Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Need ideas - brown bag lunches/low sodium (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/779905-need-ideas-brown-bag-lunches-low-sodium.html)

Tselani 08-04-2012 03:13 AM

Need ideas - brown bag lunches/low sodium

I was very discouraged after my week 3 weigh in, losing only 1 lb. And after week 3, I've only lost a total of 6.9 lbs. The nutritionist told me that this week I retained 2 lbs. of water, and to cut out foods with lots of sodium.

I am brown bagging my lunches at work rather than eating in our cafeteria (which has incredible food stations). I'm having a difficult time figuring out what to take to work that isn't a lunch meat, doesn't have to be cooked, etc., and is low in sodium.

I usually eat fresh fish every night for supper; on Sundays I roast a chicken and use that for salads and such all week -- when I haven't had a fruit serving in the mornings before I go to the gym (I work out one hour a day, 6 days a week at the gym.)

And on that note, if you work out in the mornings, what do you eat before you go? I've been eating a mini-box of raisins and almonds, as instructed by my clinic, but I HATE giving up all those carbs before my day gets started...

I have egg whites every day for breakfast, I eat Carbmaster yogurt every day, and sometimes for supper (if I need more calories) I drink a protein shake with almond milk.

This past week, I tried a turkey lettuce wrap one day, tuna salad one day, cottage cheese one day, and salads with roasted chicken the other 2 days.

I'm giving up the pork rinds, cheese sticks, pickles, etc. as a snack. If I'm hungry at night, I eat a sugar-free jello tub.

What else can I do to cut back on sodium without giving up just about every protein food source I like??

If I eat the same thing day in and day out I will quickly get bored with this eating plan...though I like this one better than any other I've tried. :dunno:

Help!

suzanna1 08-04-2012 08:01 AM

Cottage cheese and tuna have a lot of sodium as well (at least the ones I have). You can buy canned tuna with no added sodium. I make egg muffins with frozen veggies and egg beaters that I typically eat cold at work. I don't add salt, so these are low in sodium. Any fresh meat or vegetable is going to be low salt if you don't add it. I like to boil a few chicken breasts and shred them. I add the meat to lettuce leaves and eat like tacos. You could add a little garlic, cumin, and chili powder and skip the salt.

CrazyCatLady 08-04-2012 12:45 PM

Also, if you're retaining water, you should increase your water intake. That may sound counter productive, but it really works. Apparently your body holds on to water if you don't get enough, while it releases it when you are drinking an adequate amount. This made a BIG difference for me. I give myself time limits to drink a certain amount, such as; finish my 1st bottle before lunch, 2nd before the end of the work day, etc.