Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Do you tell people you're on appetite suppressants? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/777549-do-you-tell-people-youre-appetite-suppressants.html)

CrazyCatLady 07-08-2012 07:26 PM

Do you tell people you're on appetite suppressants?

Hi all!

I've been going to Medi Weight Loss for 2 months and I've lost 30lbs so far (yay!). I'm very happy with the results, but I find myself not wanting to share that I'm on appetite suppressants and a low calorie diet with just everyone. I think its a personal decision between me and my doctor, and I don't want to hear all the negativity people have to say about it, such as: that can't be healthy, you'll just gain it all back once you stop the diet, I knew a person who did that and all these horrible things happened, etc. (I see this on forums A LOT!)

But at the same time, when people compliment me on my weight loss, I feel like I'm hiding something by not letting them know I'm doing this with the help of a.s., rather than that I have this miraculous will power or something. I will tell people I'm doing a low carb diet program, and if they ask, I'll tell them I'm going to Medi Weight Loss clinic. I just leave it at that, and so far no one has asked for further details. But as I continue to lose, I think there will be more questions, especially since its happening relatively quickly.

So, I was curious how other people feel about this. Do you share the details of your diet, and if so, have you had any negative reactions? How do you handle the questions tactfully?

Thanks!

Desert-Rose7 07-08-2012 07:50 PM

I told people, IF they asked, that I was on a medically supervised program.
IF they asked where, I told them MWL. And I referred them to the website.Those who were most critical were severely overweight themselves...so it was a case of meanness..and perhaps a little jealousy..not sure even to this day what their reasoning was...BUT this I DO know. I have kept the weight off for 4 years now....and they are STILL overweight. So slow and steady wins the race.....hang in there...you CAN do this. You are not required to explain your decision to better your health to people. You are doing it for you, and that is the person that matters most.:heart:

Jo

Gulaab 07-08-2012 09:09 PM

Feel the same...

Hey there!

I feel the same. Since I started the diet and began losing weight, people started making comments at work that I was starving myself, my dinner would be lettuce, etc. So when asked what I'm doing I just say a low calorie/low carb diet and leave it at that.

Its funny how no matter who you tell and no matter what diet you're on, people feel the need to critisize it in some way and I don't need that; this program is working for me, I'm happy, and at the lowest weight i've been since I can remember and that's all that matters.

:jumpjoy:

njb 07-08-2012 09:32 PM

i feel like I am being judged. I have only been on it a few weeks and have only lost 8 lbs so I have had people say that obviously the pills don't work. Also people are always trying to get me to eat, when before it was the opposite. People who are not ready to take control of their weight will always say something about what ever your doing. If you want them to really hate you say "I am doing nothing, the weight is just falling off for no reason":hyst:

CrazyCatLady 07-08-2012 09:35 PM

Thanks you guys! It helps to know there's people out there who understand where I'm coming from. I know this is the right path for me. I think getting this initial weight off, and quickly, has been key. If I hadn't gotten the results I did, I don't know if I could have stuck with the lifestyle change. Now its starting to feel normal, and I'm enjoying eating healthy and slowly building my strength.

CrazyCatLady 07-08-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njb (Post 15785646)
i feel like I am being judged. I have only been on it a few weeks and have only lost 8 lbs so I have had people say that obviously the pills don't work. Also people are always trying to get me to eat, when before it was the opposite. People who are not ready to take control of their weight will always say something about what ever your doing. If you want them to really hate you say "I am doing nothing, the weight is just falling off for no reason":hyst:

Yes, this sort of judgement is part of what I'm trying to avoid. But 8 lbs in a few weeks is fantastic! You're losing, so how is it not working?

And yes, I've had people trying to get me to cheat. Sooo frustrating!

As for the last part, LOL! Yeah, that would show them! :hyst:

eptexy 07-09-2012 08:01 AM

My friends and family were all very snappy and judgmental. I learned very quickly to keep my mouth shut, not talk about dieting at all, and definitely not say anything about "low carb". That seems to be a hot button for a lot of people. lol

My generic answer to the "how are you losing all this weight" question is: *I put my fork down and moved more.* People don't really care about the specifics. If someone really truly wanted to know because they needed it, I would share though. :)

On another note - what clinic in Fort Worth are you going to?

CrazyCatLady 07-09-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eptexy (Post 15786403)
My friends and family were all very snappy and judgmental. I learned very quickly to keep my mouth shut, not talk about dieting at all, and definitely not say anything about "low carb". That seems to be a hot button for a lot of people. lol

My generic answer to the "how are you losing all this weight" question is: *I put my fork down and moved more.* People don't really care about the specifics. If someone really truly wanted to know because they needed it, I would share though. :)

On another note - what clinic in Fort Worth are you going to?

I like your response. I've answered a few people with, "diet and exercise". That usually stops the questions. LOL! But like you, if I thought they truly wanted to know, I would share.

Isn't it weird how judgmental people are about dieting? Its like suddenly, everyone is an 'expert'. I understand the concern about anorexia, but there's a big difference between a carefully calculated, physician monitored, low calorie balanced diet; and starving yourself.

