Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   What are your food staples? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/779942-what-your-food-staples.html)

CrazyCatLady 08-04-2012 12:19 PM

What are your food staples? Want to share favorites?

I thought it might be fun to list the foods you find work best for your diet. I'm hoping to get ideas from other people.

Here are the things I eat every week:

Dairy
Egg Beaters or the store brand equivalent
Daisy 2% Fat Cottage Cheese (lowest carb count I can find)
Kroger Carb Master Yogurt
Fage Non Fat Greek Yogurt
Laughing Cow spreadable cheese wedges (Aldi has their own brand too)
Parmesan Cheese
Various Cheese Sticks (WW Smoked Cheese is yummy)

Fruit & Vegetables
Fresh: Spinach, Red Leaf Lettuce, Romaine Lettuce, Zucchini, Red Peppers, Green Beans & Avocados
Frozen: Spinach, Broccoli, Green Beans, Cauliflower, Blueberries & Strawberries (I get frozen fruit because I only eat it 1 or 2 times a week)

Meats
Chicken Breasts
Pork Chops
Canadian Bacon (various brands)
Jenni-O Italian Turkey Sausage
Hormel Diced Ham
Johnsonville Smoked Turkey Sausage
Aldi Tuscan Garden Real Bacon Bits
Jack Link's Original Beef Steak Sticks

Other
Eas Advantedge Carb Control Shakes (I drink 2 a day)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pb2 Powdered Peanut Butter
Kroger Lite Whipped Topping or Sugar Free Cool Whip
Sugar Free Jello (both the prepared cups and the powder by itself)
Torani Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup
Mccormick Grill Mates (to season meat)
Italian or Ranch Salad dressing mixes

I hope others will share their favorites too!

suzanna1 08-04-2012 12:49 PM

I have many of the items on your list as staples as well.

My additional foods are turkey pepperoni (microwaved 1 minutes and eaten with laughing cow), Gorton's fish fillets (easy to microwave quickly and low calorie), frozen cooked shrimp, miracle noodles, and jimmy dean precooked turkey sausage patties.

CrazyCatLady 08-04-2012 01:05 PM

I've tried the microwaved turkey pepperoni as well, and its really good. It tastes like bacon to me. I can't remember why I stopped buying it - I may have just forgotten about it. :-) The Jimmy Dean precooked turkey sausage patties sound good too! I'll have to add that and the turkey pepperoni to my grocery list. I haven't tried the Miracle Noodles yet. I'm a little leery since I've heard they have a fishy smell and I have a strong dislike of any seafood.

Bahet 08-05-2012 01:47 PM

Bistro Sensations sausages are my latest and greatest find. They are about the size of a bratwurst but only 110-120 calories each. They are fully cooked chicken sausages. The only place I've been able to find them is Wal Mart by the lunchmeat. They have all sorts of flavors too.

I like whey protein shakes (low carb of course) and have one as breakfast every day. I actually mix it in with cold coffee so I get a sort of mocha. It makes me feel like I'm getting a treat.

I also have a Carb Master yogurt almost every day. When I have a salad I use those Salad Spritzer things in ranch. It's not a very strong ranch flavor though so I do put a tiny bit of real ranch dressing on it too. But that allows me to get the flavor while cutting the calories/fat/carbs in half or more.

CrazyCatLady 08-05-2012 07:53 PM

Ooh, that's some good ideas! The Johnsonville Smoked Turkey Sausage is 110 calories as well, and they're my favorite so far, but I will look for the Birstro Sensations. I try to keep the processed meat to a minimum, but they sure are convenient when you need to whip something up quick. I usually brown them in a skillet and eat them with a side of steamed broccoli and red peppers drizzled with olive oil. Its my favorite quick lunch!

rudyrooster13 08-06-2012 09:44 AM

Most of the same as on your list. Here some of my other weekly regulars:

Hard boiled eggs from Trader Joes - fewer calories and already peeled :-)

Turkey Bacon

Make ground turkey patties and eat with mustard and dill pickle slices

every Sunday I roast several pans of squash and zucchini sprayed with olive oil Pam, lite salt and basil

imitation crab legs

I make lots of different protein shake flavors using SF jello, SF pudding and those SF coffee syrups...usually my dinner after working out as I don't want to eat a big meal late at night

grilled salmon with lemon

SF coffee creamer...could not live without that

Jennifer
Down 25 pounds in seven weeks!

CrazyCatLady 08-06-2012 07:21 PM

Yum, that sounds good too! I roast zucchini with olive oil spray, parmesan, and either dry ranch or italian dressing mix. And I've been experimenting with sugar free pudding mixes, mostly with cottage cheese or greek yogurt. I usually have to thin it out with some coconut milk.

I tried the Jimmy Dean precooked turkey sausage patties tonight and they are awesome! Just might be my new favorite thing!

