Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCatLady
Stats: 5'6 229/147/145-150
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: May 11, 2012
I made the BEST chili last night!

I've never really had a recipe for chili, in the past I'd just throw together leftover beans, ground meat, canned tomatoes & chilies, a can of tomato soup, a packet of taco seasoning, onions and lots of hot spices. So to make it lower calorie and carb, I left out the beans, used ground chicken, only used 1 cup of canned tomatoes and a can of green chilies, substituted chicken broth and water for the rest of the liquid, and added fat free cream cheese to thicken and flavor the broth a bit more. I also used lots of Mrs Dash Onion and Herb along with chili powder, cumin, both cayenne & chipotle ground pepper, garlic salt and a tablespoon of taco seasoning. I can't get over how good it is! The only thing I'm unsure of is the carbs in the Mrs. Dash, because it says 0 carbs and calories, but I used quite a bit of it. But other than that gray area, a big 2 cup serving has 300 calories, 8 net carbs and 33 grams protein. Most of the carbs come from the seasoning (I like my chili very spicy). Just thought I'd share since it's chili weather!
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LTinNC
Stats: 206/175.2/159
Start Date: 3/30/12
thanks! i have been meaning to search here for a medi chili recipe! the next week will be cool here. think i will make some of your recipe and eat on it and freeze some! lisa
LTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I brought some for lunch today, and in the past I would have eaten leftovers over rice, but I used cauliflower instead (I didn't rice it, just chopped it in small pieces), and it's really good that way too!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I came across a recipe that is similar to what I created, but I cut down the calories quite a bit by not adding cream and using far less cream cheese and more broth. I also used chicken instead of turkey, didn't add beans, and cut down on the tomatoes (the last two lower the carbs). Mine had less liquid too, which made it more 'chili' like to me than soup (and ups the protein per serving).

Creamy Turkey Taco Soup
INGREDIENTS
20 oz. Lean Ground Turkey
28 oz. Beef Broth
1 cup - Heavy Cream
8 oz. Cream Cheese - Softened
3/4 cup Sweet Onion - Diced
3 Cloves Garlic - Minced
1 - 15 oz. can Black Beans - Drained
1 - 14.5 oz. can Mexican Seasoned Stewed Tomatoes
1 - 10 oz. can Rotel
2 Tbs. Cumin
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt

DIRECTIONS
Heat crock pot on low setting. Add black beans, stewed tomatoes (undrained), Rotel (undrained), beef broth, and garlic - Cover

In large saute pan over medium-high heat, combine ground turkey, onion, cumin, chili powder, and sea salt. Saute until turkey is cooked through - About 15 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add cream cheese to pan and mix until completely combined with turkey mixture.

Add turkey mixture, and heavy cream to crock pot. Stir until all ingredients are well incorporated. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Makes 15 Servings:
1 Serving: About 1 cup
Calories: 178
Carbs: 6 net g
Fat: 10 g
Protein: 4.5 g
Old 10-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I ate all my chili, so I decided to make a pot of soup tonight. It's kind of a combo of the chili and the recipe above and it turned out soooo good! I used ground chicken, the same seasonings as my chili & cream cheese, but no tomatoes or chilies this time. Instead I added zucchini, cauliflower, spinach, parmesan cheese, and about 6 Kraft fat free cheese slices. A 2 cup serving is 200 calories, 8 net carbs, 22 grams of protein. I kind of over-did the vegetables, which lowered the calories, but lowered the protein per serving as well. Plus the carb to protein ratio isn't as good as the chili was (although it's still acceptable to me). Next time I will use about half the amount of veggies, but I'm definitely making it again!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Oops, looks like I miscalculated, it's more like 275 calories 11 net carbs, and 29 grams of protein. Of course yours will differ depending on how much you used of each ingredient, but I wanted to give a good estimation.