I go to the S. Ft Worth clinic by Hulen St. Is that the one you go to?

eptexy 07-10-2012 04:41 AM

I've come to realize that people really have no clue about nutrition. I made the mistake of telling my brother that if I didn't exercise, I would maintain on 1400 calories. He flipped out on me, told me it was too little, etc. Everyone thinks that 2000 calories is what we should be eating. I guess that's why we're all so fat!

I went to the S. Ft. Worth clinic also. Back when it wasn't so busy! lol I don't go anymore though after I reached Wellness. I liked the staff a lot! I wish I could afford to go back!

CrazyCatLady 07-10-2012 08:25 PM

There are so many different opinions and theories about weight loss these days, that I just don't see how anyone can think they alone know what's right. All I can do is try something and see if it works for me. And if it does, that doesn't necessarily mean it will work for someone else. I think the internet, with its vast wealth of information, makes people falsely believe they're an expert on any given subject.

I like the staff at my clinic too. They seem very down to earth. I am beginning to feel the effects of the price though. I had saved up enough for the first two months, and now I'm just having to wing it. I'm afraid I'll have to stop going before I reach my final goal. But if I can reach my initial goal (170-180), at least I'll be on the way to good health. I'll just have to see how it goes.

veggies4health 07-15-2012 09:05 AM

I agree, I don't go into specifics.

But, if it is a person that I think is struggling with their weight, I will share more information.

Expat93 07-16-2012 06:37 PM

I've been with Medi for six months and haven't told anyone. I did tell a neighbor all about it and he really needed it. I truly felt like I had passed on some kind of astonishing wisdom. To the rest, its always difficult to admit that you have to get medical assistance to do what comes natural for a lot of folks. Personally, its my business and the results speak for themselves.

CrazyCatLady 07-21-2012 12:48 PM

Thanks for the input yall! It makes me feel a lot better.

rhad44 07-21-2012 07:41 PM

I have a couple friends who if I tell them I am on a diet, they immediately try to get me to eat more. There is this one person in particular who drives me crazy. I HATE going to lunch or dinner with her because she literally forces me to eat more appetizers/dessert etc. She is not overweight so I am not sure why she does this!
I have not told her I am on the Medi weight loss diet because I worry she will try extra hard to sabotage me. Grrrr...

CrazyCatLady 07-22-2012 08:07 PM

Yeah, I don't understand that either, but I've heard of it happening to a few people. Either she is actually trying to sabotage you for some weird reason (jealousy?), or she believes you aren't eating enough and is trying to 'help'. Either way, ugh! I would seriously consider sitting her down and having a talk about it. If she refuses to stop, you may have tell her you can no longer go out to eat with her. This is your health, only you get to make those decisions!

Twisted Suze 07-26-2012 09:56 PM

The bottom line is that it isn't anybody else's business what the particulars are. Never feel like it's bad or in any way negative to Not tell people you're taking an appetite suppressant.

When people asked me (before I stalled and was away from here for quite awhile) what I was doing to lose weight, I just said it was a low carb diet but not so low that I felt bad or had no energy.
Most people are familiar with higher protein and low carb diets and they leave it at that.

I think maybe another angle to consider when you have a friend who isn't overweight but they try to sabotage you every chance they get is an issue in their own life....if they feel they do not have control of an area they are struggling with (can be Anything - not just food)....then it is irksome for them to see you being so successful at something.
Since yours is in the area of food, it is easier for them to try interfering with your progress so they can feel better about themselves.
Sounds awful, but that may be what's going on.
Personally, I wouldn't try to get them to talk about anything that was bothering them.....just consider that's a possibility and keep control as best you can.

I guess I mean it's a success / failure thing......your success that just happens to be losing weight makes their failure (at whatever that is) even more bitter.
Jealousy...yes.

I hope that made some kind of sense !

I wanted to add something I heard at WW Way back in the 70's.
No matter where you are, if someone offers you extra anything or asks if you'd like dessert, answer politely but Firmly "No, Thank You".
If they ask again, politely but firmly repeat yourself.
Don't say Well, I better not.,.....or...I really shouldn't.
That leaves you wide open for persuasion.
If they put the food in front of you Anyway, after you have clearly said No, Thank You.....You are Not obligated in any way to eat it !
Leave the food there.
Do Not eat it and Never feel guilty that you wasted food.
THEY are the ones who wasted it because they refused to accept your answer.

This may happen several times before they realize you're serious.
Or if they're a real PILL about it....just keep refusing to eat it..always.
Ignore it.
You are not at fault.

I know, easier said than done.....but try it.
It'll work with at least Some people.

I hope some of this was helpful !

CrazyCatLady 07-27-2012 10:47 AM

Great advice! Its funny how we are so conditioned to be polite, even if the person isn't being polite to us! I'm so bad about that – I was raised to be meek and mild. :-) But as I've gotten older, I've gotten better at recognizing this sort of subtle bullying/manipulating, where someone makes you appear to be the rude one for not doing what they want you to. I've finally accepted that its okay with being rude in this instance (although my initial reaction is still to be polite!).

Jessica1129 07-27-2012 05:57 PM

I don't take the appetite suppressants, but if people ask I generally just say I'm doing low carb. Some family members know the specifics, and my best friend, but that's about it. I do tell people its physician supervised and that its called Medi, in case they want to check it out for themselves.