Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MathSci
Stats: 303.5/253.0/200
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: November 26, 2013
Struggling/Losing Motivation/Thinking about making a change

I've really been struggling the past 2 weeks trying to stay on the program, but I have not been successful and have cheated a lot. I've lost 99 lbs this year and I love all the compliments I have received. I even had a great time going shopping last weekend for new clothes in my new size. However, the fact is I could stand to lose another 99 lbs and I just don't have focus that I had before. I'm so tired of eating the same stuff over and over again. I miss going out to eat with friends. My finances are taking a big hit due to the cost of the weekly visits and it's depressing to see my bank balance going down. I've thought about quitting altogether and just trying to watch what I eat. And I've thought about changing and doing Weight Watchers online so I can at least have some more variety in my diet. I'm just afraid that I will regress and start gaining weight. I've never been successful keeping weight off. I guess I just need an attitude adjustment and not sure how to get one. I thought about bringing this up when I go in for my weekly visit, but my clinic has mostly new people now and I don't feel comfortable bringing it up to the new PA (who seems to be the one I always get now and she's not the most positive person).

Sorry to be so cranky! I'm just frustrated with myself. I pushed my appointment back from Tuesday to Friday so I could have some time to try to rededicate myself to this diet.
MathSci is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiniMomma
Stats: 165.6/124.6/125
WOE: Medi 1-9-11
I started out with WW and could never seem to lose what I needed, I was hungry all the time and was a mess. That being said, with WW you can also be very aware of your carbs and not go crazy. The other thing that helped me out was adding more fats into my diet vs. carbs... regular sausage vs. turkey, steaks vs. chicken... more "atkins" variety. I know Medi prefers healthy low fats, but if you need to mix it up try low carb versions... You have come so far!!
MiniMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lenorenbob
Stats: 238/182/138
WOE: Medi Clinic
Start Date: Dec 2011
I've been struggling as well. I've been going since Dec and have lost almost 60 pounds. Every time I think I might want to stop going, I realize I still have a food addiction and need help. I tried losing weight for twenty years and this is the first program that was able to stay on for more than two weeks. I am on vacation so not going to clinic for two weeks and I've gained 3 pounds in 8 days. Thats proof that I'm not ready to stop. I'm making a deal with myself. If I can be under 180 by Friday I get to buy something I really want. Let me know how its going. Maybe we can encourage each other. As to the money, the way I look at it is #1 my health is priceless, #2 i'm spending a lot less on food by packing my lunch, protein shake for breakfast and almost no eating out or fast food.
lenorenbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: losing in Ftm
Stats: restart Apr 2012
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 5/5/10
I reached goal but really struggled with the maint. I decided to join WW to try to lose the 10 lbs I regained and have a successful Maint. I ended up gaining another 20 lbs. I never came close to exceeding my points and you will find that the amount of food you can eat on WW is so much more than Medi it is very easy gain. I tried to keep it low carb, and was succcesful in the beginning., But over a few months I found my self cooking more and more food that wasn't low carb, just low on points.
My recommendation is be honest with yourself regarding your strengths and weaknesses. Can it be done? Yes I have a friend who did this with success. Can I do it? No way! You will have to answer for yourself. Good luck!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dinp120
Stats: 5'10" 199/157/140
WOE: Medi weightloss
Start Date: 5/18/2012
I completely understand where you are coming from! I can't say that I've lost all motivation but I've definitely have allowed myself to slip up a lot more frequently. I am happy with how I look now, even though I'd still like to lose another 20lbs, and I think the fact that I can fit into new (much smaller) clothes has kind of been a catch 22. Because of my frequent slip ups (drinking on the weekends watching football or allowin myself to have a couple bites of things I know I shouldn't be eating) has really slowed my weightloss. But, this weekend I decided to recommit to the process and focus even more to get down to the number I want to see in the scale. Hopefully we can both keep our journeys on track! Good luck
Dinp120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LTinNC
Stats: 206/175.2/159
Start Date: 3/30/12
its good to hear that other consider quitting/changing.....i am at the same point. i have lost 28 lbs. my clothes fit and i am happy...and i keep slipping up. and slipping up. i still need to lose 20lbs....as tempted as i am to change to ww, i know better. it doesnt work for me anymore. i too have recommitted TODAY. i didnt even lick the spoon when i made the kids pumpkin muffins.....stay strong!
LTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caterpillarinn
Stats: 178/144/140
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: July 2012
You have done incredibly so far! I feel like such a slacker in comparison.

I have heard people doing things like setting small goals. If I lose 5 lbs, I'll treat myself to a Mani/Pedi. If I lose 10, a new haircut. Maybe try "investing" the weekly fees into rewards for yourself might help keep you motivated. I bought a dress at Goodwill ($5) from J.Crew. I told myself that I won't quit until that dress fits, regardless of how much(or little) I paid for it.

I also find I am more motivated when I can get in a good workout, which has been tough the past few weeks. That compounded with cruddy weather leaves me hunting down the Halloween candy. I need endorphin candy-do they make that?

I know you mentioned you were bored with the food. We've been trying new options by visiting Whole Foods more often, (almond milk cheese is awesome!). For my sweet tooth, I tried the wedding cake shake-I added silken tofu to thicken it & add protein (while my family ate ice cream). I keep two shake mixes, one low cal & one high protein. That way, I use one for snacks and one for meals.