Tselani 08-07-2012 01:14 AM

My staples:

Designer Whey protein shakes
Walden Farms chocolate syrup
Walden Farms chipotle ranch dressing
All Whites Liquid Egg whites
Weight Watchers whipped cream cheese spread
Mrs. Dash
Butterball precooked turkey bacon
Fresh fish (not farm raised)
Carbmaster yogurt
Nescafe decaf coffee packets - to make mocha shakes in the morning
Low sodium tuna
Wellshire top round roast beef slices (not preserved, beef raised without antibiotics) - for beef rollups with either laughing cow cheese in the middle or cream cheese spread (from Whole Foods)
Miracle whip lite
Romaine hearts (comes in a bag) for salads and chicken/turkey wraps

I cook whole chickens in my crock pot so I have chicken for several days worth of meals. I cook simple veggies -- cabbage, spinch, etc. that can be cooked quickly.

CrazyCatLady 08-08-2012 08:50 PM

I've recently tried the chocolate Designer Whey protein powder, and I really like it! I mix it with either coconut or almond milk. Its really good with PB2 too.

I may have to check out the precooked turkey bacon. Every time I buy regular turkey bacon, it spoils before I can eat half of it. That's why I've been using real bacon bits. Maybe the precooked is like a turkey version of that?

That's a good idea about cooking a whole chicken in the crock pot too. I usually cook 2-3 pieces of chicken or pork chops at a time, and take one to work for lunch along with various frozen vegetables or salad.

Tonight I made my latest creation, which I really like. I bake a pork chop (I only had one left this time), then cut it up and add it to a pot on top of the stove with frozen green beans, chopped fresh red peppers and some water. I season with dried onions, spices, and sometimes a small amount of bacon bits. After simmering just until the green beans are thawed, I add a Laughing Cow spreadable cheese wedge, a little olive oil, and stir. I put it in the fridge over night and take it to work for lunch. The additional time heating it up in the microwave cooks it just enough, and I believe letting it sit over night allows all the flavors to merge without over cooking it (I don't like my vegetables mushy). Man, I wish I could eat it now!

ewallac6 08-10-2012 09:56 AM

I'm only in Week 2, so I'm still building my list and learning how creative I can be, but I made something that I thought was really good for breakfast the other day.

I use 1/3 cup of egg whites (from a carton) and pour it into a pan. Crack one regular egg in there, because I like a little yoke. Chop up a serving of deli turkey meat and spread it over the top then sprinkle on a little bit of taco seasoning.

I was worried about the seasoning, but it was so good!

CrazyCatLady 08-10-2012 11:46 AM

Yum! That does sound good!

MiniMomma 08-21-2012 05:53 PM

I have tried many of the recipes on the forum here and they rock.
I usually have a medi shake for breakfast with whatever extract flavor fits the morning mood...
Lunch combos I mix; 1/2 cup Fage 0%-w/ stevia and extract flavoring, egg salad/hard boiled/deviled eggs, quiche, ham and cheese (usually swiss) rolled, baby bell light cheese, kosher garlic pickles, turkey pepperoni.
Dinner: any form of meat with some veggies on the side, I love grilled stuff, I find low carb marinades and let meat sit for a day or two and grill... Ribs w/ pork rub ..
Snacks/sweet fix: emerald jalepeno smokehouse almonds or chocolate ones, Spicey beef jerky, SF jello, breyer's carb smart ice cream w/ diet root beer.

See some new stuff listed to try... good post :D

CrazyCatLady 08-25-2012 03:42 PM

Great list! Those almonds sound really good, but I'm afraid to get them for fear of eating too many. Same with the ice cream, I've had it in my hands at the store, but then I think, "How likely is it I'll stick with the 1/2 cup serving?" and I end up putting it back.

I have discovered a couple of new things that I love: Wholly Guacamole 100 Calorie Snack Packs (supplies your healthy fat for the day, really good in rolled up lunch meat) and Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles (perfect with egg beaters for a quick omelet).

I'm still looking for the precooked turkey bacon, but I've yet to find it.

sdp124 08-25-2012 09:19 PM

I am thinking about doing the Medi Weight Loss program and am happy to have found this forum. Just curious if the food you guys are posting is on the weight loss plan? If so, it sounds much more flexible than I originally thought.

CrazyCatLady 08-25-2012 09:42 PM

Yes, these are all foods we're eating on the plan. The first week is very restrictive - pretty much all protein, but after that you get to add things and its much better. You do have to get a bit creative because it can be quite different from the high carb diet most people are accustomed to. That's why I started a thread to share what people were eating on a day to day basis. I've found this forum to be a great place to get meal and snack ideas, and I rarely, if ever, feel 'deprived'.

sdp124 08-26-2012 08:15 AM

Wonderful, that is not nearly as bad as I thought. Thanks for responding so quickly. I am set to start a week from this Wednesday. Getting excited to start. I've had really good luck before (3 times) with Weight Watchers, but really don't want to weight 6 months to lose 20 pounds. Will be checking the forums for ideas. Thanks for starting the thread!

CrazyCatLady 08-26-2012 10:35 AM

Good luck on getting started, I think its a great program. Its really changed my outlook - I don't think I'll ever look at food the same way again! :-)

beaching 01-15-2013 04:24 AM

Bump

I thought this was a good thread to read again.

chocolatefan 01-15-2013 05:15 PM

Mixed Messages from Moderators!!!

