Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bogdany22
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: June 8, 2012
My first week! I need advice please!!

Hi everyone! I am happy to have found you! I just had my first appointment with Medi on Thursday and I started on Friday. I am a breast cancer and a secondary GYN cancer survivor... 2.5 years and 1 year now. I am trying to lose to get my body into a cancer protective "zone" where my oncologist wants me to be. I have to lose somewhere from 8-10 lbs to reach this medical goal.

I work out 3 times a week for 1.5 hours in the pool (part of my cancer program) and it is a very strenuous workout. I started the acute phase on Friday and did my workout. I was very weak and light headed. I was told to eat and replace the calories that I thought I was burning in the pool workout so I ate an Atkins bar.

That started my headache which only got worse... I took Advil, later took Tylenol, later took Advil, and finally took something for a migraine. I woke up Saturday with a headache and took more Advil. I spent the day being weak, dizzy, light headed and nauseated. I am lactose intolerant so my choices of protein are very very limited. The food is much richer than I am accustomed to eating and that is contributing to my nausea I think. I was STARVING too!!

I ended up eating all kinds of stuff because I felt so miserable. I am going to start over again tomorrow.

I live about 115 miles (one way) from the clinic and I am scheduled to go back this Thursday. I need to probably get some of the protein shake powder to have some variety in being able to make a shake for my meals. Eggs, sausage, salmon, and shrimp... I am not looking forward to having to eat that for a week! haha

Is there a shake powder that I can get at the store if I can't drive all the way to the clinic? Does anyone have any suggestions for me on choices? I know that this week is going to be tough...

I am a single mom to a severely brain injured little boy, have a huge amount of yard maintenance (mowing 2.5 acres) and my therapy along with my son's appointments and needs.

I don't sleep well. On average I may sleep 4-6 hours a night so I have more "awake" hours to feel "STARVED" and fight away the urge to want to eat.

So ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much for being here and for helping! Many blessings!!
bogdany22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
For lots of tips and advice and help please come on over to the thread below. It is specifically designed for those new to the program. You will find a lot of good information there.

Welcome Newbies! Helpful info for week 1 - #2

..and welcome!

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelynn
Stats: 215/157/150
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 9/6/11
You may need to not work out until your body gets more adjusted. I think it's pretty common for the clinics to recommend not working out the first week. Did you ask your clinic or were they aware that you usually work out so much?

I don't have a specific brand to recommend for protein powder. I would recommend going to a store that has a big selection (Wal-Mart does but there are others). Read the labels for low net carbs and for the ingredients since you're lactose intolerant.

Drink LOTS of water and an electrolyte drink. Chicken broth helps too.

And check out the Newbie thread for more!
Abdomen -15.5
Hips -10
Michelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thank you! I'll check that out. I was reading there but didn't see the answers to my questions. Maybe I didn't go far enough into the pages. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelynn View Post
You may need to not work out until your body gets more adjusted. I think it's pretty common for the clinics to recommend not working out the first week. Did you ask your clinic or were they aware that you usually work out so much?

I don't have a specific brand to recommend for protein powder. I would recommend going to a store that has a big selection (Wal-Mart does but there are others). Read the labels for low net carbs and for the ingredients since you're lactose intolerant.

Drink LOTS of water and an electrolyte drink. Chicken broth helps too.

And check out the Newbie thread for more!
Thank you!! My question about the protein powder is what are the acceptable numbers? Carbs and protein? I didnt think I was allowed any carbs (only meat) my first week. But saw I could have the protein shakes from Medi (if I had just purchased it when I was there!!). I'm trying to do this and of course it's the weekend and they are closed.

I will go out and try to find some protein powder today to get me through this!! I'm starting all over again today!

Yes they knew I work out like this but said I just need to eat the calories I burn. Told me to figure out how many calories I burn and rescue those so I'm still getting my 500 calories

Thank you for helping me!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzanna1
Stats: 215/162.5/149 5'8" 38 years old
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinic
I swear by the EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control Shakes. My clinicl approved them, but you may want to call and ask your clinic.

They are premade, 110 calories each. I don't have one in front of me, but I believe the net carbohydrates is 2 or 3 per shake, depending on the flavor. I find them at Wal-mart and Target, in the pharmacy section with the protein powders. The "Rich Dark Chocolate" is my favorite. I still drink 1 for breakfast and 1 before my workout everyday.
suzanna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thank you Suzanna1!! That helps me a lot! This is going to be a tough week but if I'm properly prepared I know I can do it!! Off to Walmart I go!!
Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelynn
Stats: 215/157/150
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 9/6/11
Even eating all protein, you will probably consume some carbs. When you're reading labels you'll see that lots of the "protein" foods have carbs as well. Net carbs (total minus fiber) should be <20-25. Since you can't eat dairy, you probably won't have any problem staying under that.

There are protein powders that have 2-4 net carbs. I've never found one with 0. As to whether they are lactose-free... no idea off-hand.

My clinic has always had me on 600-800 protein calories. Don't be afraid to eat a little more if it makes you feel better! Just make good choices if you do!
Michelynn is offline   Reply With Quote