Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RH81
Stats: 185/167/130
WOE: low carb: medi weightloss clinic
Start Date: 7/5/12
Products

Is it o.k. to use other products like some of the Atkins bars and shakes? I'm not sure if that's a questions that's o.k. to ask at the clinic. Since they have their own products for sell. Also how many carbs are some of you all taking in?
RH81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCatLady
Stats: 5'6 229/147/145-150
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: May 11, 2012
Its okay to ask your clinic about stuff like that. Mine is good about not pushing their products. They told me right off the bat that their shakes were really good, but expensive. They also said I didn't have to buy my vitamins from them if I found the same thing somewhere cheaper.

As for the Atkins bars, I was told they are okay, but that I should eat products with 'sugar alcohols' in moderation (this comes from the artificial sweetener they use). Atkins products say on the labels that you can subtract the sugar alcohol count from your carb count (like you do with fiber), but my clinic told me I could only deduct a max of 10 mg of sugar alcohol a day, and after that I have to count it as carbs. And in my case (and I've heard others say this too) the Atkins bars made my cravings kick in. As soon as I finish one, I want another one.

But each clinic seems to be a little different, so don't be afraid to talk to them. :-)
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RH81
Stats: 185/167/130
WOE: low carb: medi weightloss clinic
Start Date: 7/5/12
Have you found cheaper pills? I will have to ask about the sugar alcohol limit.
RH81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jessica1129
Stats: 5'9 293/221.8/170
Start Date: February 1, 2012
My clinic says atkins bars and shakes are fine. They told me the same thing they have about other "meal replacement" products like the EAS shakes, only have one a day. Every clinic varies a bit in what guidelines to follow, so definitely ask yours. I was told to subtract fiber and sugar alcohols but they never put a limit on the sugar alcohols. They did warn me though, that too much sugar alcohols will stall some people and not others, but so far it hasn't in my case.
Jessica1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCatLady
Stats: 5'6 229/147/145-150
Start Date: May 11, 2012
I haven't looked into other vitamins yet, but I'm going to. I'll make a post if I find something equivalent that's cheaper.

And like Jessica said, the clinics tend to vary about certain things, but are pretty much the same overall. For instance, they didn't give her a sugar alcohol limit, but did say to limit meal replacements to one a day. I think that works out to just about the same thing. Of course, its always better to get your nutrients from natural food when you can.

Also, every person is different, so through trial and error you will find what works best for you. Some people can tolerate more carbs and keep losing, while others have to cut way back. The way the program works, you cut things out and gradually add them back in order to see what effect they have on you.

Hope this helps! :-)
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote