Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   End of Week One- Not in ketosis!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/783482-end-week-one-not-ketosis.html)

Chrisd 09-18-2012 04:44 PM

End of Week One- Not in ketosis!!

I am going for my weeek 1 appt tomorrow, and so far I am not in ketosis. I have been following the program although I might be over the 650 max calories per day, but not by much (700?)... Basically no carb though- MWL shake, 1/2 cup cottage cheese in AM. Boneless, skinless chick strips w 1/2 cup cottage chz and 1/2 pickle at lunch, and same for dinner.. TONS of water and Zero Powerade... No exercise yet... All supplements... Just wondering how long it takes to get there?

Dinp120 09-18-2012 06:49 PM

At my clinic, we could not have the shakes or cottage cheese until week 2. Eating more than 1/2 cup cottage a day can keep you out of ketosis, so it might help if you try to cut back on that. Another suggestion I have would be to measure/weigh everything you eat. It's important, especially in the beginning, to know exactly how many calories you are eating per day. It's definitely a little trial and error but you'll figure it out :)

Chrisd 09-18-2012 07:30 PM

Wow

I told them yesterday when I went for shot what I was eating, and they said it was ok.... Bummer.. I will ask about this tomorrow at my first check-in... Thanks for your help!

Chrisd 09-18-2012 07:34 PM

Also

I have been very good at weighing and journaling everything... Thinking back to Friday- the girl who gave me my shot even suggested doing the shake in the morning with fat free greek yougurt.. So I bought the shake and started the next morning...

Jessica1129 09-18-2012 08:25 PM

It just takes longer for some people than others. It could also be possible that your keto stix are defective. Ask them to test you at your visit. Shakes, cottage cheese and greek yogurt were allowed for me from day 1, so I think that varies per clinic. I was in ketosis on day 3, but again it can vary per person. Are you testing in the mornings? If you're waiting until later in the day, that could be why it isn't showing up. Good luck at your weigh in!

Chrisd 09-19-2012 06:14 AM

Yes I test 1st thing in the morning.. Thanks for the reply- good to know the cottage cheese and shakes were allowed for you too... I was afraid I might have a bad clinic!

Jessica1129 09-19-2012 08:43 AM

I see you're in Richmond too. Which clinic are you going to?

ravenrose 09-19-2012 10:08 AM

how do you know whether you are in ketosis? urine tests on a strip are not reliable since they measure only one type of ketone and not the main one most of us produce. unless you are using a blood ketone monitor, do you KNOW whether you are in ketosis or not? are you losing weight? I would question the assumption you are not in ketosis in any case. Though new research shows it takes some people longer to do it that others, so maybe you just need a few more days.

MiniMomma 09-19-2012 03:08 PM

hang in there we are all different, as long as your losing its good. I was allowed cottage cheese and plain greek yogurt on week one but didnt do the shake products. Stick to it you will do great

CrazyCatLady 09-22-2012 09:19 AM

On my first week I had to eat 500-600 calories of protein, and no more than 20 grams of of carbs a day. If I wasn't in ketosis by the end of the week, the plan was to then reduce my carbs to 10 a day. So just a thought, maybe you need to reduce your carbs. I remember I ate lots of chicken, lunch meat, egg beaters, Eas AdvantEdge Carb Control Protein Shakes, and no more than one serving of cottage cheese a day. All except the plain chicken have some carbs, so you have to keep track very carefully to not go over.