If there's something you are craving. Take the recipe and see how you can make it fit the program. I've been using almond meal instead of bread crumbs. Coconut oil instead of butter. (there is actually butter made from coconut oil in the refrigerated section of Whole Foods)

I wish you the best. Keep your spirits up. If you feel great now, imagine what you'd feel like closer to your goal weight. It's definitely a learning process so don't give up on yourself just yet. Maybe take a short break and maintain with the calories for your weight-there are a few sites that will give you an estimated # but then get back on program, ready to lose, after a set time.

I apologize for the novel. We all need motivation from time to time. It's not easy. Be proud of how far you have come, but don't lose sight of the end.
Caterpillarinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amy1915
Stats: 230/230/130
Start Date: Started Over 9/2012 after 76lb loss in 2010.
Hey everyone - I can totally relate to this topic. In 2010 I lost 76lbs on Medi. Two years later I am right back where I started and believe me it is no fun. I think for me the weight came off so fast and so effortlessly that it gave me a false sense of security. I thought I was done with the overweight lifestyle but I know now that my issues aren't about food...its something deeper and this time around I am going to be exploring and uncovering that in hopes that I can figure out what it is about myself that causes me not to stop even when I know I should. I'm excited though to get back to feeling and looking better and I know this plan works if you work it. I'll definitely be more conscious this time around.
All of your posts are very encouraging!
Thanks
amy1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bahet
Stats: 280/208/149
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 05/03/12
MathSci - we go to the same clinic. Apparently you can't PM someone here. Email me at bahet1@homail.com

I know exactly how you feel. I specifically request to see only 2 people at the clinic now. I dang near quit a few weeks ago because I didn't get a good feeling from some of the new ones. I've lost just over 60 lbs and am also frustrated. I still have a lot to lose as well. I don't mind the lack of variety as I try to focus on what I can eat and making new things but sometimes not being able to eat something or feeling really guilty when I do creates a downward spiral that only makes it worse.
Bahet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MathSci
Stats: 303.5/253.0/200
Start Date: November 26, 2013
Bahet, I'll email you as soon as I get off of here. I did go back to the clinic on Friday morning and I made my next appointment in a week and a half. Trying to stretch out the time between appointments as much as I can!
MathSci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
You should definitely hang in there! You have come SO far!!! How many times have you lost and gained the weight back? Do you really want to undo all of that effort again this time? Stretch the appointments if you need to but do.not.give.up. That goes for the rest of you too!!!

When you reach maintenance, the slow transition into eating carbs is very very important or you will gain all of it back at once. My "dream" goal was 125 but at 132, I was DONE with the 500 cal/day so I went into Maintenance mode and ended up losing another 7 pounds effortlessly. It was very gradual and very calculated and very scary but had I quit early and done WW (I am a Lifetime member), I would have lost all resolve and gained all of it back. There is also something about sacrificing that money every week that holds a person accountable. Paying $80/wk or whatever it is now HURTS and there was no way I was going to mess that up by cheating. Tell yourself that the only way you are going to get that extra money back in your account is to get to your goal weight.

Don't give up. Keep coming to these boards frequently. Know you are not alone. There is NO finish line when it comes to weight loss and you are no where near done and neither am I. No one here is.

In Wellness as of 6/4/2010!
eptexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
Very well said,Erin. As someone who has lost over 100 pounds and kept it off successfully for four years until I had ACL surgery at the end of last year and requisite steriod meds which resulted in a 26 pound weight gain. I went back to the clinic to restart and get back to goal, which I have done. It was harder this time, but oh so worth it. I knew somewhere around the original 50 pounds mark back in March 2009, that this is no diet, it is a lifestyle change. A really truly lifestyle change. I learned early on that there are certain foods that are triggers to bad eating habits. I avoid those. And to be honest,do not miss them. Walking in the mornings is a habit, 6miles go by in no time, and on the weekends, I walk between 10-13 miles. I had to learn a lot of new things in order for the changes to become habits.

I stay low carb because it works for me, if I want to indulge in something special, I do, but in a limited amount. I have learned that a taste or a couple of spoonfuls is enough. I bring my lunch/snacks to work. I have cut out fast food because it just is not worth it. You will see the work "learn" in my post a lot..because this is a learning process. There are loads of recipes to try in this forum and in the website as well. You really have to want to do this in order for it to work. I was able to go every two weeks during the original acute phase and that worked well for me. Perhaps your clinics will allow the same for you. As long as you are following the program and continuing to lose, no matter how slowly, you are doing what you need to do for you, for your health and for those you love and who love you.

The decision really is in your hands. This program does work and it absolutely does become a way of life. I do not feel left out, I go out with friends, I entertain at my home, enjoy potlucks at work. All of these things are possible because I have learned how to make it work. It is trial and error at times, and there will be successes and failures, but the successes will always outshine the failures, and the resultant good health you achieve is worth all the time and effort you put into making the program work for you.

You CAN do this!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chocolatefan
Stats: 202/162/160
WOE: MWL
Start Date: February 2011
What a great thread! You should be so proud of yourself and how far you've come!! I would only say not to give up. I started this plan two years ago, lost 60 or so pounds, and have gained a lot of it back--mostly because of the boredom you're talking about and just feeling like a little cookie here and there would be okay--and I actually still think that--my problem is that one cookie turned into 5! And one slice of pie became three! So, moderation is always going to be a factor, and I haven't learned that yet. I'm back starting all over and it's embarrassing and hard, but the alternative is worse. I think that you are an inspiration and that you can do it! Don't give up! This is a good plan for so many reasons.
chocolatefan is offline   Reply With Quote