Love this thread...But I'm confused! I just got a private message from the admins because I recommended a particular tool to aid in our struggle. I was told I couldn't post the name of it and they edited my post! And yet here's an ENTIRE thread dedicated to sharing the best products we can find in this journey! I'm really irritated that my post got edited, but I thank all of you for your ideas! :mad::mad:

beaching 01-16-2013 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolatefan (Post 16198026)
Love this thread...But I'm confused! I just got a private message from the admins because I recommended a particular tool to aid in our struggle. I was told I couldn't post the name of it and they edited my post! And yet here's an ENTIRE thread dedicated to sharing the best products we can find in this journey! I'm really irritated that my post got edited, but I thank all of you for your ideas! :mad::mad:

:dunno: weird, you're right, there's talk all over these threads of lots of food products, generic drugs and tools...???

Cricketleg 01-20-2013 06:33 PM

How do you use your PB2? I just bought some but haven't really used it yet.

I tried the EAS shakes before but thought they were nasty (I'm picky :( ). The kind of protein shakes I like to make are too high in calories, I think. Here's how I **used** to make mine....maybe you can give me some ideas on how to make this legal:

EAS chocolate protein powder
1/4 c. all bran cereal
1/2 frozen banana
1 tbsp. peanut butter
milk (but I have used water before)
chia seeds

I could learn to live without the cereal, but the banana made the shake so good and sweet! I would love to find a delicious way to have these shakes again. Any suggestions?

Jessica1129 01-20-2013 07:34 PM

Maybe you could try some Krogers banana creme pie carbmaster yogurt in its place? I miss bananas so I really like it even though I usually hate yogurt. You should ask your clinic too, mine said 1/2 a banana every now and then was fine especially if it was before a workout. I love chia seeds too. I'm not sure if slivered almonds or maybe even flax meal would be an ok substitute for the cereal?

Bahet 01-20-2013 09:11 PM

Beware of imitation crab. It's stuffed full of carbs. No idea why.

I found some "peanut spread" by Walden Farms at Walmart. It's different but decent. It's a total freebie - no fat, no carbs, no calories even! They also have a ranch dressing. I like to use the peanut spread to make a "crepe". I have a cast iron skillet and put 1/2 c liquid egg white on it then when it's about set I add some of the peanut spread an fold it over like a crepe. The whole thing is about 70 calories so it's barely even snack level but it's quite filling. Great for those hungry days.

Dinp120 01-21-2013 03:42 AM

I use the chocolate PB2 in plain, nonfat Greek yogurt with 1 packet of truvia. I think it's pretty tasty but my fiancÚ thinks it is disgusting. I was never a sweets eater, so it is perfect for me.

You can also add it to shakes.

If you add water to the PB2 you can turn it into a peanut butter spread. It's really good and a lot better for you than regular peanut butter. Just play around with it...you'd be surprised with the different recipes you will think to try it in.

CurvyGirl 01-21-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bahet (Post 16209040)

I found some "peanut spread" by Walden Farms at Walmart. It's different but decent. It's a total freebie - no fat, no carbs, no calories even! They also have a ranch dressing. I like to use the peanut spread to make a "crepe". I have a cast iron skillet and put 1/2 c liquid egg white on it then when it's about set I add some of the peanut spread an fold it over like a crepe. The whole thing is about 70 calories so it's barely even snack level but it's quite filling. Great for those hungry days.

This crepe idea sounds great. I may have to try that tomorrow for a snack.

I use the PB2 for protein shakes and Greek yogurt. I've also put it on ice cream, but that was during my "off-plan" phase :) I also added the water to make a paste and ate it plain and with some veggies. PB2 website also has some great recipe ideas.

Cricketleg 01-21-2013 06:20 PM

Hey thanks for the tips on PB2. Is the website Bell Plantation? Looks to me like it's the right one, but just wanted to make sure.

CurvyGirl 01-22-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cricketleg (Post 16211060)
Hey thanks for the tips on PB2. Is the website Bell Plantation? Looks to me like it's the right one, but just wanted to make sure.

Yes, the Bell Plantation website is the one I was looking at. Let us know what you try. I'm curious to hear about some of the recipes.

CurvyGirl 01-22-2013 07:58 AM

So I'm a vegetarian so I have a few staples that others haven't mentioned:

Meat-substitutes:
--Yves soy hotdogs. :heart: I used to eat a different brand, but these are even better.
--Soy jerky. It can be a little high in carbs, so I don't eat it all the time. Just a stick a couple times a week.
--Chix Patties
--Gardein chicken strips
--extra-firm tofu. I'm still not great at making tofu, but I keep trying!
--veggie pepperoni
--seitan crumbles. I buy these for dishes that call for ground meat. I'm not a huge fan of them, but they are a good protein source.
--veggie bacon
--veggie sausage
--lentils. Put these in a spinach salad with feta, red onion, and a little poppy seed dressing. OMG GOOD! Careful with lentils, though. They are a little high in carbs, so I have to be really careful on the days I eat them.

NCBookworm 01-22-2013 12:26 PM

I love TJ's peanut flour instead of PB2. It's a fraction of the cost, and I prefer the flavor! There are a few blogs that do a taste comparison between the two, if you do some Googling.