Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCatLady
Stats: 5'6 229/147/145-150
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: May 11, 2012
Lower back pain - low carb related???

I realize nobody here is a doctor, and I do plan to go to mine if this persists. But right now I'm just looking for some opinions of fellow low-carbers. Beginning yesterday, I started having lower back pain. Its not excruciating, just uncomfortable. It came and went yesterday, but today seems pretty persistent. It seems to be primarily on the right hand side. I have had some problems recently with constipation, although not to a big extent, and this is what I attributed it to yesterday. But today, after having a BM (sorry, I'm trying to be as not-gross as possible), the pain is still there. Being somewhat of an alarmist, I've been thinking the worst: kidney problems, gallbladder, even the liver. So I thought I would see what people here think. I should also note that I am not accustomed to constipation, so I may be a bit ignorant of what all it entails (to me constipation is not having a daily BM). So now that I've grossed everyone out, any opinions?
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

I should also add, my protein is 90-100 mgs a day, my carbs are 25-40, and I drink 64 oz of water a day. I also take all my supplements (Omega 3, Calcium Blend, Mult-Vitamin) like clockwork.

Last edited by CrazyCatLady; 09-07-2012 at 12:19 PM..
Old 09-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dinp120
Stats: 5'10" 199/157/140
WOE: Medi weightloss
Start Date: 5/18/2012
I'm not sure what could be causing it but I can tell you that if it's the gallbladder, you would have pain on the right side of the abdomen, just under the rib cage. So you can scratch that off your list.

I also get back pain from time to time in the same area but I've always just attributed it to turning the wrong way or a bad body position when I'm working with my patients, but now that you mention I'm curious if it is low carb related? I'm interested to see if anyone else has experienced it!
Dinp120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I read that gallbladder pain is in the abdomen rather than the back, but like I said, I tend to be an alarmist. :-) Also, my clinic stressed to me the importance of a healthy fat everyday in order to prevent gallstones, so that has stuck with me.

When I googled this, there seemed to be a lot of questions about the connection between low-carb and back pain. But it also seemed to be a lot of speculation. Maybe back pain is just common, and people associate it with anything new they are doing?
Old 09-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Well, I'm just about convinced the back pain was caused by irregularity. I took a mild laxative last night, & it seems to have taken care of it. I'm not sure if anyone really wants to know about this, but if there's someone like me out there who doesn't normally have to deal with this type of problem, maybe my post will be helpful. :-)
Old 09-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: momacat
could be kidney stones.
momacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caterpillarinn
Stats: 178/144/140
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: July 2012
I was taking the Colon Cleanse from Medi (I can't remember what they call it). Anyhow, They told me how important it was on high protein diets to take something to prevent being irregular-since I already had issues with that.

I then found a probiotic that is wonderful. It is the BJ's (club) version of Align but at less than 1/2 the price & had a better blend of the cultures they recommended.

I still get back pain now and then but I think it's also when I haven't been able to drink enough water or sweat out more than I drank.

Hope that helps. Great job on your loss so far!
Caterpillarinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Yikes, I hope not momacat! The pain has gone now and seemed to correspond to the bout of constipation, so I think I'm okay. :-)

Thanks Caterpillarinn! I don't take the colon cleanse, but I have been taking Sprouts Super Fiber Tabs and Krogers Stool Softener (docusate sodium) nightly. My doctor said the stool softener was okay to take on a daily basis, unlike laxatives. But I would much rather take something natural. I'll look into the probiotic route. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiniMomma
Stats: 165.6/124.6/125
WOE: Medi 1-9-11
I thought uti or kidney stone when there is back pain. However, gas and constipation can cause plenty of pain. I actually started to add in coconut oil with my morning coffee for some good healthy oils in there... Also if you work out you may have pulled something... even something as simple as sleeping crooked one night... glad your better!!
MiniMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! If it had continued, I would have been afraid it was something like that. So glad it wasn't!

I've heard people talking about coconut oil a lot lately, but I've never tried it. I either have 2 teaspoons olive oil, or a half of small avocado a day for my healthy fat. Is coconut oil as good for you as olive oil?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ganeshn2
Coconut oil

Coconut oil is much better than over hyped olive oil
ganeshn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: IvanCU
I know this is an older thread, but did the lower back pain go away entirely? I'm doing a slow-carb diet (4-Hour Body) and have been having a right-side back pain on and off. Very dull ache, almost like a pinched nerve, but I haven't had that before in that spot. Just curious as I found this during a web search.

Thanks!
IvanCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Yes, mine turned out to be constipation (nice, huh?), which can be pretty common with a low carb diet. If your pain persists, don't hesitate to see your doctor about it. :-)