Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCatLady
Stats: 5'6 229/147/145-150
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: May 11, 2012
Attempting Pumpkin Bread using Carbquik

I have been looking for a recipe for low fat, low carb, low calorie pumpkin bread, but have been having trouble finding one. I ended up combining several, along with several tips to make it healthier. I'm cooking it right now, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

To keep the carbs down, I used Carbquik, which is like a low carb, high fiber Bisquick. So far I've only used it to make biscuits, which I thought were really good. There is what I consider a very light taste to it (which I can't really describe) that keeps it from tasting exactly like Bisquick, but overall I'm very impressed with it. I also used EZ-Sweetz for the sweetener, which is liquid Sucralose. Both of these items I ordered from Netrition.

To keep the fat down, I had several different tips to choose from, and wasn't sure which to combine. I ended up using one whole egg, and 1/2 cup egg beaters (to substitute for the 2-3 eggs called for in various recipes), 1/2 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt (to substitute for the oil that was called for in some recipes, but not all), and I used a whole can of pumpkin, rather than the 2/3 to 1 cup called for in most recipes, because I read that pumpkin can used as a substitute for oil as well (and also I didn't want to store the left over pumpkin - I was being lazy). Because I used both extra pumpkin and the yogurt, I left out the 1/4-1/2 cup of water called for in most (but not all) recipes, and upped the Carbquik to 2 cups, from the 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups of flour most called for.

So as you can see, the amounts vary a lot from recipe to recipe, and using substitutions changes it up even more. I'm a bit concerned it will be gummy or not get done in the middle, but we'll see how it goes!
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Well, I am having a little trouble getting it done in the middle, so I'm cooking it a little longer on low with foil on the top (to keep it from getting too brown). But the um, somewhat undercooked piece I just devoured was soooo good!!! I've found a couple of recipes calling for a whole can of pumpkin, and they call for 3 cups of flour, so I may need to up the Carbquik in future recipes. Or, if it turns out good after cooking it longer, I may leave it as is. Either way, I would call it a success, but it may still need some tweaks. When I get the recipe perfected, I'll post it (unless someone wants the current recipe so they can play with it themselves).
Old 11-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Well, I cooked it an extra 30 minutes on low with foil on top, and I'm still not sure it's quite done (although it is definitely edible). I'll see how it is tomorrow after it cools (maybe it will seem more done then). Regardless, I'll probably up the Carbquik in my future attempts. I'm thinking 1/2 to 1 cup more and leave the other ingredients the same. I'll probably attempt it again pretty soon, I have all the ingredients already. I'll let yall know how it goes.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bahet
Stats: 280/208/149
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 05/03/12
I like you. You're funny! LOL Glad it turned out well. You should be able to substitute pumpkin for oil. I usually use applesauce instead of oil when I'm baking. I just use 100% applesauce (no corn syrup junk) 1:1 in place of oil. It makes cakes and baked goods even moister without the fat and calories.
Bahet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

LOL, thanks! I knew you could use applesauce, but pumpkin has a lot less carbs and less calories. I'm going to make the pumpkin bread again for Thanksgiving. I'll probably up the carbquik by a whole cup. I'm also going to try making the Eggnog pie that is made out of eggs, carbquik, Davinci Sugar Free Egg Nog Syrup. Here's the link to the recipe: Carbquik Recipes. And since I really miss sausage and gravy, this recipe sounds good:
Sausage Gravy (Chef Greg)
Servings: 4-6

1 pound breakfast sausage
4 tablespoons Carbquik
1 1/2 cups Hood whole milk
Salt and pepper, to taste

In large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook and crumble sausage to lightly brown. Sprinkle CarbQuik over sausage in skillet, stir to blend, add milk to pan all at once. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat, until thickened and bubbly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If desired, serve over hot baked [Carbquik] biscuits.

Per Serving 230 Calories; 23g Fat); 16g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; Net Carbs 5g or 3g based on 6 servings
Old 11-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Well, my second attempt at Pumpkin Bread turned out awesome! Here's my recipe:

Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin, 15 oz can
Carbquik Baking Mix, 3 cups
Kroger Egg Substitute, 1/2 cup
Baking soda, 1.5 tsp
Baking Powder, 1.5 tsp
Dannon Oikos-Fat Free Greek Yogurt Plain, 1/2 Cup
Ez-Sweetz Sucralose Liquid Sweetener, 45 drops
Nutmeg, 1 tsp
Pumpkin pie spice, 1 tsp
Cinnamon, 1 tsp

Mix thoroughly and cook in a loaf pan sprayed with Pam for 1 hour at 350 degrees, or when done in center. A 1/8 serving has 144 calories, 6 net carbs, and 11 grams of protein. And because it's high fiber, it's very filling.

My Eggnog Pie was also very good, but I used Eggbeaters instead of eggs, and I think that kept it from holding together and being as custard-like as it was supposed to be. It was tasty, but wasn't as thick and creamy as it should have been. I think I will try a mixture of eggs and eggbeaters next time, or maybe just all eggs.

Last edited by CrazyCatLady; 11-23-2012 at 10:36 AM..