Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelina
Stats: 5'0/133/104/100
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: September 2008
Weight Creeping Up -- Help!

Hi friends, After maintaining a 30+ weight loss for 3-1/2 years (since March 2009), my weight is starting to creep up, and I honestly have not changed my eating or exercise habits at all. Even though right now it's just 5 pounds, who's to say that it won't hit 10 or more before too long. I really liked the way I felt and looked since I lost this weight, and even though 5 pounds doesn't sound like a lot (and I know it isn't), it does show on a 5 foot tall, small-boned person. I've tried to go back on to the acute phase, but honestly I just can't do it without the appetite suppressants I used for the initial weight loss. I tried the Stay Slim, but it didn't help. I was tired, irritable, and hungry. So then I just cut back on all carbs except the allowed vegetables on the regular weight loss of the plan, and I didn't lose any weight at all. I went back to my Medi center, and the dietician told me I shouldn't be so hard on myself, which really wasn't what I wanted to hear. After so many years of being a happy and healthy THIN person, I want to deal with this now before it gets worse. By the way, even though this may be too much information, I'm almost 56, already had gone through menopause when I lost the initial weight, so I don't think this is a hormonal issue. Any suggestions or help you can provide would be MOST appreciated. -- Michele
Michelina is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCatLady
Stats: 5'6 229/147/145-150
Start Date: May 11, 2012
Hi! Sorry you're having trouble. I'm no expert, but maybe I can help you brainstorm what the problem is. My first question would be have you seen a doctor? It would be good to rule out any medical issues that could be causing weight gain. My second question would be how many calories are you eating a day? Are you measuring and weighing everything and keeping track? My third question would be what kind of exercise do you get?
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:34 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Hi, I had a physical exam in the spring, and all was normal. I hadn't been counting my calories because I've been following the same food plan as always, and I had never had a problem maintaining my weight loss over the past 3+ years. That's what is so puzzling. Even if there had been a special occasion occasionally, and I had indulged a little more than usual (not completely overboard, just maybe 500-800 calories), I would go right back to my regular eating habits the next day and it worked fine. Until recently. My current exercise plan (same as usual) is walking, and lifting weights twice a week.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Sorry -- forgot to mention that I have been weighing and measuring my foods since I started the plan in 2008, and continue to do so. -- Michele
Old 09-10-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tinytan
Stats: 100 4/11
WOE: mod carbs/no sugar
Start Date: August 2009
hello there.... I have just had a similar problem. I have been maintaining for years mostly eating the same foods but in November I quit smoking and since then a few pounds crept up and no mater what I did I couldnt even loose one!
I think the nicotene helped my metabolisim and I am getting older too (37).
I was also extremly happy being skinny knowing some days I could eat 85% lindt choc most days of the week.
But once this creep started I felt horrible because I kept thing what happens if it keeps going up and up. I was ok with putting on a little bit but the thought that I wont get it back of was not good.
But amazingly something has worked............
Its pretty simple as its all over this site!!!
All I did was replace my 6 egg whites for breckie I'd been having for 5 years with FAT!
Yep it works, all I've been having is 2TB of Coconut Oil & cocoa powder & stevia and in a couple of days it just fell off!!!
I had been having too much protein and not enough fats.
I happy just to have lost those couple of pounds now I feel comfortable as I'm only 4"11
So my suggestion just try eating mostly fats for a few days and I hope this works for you. GOOD LUCK
Tinytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCatLady
Stats: 5'6 229/147/145-150
Start Date: May 11, 2012
My suggestion would be to start tracking your food in a food diary. That's the only way you'll know for sure how much you're consuming. Then I would go to one of the sites that has a tool to figure out how many calories you should be consuming to maintain your current weight, and make sure you don't go over that. It may be that your calorie consumption has slowly crept up over the years. I hope this helps!

Last edited by CrazyCatLady; 09-10-2012 at 12:44 PM..
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiniMomma
Stats: 165.6/124.6/125
WOE: Medi 1-9-11
5 pounds can be gained and lost throughout the day... if they did weigh you at the clinic did the Tanita scale tell you if it was water weight or fat? Are you always weighing same time same place etc... If you have added some foods in remove them for a couple weeks and see if that is what is causing the issue.. its always process of elimination...
I just want to mention that I dont think its bad to start seeing what is going on with 5 lbs and it does creep up! Its awsome you have come so far so just stay positive and work on it.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the positive words! I have been weighing at the same time, same place for years now, and I was never fazed by the "normal" 2-pound fluctuation that would occur over the course of a week or two. But these extra 5 pounds aren't budging! I'm going to stay strictly with 800 calories of low-fat protein and low-carb veggies for a week to see if I can make some progress. I've worked too hard to start backtracking. I've thoroughly enjoyed the freedom of waking up each day knowing that my clothes will fit, that they will look good, and not thinking about my weight. That's my incentive!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WillWork4Shoes
Stats: 152.5/132.4/125
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 07/10/2012
Metabolism slowed down?

Michelina,

Unfortunately our metabolism does change...so I think that's what it is if you are eating the same way. The best way to combat that would be to exercise more and/or find ways to boost up your metabolism. Remember on the Tanita strips there was the Basal metabolic rate (BMR) number? That is the amount of energy expended daily while at rest. There is a calorie number that coincides with what your BMR is. That is what you should be able to eat during the day without gaining. To lose, just consume less than that (total, in conjunction to consumption/calorie burn). That is what it is supposed to be scientifically. In real life, I like to pretend that it works.

I know there are a number of things that people suggest to increase metabolism...sleeping enough, but not too much; getting up earlier and eating small meals throughout the day (once every few hours); exercising; increasing B vitamins and magnesium (B6, B12, folate, thiamin, niacin); etc. You can try changing up the exercise routine--I love interval training and circuit training (try Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred or something similar)...just try whatever is more challenging for you to get your heart rate up and build muscle...remember as we start working out more or doing the same workout for a long time, our body gets used to certain programs and is not as challenged as before...so we need to find ways to constantly challenge ourselves physically. Drink lots of water; dehydration can slow down the metabolism.

This is a really good article that explains how our metabolism changes as we age, and ways to combat it: How to Increase Your Metabolism and Start Losing Fat

Hope this helps a little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelina View Post
Thanks for the positive words! I have been weighing at the same time, same place for years now, and I was never fazed by the "normal" 2-pound fluctuation that would occur over the course of a week or two. But these extra 5 pounds aren't budging! I'm going to stay strictly with 800 calories of low-fat protein and low-carb veggies for a week to see if I can make some progress. I've worked too hard to start backtracking. I've thoroughly enjoyed the freedom of waking up each day knowing that my clothes will fit, that they will look good, and not thinking about my weight. That's my incentive!
WillWork4Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote