Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Gaining Weight after 3 Years -- Help! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/772704-gaining-weight-after-3-years-help.html)

Michelina 05-26-2012 02:29 PM

Gaining Weight after 3 Years -- Help!

Hi all, I was very successful in losing 33 pounds on Medi Weight Loss 3 years ago and was able to maintain my weight since that time. Whenever I over-indulged at a special occasion, etc., I was able to get right back on track the next day with no problem at all. However, over the past two months I put on 4 pounds for no apparent reason (no difference in eating habits, no cheating, etc.). I just can't get these pounds off, no matter how hard I try. I've tried to go back into the acute phase (500 calories/day) for a week, but I just can't do it (I took the medication during this phase 3 years ago). I know that 4 pounds doesn't sound like much, but we all know how easily 4 pounds can creep up to 8, 16, etc., and I just want to get these pounds off as soon as possible. I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have! Thanks.

eptexy 05-27-2012 08:07 AM

Michelina - Have you tracked everything you are putting in your mouth? Did you change or add any medication? How old are you?

I have noticed a slight change in my metabolism in the past 3 years. I can't eat quite as much as I used to. Hence me back on the program after a couple of years. Like you, I don't want things to spiral out of control. I refuse to be fat again. Not to mention that I can't afford to replace all of my clothes!

If I were you, I would try acute at 800-1000 calories instead of the 500. I went back on "acute" but there was no way I could eat 500 calories without the appetite suppressant. It's coming off slower but I'm in ketosis and it's working.

Also, be sure and drink lots of water. It could just be fluid retention! I lost 4 pounds in one day of acute from water weight.

Michelina 05-27-2012 08:49 AM

Thanks, Erin! I'm 55, so it's probably a change in my metabolism. And I agree -- I refuse to gain the weight back and can't afford to replace my clothes either! I'm going to try the 800-1000 instead of the impossible 500. I didn't realize I could get into ketosis with the higher calories. -- Michele

Desert-Rose7 05-27-2012 11:21 AM

Michelina~
Have you deleted any exercise from your daily regimen...or if exercising..changed your routine? Are you sitting more and walking less. And as Erin says, are you journaling everything that goes in your mouth? Any Starbuck's or DD? How much sodium in what you are eating? How much sugar? All of these things can cause a weight gain.

But the journaling and exercise are the two things that can help you the most. Journaling will show you exactly what you are eating/drinking. And exercise will help burn calories for you.:heart:

I had ACL surgery and had to stop my power walks for 6 months...and I put on 26 pounds just eating as I always did and journaling...but the lack of exercise was the problem. Now I am back to walking 6-8 miles a day and am down to within 8 pounds of my goal weight.

I will tell you that re-doing this was harder than the first time. But I am in it for the long haul so I am in the program 100%.

Jo

Michelina 05-27-2012 12:06 PM

Thanks, Jo. My exercise routine (walking) has been the same since the start of the program. I think I've become a bit lax in measuring my foods, and even though I haven't been eating unhealthy/high calorie foods, I may be eating a little more than when I was measuring everything. So the scale and journaling will become my best friends again. I'm also going to try the 800-1000 acute phase as Erin suggested to jump start the weight loss. I agree with you -- I'm in it for the long haul ... I never want to feel the way I did when I was overweight. -- Michele

Michelina 05-27-2012 03:20 PM

Erin/Jo -- Do either of you take any of the Medi supplements anymore? I take the vita super and calcium, but nothing else. -- Michele

eptexy 05-28-2012 05:52 AM

I have some left over Medi vita supers. I really like them - they don't make me sick! I take a generic calcium from Costco and a non-fishy Omega 3.

I'm looking at those Rasberry Ketones as a fat burner though. lol My health food store just sent me a 30% off coupon to their store today and hey... if Dr. Oz says it works. ;)

Desert-Rose7 05-28-2012 07:11 AM

Yep, I am looking into those as well, Erin. I still get the fat burner for now, and the stay slim. I buy a calcium citrate from sams, and the omegas are the kids version chewable and no aftertaste. I use different vitamins..all without iron because iron makes me sick to my stomach...not good. And a bunch of different kinds of supplements..all from walgreens or the health food store.

Jo