microwave, which is what I used and provided below:

1/3 cup TVP (I used Bob's Red Mill High Protein TVP)
1 cup water

Cook on high for 2 1/2 min, then on half power for 10 min. The instructions didn't say whether to cover it or not, so I covered it loosely. I added sweetener and almond milk, and some shredded unsweetened coconut (just because I had some and have been adding it to everything).

The TVP alone is:
Calories: 106
Carbs: 9 grams-5 grams Fiber = 4 Net Carbs
Protein: 16 grams
Of course your additions will add to that.
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cricketleg
Stats: 212.8/194.2/165
Start Date: 12-29-12
Is this something that a week 1-er could eat? I am missing oatmeal and would love to try this. If I can find the TVP locally.
Cricketleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCatLady
Stats: 5'6 229/147/145-150
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: May 11, 2012
Technically I would say yes, but it really all depends on if you can fit it into your carbs and calories for the day. It's basically defatted soy flour, so I would think it's not much different from eating tofu. You can always call your clinic and ask to be on the safe side.

But don't be in too big of a hurry to find replacements for your favorite carbs though. I think it's good to realize you can live without them. At least it was good for me! :-)
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote