Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCatLady
Stats: 5'6 229/147/145-150
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: May 11, 2012
Any recommendations for less expensive versions of Medi's supplements?

I've been trying to research this without much luck. I am especially hesitant to replace the Omega-3 because I've read that some brands can cause 'fish burps', and I HATE fish! I've never, ever tasted or smelled fish with these. I would literally throw up if that happened, so I'm willing to spend more for that feature. However, I'm beginning to run short on money, so I need to find a way to cut back.

Calcium 4 Blend contains:
Vitamin D 800 IU
Calcium 500 mg
Magnesium 150 mg
60 Tablets for $10

Enteric-Coated Omega 3 contains:
Fish Oil 1000 mg
300 mg (Omega-3 Acids)
EPA 180 mg (Eicosapentaenoic Acid)
DHA 120 mg (Docosahexaenoic Acid)
90 Softgels for $15

Fat Burner contains:
Chromium 201mcg
Thermogenic Blend 629 mg
Decaf Green Tea Extract
Ginger
Gymnerma Sylvestre Extract
Capsimax Capsicom Extract
Carnitine
Bioperine (Black Pepper Extract)
60 Tablets for $25

I know I've read here that some people use Green Tea extract to substitute for the Fat Burner, and I'm wondering how that works for them, and if they have to buy Chromium separate. I'm not very knowledgeable about these supplements, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: veggies4health
For the omega 3s, you can try flaxseed oil capsules. I am vegetarian and refused to take the fish oil when I was on a similar program, so my clinic had me take those instead.
veggies4health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lala
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
I've been trying to research this without much luck. I am especially hesitant to replace the Omega-3 because I've read that some brands can cause 'fish burps', and I HATE fish! I've never, ever tasted or smelled fish with these. I would literally throw up if that happened, so I'm willing to spend more for that feature.
Freeze your Omega3 supplements and that will take care of repeating problems that can sometimes happen
lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Great suggestions, thanks yall!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: joselinda
Stats: 4'11" 140/120/110
WOE: Medi weightloss
Start Date: 07/04/2012
Krill oil is better than fish oil

If you research krill oil, I think you'll find it a better source of omega 3. It's more easily absorbed, is 48x more potent as an antioxidant than fish oil, you don't have to worry about the fish burps and you don't have to worry about the pollutants.
joselinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I read something about krill oil being better, but isn't krill a type of fish too? If so, what is the reason for the lack of fish taste? I'm just curious. :-)
Old 09-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caterpillarinn
Stats: 178/144/140
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: July 2012
I haven't worked it out entirely yet but I think I have replaced all their supplements but the AS. But, I only take the AS in the morning, I think the supplements are taking over in the afternoon & evening. I also might have way too much but I make sure I drink enough water to flush the excess.

I am taking OneADay Weight Loss Vitamins (I had these lying around & needed to use them up).

Mega-T Green Tea (Fat Burner) I've been using this for about 2-3 weeks and it seems to be working. I either hit a plateau or it took a week for me to notice any change.

Whole Foods B Complex

Probiotic-generic version of Align by Berkley & Jensen (Inner Balance)

I am adding a Chromium supplement that I just ordered from Netrition (NOW Tri-Chromium) because if I miss the Mega-T, I can't take it after 2 or I am up all night.

Nordic Omega 3-6-9. I got these before reading about the Krill Oil.

Generic Calcium Blend (also lying around & needed to use them up)

Emergen-C Electromix- I use this for my sports water. 30 pkts/8.99 at a local Coop. Has Manganese, Magnesium, Chromium & Potassium.

They told me that the B-shots, one or both, contain a mix of Chromium, Carnitine & some other vitamins so they are not just pure B vitamins.

Anyone know about L-Carnitine? I am thinking about adding this as well.
Caterpillarinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WillWork4Shoes
Stats: 152.5/132.4/125
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 07/10/2012
Calcium and Omega 3 - needed SMALLER pills!

I replaced the Calcium supplements very early on just due to the shear size of the Medi Clinic's pills! I just made sure that I was getting enough. Since Medi's Calcium 4 Blend contains 800 IU Vitamin D, 500 mg Calcium, and 150 mg Magnesium per 1 tablet serving, with a recommendation of 2-3 per day, that means we'd need a total of 1600-2400 IU Vitamin D, 500-1500 mg Calcium, and 150-450 mg of Magnesium to match what Medi's provides. I started taking Citracal Calcium Citrate + D3 Petites, due to the smaller size. That means that each serving is 2 tablets, containing 500 IU Vitamin D, 400 mg Calcium (plus 5 mg Sodium). No Magnesium. To get enough, I have to take twice as many pills, but they are definitely smaller. The Directions recommend adults to take 1-2 tablets twice daily. Anybody find any smaller/better options?

I also recently wanted to replace the Omega 3 capsules since they are ALSO pretty large, though easier to swallow than the Calcium pills! Medi's Enteric-Coated Omega 3 softgels contain 1000 mg of Fish Oil (which includes 180 mg EPA and 120 mg DHA. We are supposed to take 3 per day, which is 3000 mg Fish Oil total. I discovered Bioglan Serious Health Super Fish Oil. They claim to be "Super Small," easy to swallow, no fish burps, easy glide enteric coating. The directions suggest taking 1 per day, which contains 500 mg Concentrated Omega 3 Fish Oil, 165 mg EPA, and 110 mg DHA. The amount of Fish Oil is half that of the Medi's clinic, so you'd need to take more again. I have been only taking 3 of them though, which I am okay with since the directions suggest taking only 1 per day.

I tried to find a better vitamin (smaller, no taste) but just couldn't find one that had the same quality...and I compared a LOT! Too bad there isn't a good quality (carb-free) gummy vitamin!
WillWork4Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks you guys! I'm looking into all the things you've listed.