Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Exercise and replacing calories (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/776281-exercise-replacing-calories.html)

bogdany22 06-26-2012 03:27 AM

Exercise and replacing calories

How do you calculate it when you exercise to be able to replace the calories. I have gotten a couple different answers and none of them have been clear. I am on week 3 now and I work out 90 minutes in the pool three times a week. I am a breast cancer survivor and my therapist has me on a program which is pretty intense. How do you replace the calories? Thanks!!

rudyrooster13 06-26-2012 06:48 AM

Hi there

I just got back from my 2nd weigh in (down 12 pounds in 2 weeks) and she said I could now have between 500-700 calories of protein a day (was 500-650) since I exercise for an hour 5-6 times a week. So I guess I got a 50 calorie protein bump but she said to only increase on exercise days and that I should be on the higher end of the calories on exercise days. Not sure if this helps.
Jennifer

bogdany22 06-27-2012 01:47 AM

Thank you, Jennifer! Congratulations on your 12 lb loss!! That is awesome! I have been on a 500 calorie diet (I am on week 3 now and will go weigh in tomorrow). I have lost 7.5 lbs so far.

I called a Medi office yesterday to ask the extra calorie question and I was given an answer that didn't make sense to me... she told me to figure out how many calories I burn when I work out (got that one figured out) and then divide it by 2 and subtract it from my protein budget and then eat the rest of the calories to make it add back up to 500. My brain was swirling with this! haha

Then I called my Medi office and was told that I was supposed to completely replace the calories burned during my exercise days... if I burn 600 calories then I need to eat 600 protein calories.

Does this sound right?? I just want to be compliant!! I am also soooo hungry! I talked to them about it and they are going to add the Stay Slim for afternoons when I come for my weigh in tomorrow. I am taking an AS once a day in the morning and by evening, I am starved. Its hard to stay on track when you are so hungry. Hopefully we can get it figured out this week!

Again, congratulations on your loss!! Way to go! Tammy

LTinNC 06-27-2012 05:08 AM

i know medi offices can vary, but this is what mine told me.

eat the 500ish calories every day. if i exercise hard (like spin or running) eat an additional 125 cal snack before i exercise and then ADD half the amount of calories burned
back into my base of 500 cals.

for example...spin class burns around 400 cals. so on a spin day, i eat 500 base calories, 125 calorie snack, plus 200 more cals (half of spin calories). so on spin days, i eat 825 calories. approx.

on days i walk 3 miles or do hot yoga, both which burn about 250 cals, i only EITHER have the exercise snack OR replace the protein cals.

honestly though, i go on how i feel....if i am having hunger thru the AS on a spin day, i eat.

MiniMomma 06-27-2012 06:16 PM

:hiya:On the nights I go to my Karate class I typically just have something extra, like a protein shake or something MWL safe to curb the hunger after. Since I am not sure how many calories I burn during my classes my clinic seems to just make sure if I have a higher calorie day that I had some kind of activity.
Good luck on your upcoming losses! :)

AnimalLover78 07-02-2012 09:18 AM

You can determine exactly how many calories you are burning from different excersies on the medi-weight loss website. The member login is at the top right corner of the homepage. Then under the fitness section, you can do a search for different excersies and it will tell you exactly how many calories you will burn in at your current weight. It is really helpful!

NJOkee Dokee 08-01-2012 08:47 AM

ok, question.....If I am looking to lose weight fast, why would I replace the calories I burned during excercise? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

suzanna1 08-01-2012 09:13 AM

I think the premise for eating a small amount of protein shortly before and/or soon after your workout is to avoid becoming catabolic and using your hard earned lean (muscle!) mass for energy. You don't want to eat so much that you completely negate the workout though. It is a tough balance.

Tselani 08-01-2012 03:54 PM

Our Medi office starts us out on 600-800 protein calories a week. On week 2, I was given a sheet that listed what foods to eat before I exercise, and each pre-workout snack consists of a fruit and protein. Because I'm lazy (and don't like fruit), I eat a mini-box of raisins and 12 almonds. This is based upon my routine of 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weight machines. I was told to eat the pre-workout snack in addition to my daily 600-800 protein calories. My goal is to eventually start running (in addition to the weight machines), and for that I would have to eat more. I also take 3 appetite suppressants a day--30 minutes before breakfast and lunch, at the last one no later than 3 pm.

I do find the B6/B12 shots beneficial -- for about 4 days -- then I'm sometimes hungrier on the days I know the Vitamin B has been utilized by my body.

I've not yet eaten 800 calories of protein in a day; I'm usually not that hungry. I generally stay between 600 - 700 protein calories a day, and 25-30 grams of carb a day. I eat fish every day for one of my meals. I've only had one real craving since I started 3 weeks ago, and that was for chocolate! So I made myself a chocolate protein shake and added some of the Walden Farms chocolate syrup to the mix, and that worked like a charm.....

CrazyCatLady 08-02-2012 09:09 PM

I'm no expert, but the way I see it, I'm already at the bare minimum for calories, so I eat back the entire amount I burn when exercising. While it may seem like defeating the purpose doing this, I really don't think that's the case. For one thing, exercising strengthens and tones your muscles, which will make you look better than if you just lost weight without exercising. But also, I really believe it increases your metabolism. Once I added exercise, I started losing a lot faster, even thought I ate back the calories!