Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BullsMadness
Stats: 245/236/170
WOE: LOW CARBS
Start Date: August 2014
My Story! - (INDULGING!? Help!?)

Hey Guys,

So I'm new to the forum, and I joined because I've been reading some of your stories and I wanted to share mine and ask some questions that some experienced dieters might know the answer to.

First off, I'm a 21yo, 5'10, male, white, college student. (USF, Go Bulls!) I started the program about 7 weeks ago, and I was weighting 260 pounds. Today, I'm standing at 230, and very motivated to keep going.

The problem is, that I don't really know how to cook, and I've been getting bored of eating the same things over, and over and over. (Grilled chicken, fish, steak, turkey etc.) I was wondering if you guys had any advice that could help me integrate some more variety into my diet.

Also, I haven't indulged so far. Ever since I learned how to read labels, I went to the super market and got some snacks that I'd let myself eat every now and then. EX. Light Pringles have 70 calories for a serving of 15 chips. They have no fat whatsoever, 2g of fiber, 13g of carbs, and little sodium. On days when I'm craving some junk food I'll let myself eat a serving size of these, and watch my carbs for the rest of the day. However, summer semester just started, and things are getting somewhat complicated. I have an exam tomorrow, and as I type this I'm drinking a can of sugarfree redbull (10 calories, no fat, no carbs) and eating a little pouch of cheetos 100 calories. (8 carbs) I already had consumed my 25g of calories for the day however I need to keep studying and I told myself it's okay to let go once when needed. How do you guys deal with situations like this, and when is it okay to indulge!?

Thanks!
BullsMadness is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
Hey there! Good for you for taking responsibility for your health at such a young age! You have made so much excellent progress so far!

The indulging is a slippery slope. I have been doing Medi for 2 years and when I am actively losing weight, I don't indulge at all. Do the Pringles kick you out of ketosis? Even if they don't, what keeps me from eating that stuff is I KNOW that they will send my hunger out of control and it's downhill from there. Carbs make me hungry and I just don't want to torture myself like that. I would not be able to stop at 1 serving size. No way.

Have you looked through the recipes here? They are all very simple actually. Make it a goal to really try one a week. Come on... anyone can cook! Just follow the directions exactly. Get some help from a friend that knows how to cook. Buy some seasonings and experiment with those. The Weber Grill seasonings are cheap and coarse ground so they provide a bit of crunch. So good. Look through the Energy In/ Energy Out thread and look through all of the food journals people have posted.

Energy In (Food) and Energy Out (Exercise)

Most of all, hang in there. It takes awhile for the mind to catch up with the body. I felt so sad giving up my "treats". Still do. But feeling good about myself is so much worth it. And if I can keep myself from being hungry by limiting carbs, it is so worth it to me. Because believe you me, I get HUNGRY! lol

In Wellness as of 6/4/2010!
eptexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kknowles80
Stats: 277.5/263/180
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: April 2012
Look for nutrients!

I love my snacks, too, and I've determined that if the snack has no nutritional value - I won't have more than 20 calories of it. That allows me sugar free jello and a few tablespoons of Cool Whip. Otherwise, I stick to snacks that have some protein or vitamins. My appetite is set off by carbs, and I have to be very cautious.

Good for you to be working on it while you are young and can make significant changes in your habits and health. Keep up the good work!
kknowles80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bahet
Stats: 280/208/149
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 05/03/12
When you are eating chips and Cheetos is it because you want something crunchy? If so try carrots or celery or bell peppers or almonds. If you just want to feel like you are eating something you shouldn't try sugar-free Jello.

There are all sorts of great foods out there. You can look at it as "I only get fish, chicken, pork, beef, turkey, and eggs" which will make you want more variety or you can look at all the ways you can cook those things. The other day I made jagerschnitzel. Thinly sliced pork loin cooked on a cast iron (nonstick would work too - just something where you don't need to fry it) then top with sauteed mushrooms and a gravy I made with Bisto (it's an English gravy granules product but only has 4 carbs in 1/4 cup of gravy and you can thin it out so you can get more if you want). I made chicken parmesan with homemade marinara (no added sugar), boneless/skinless chicken breasts, and grated up a low fat cheese stick over mine and hubby's (he's doing this with me). For lunch I'm going to make a mock crepe. 1/2 c liquid egg whites on a 10" round cast iron skillet. When it's set add 1 - 1/2 tsp sugar free preserves (I use Walmart brand Strawberry), fold it over and enjoy. It tastes remarkably similar to a real crepe even without the flour, sugar, butter, etc.

You sound a bit like a compulsive eater when you say you are eating because you are studying. That's not an excuse. If you stop eating your brain won't immediately cease to retain information. I've found that I tend to be a compulsive eater while watching TV at night. Now instead of having a big bowl of ice cream or chips I have 15 Blue Diamond Wasabi and Soy Sauce almonds. They are spicy and full of flavor. I eat them 1 at a time, suck on them until the peel falls off, then chew. It can take an entire show to eat just those 15 almonds doing that but I get to feel like I'm munching while I'm not actually having anything bad or extra.
Bahet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BullsMadness
Stats: 245/236/170
WOE: LOW CARBS
Start Date: August 2014
Hey Guys, thank you all for your inputs! I wanted to update you some.

First I got to say yes, you're right! When I get anxious I start eating like crazy.

This saturday I had Mac And Cheese and then a big bag of baked tostitos! mg: And despite all of this, I still managed to lose 5lbs this week. Imagine if I hadn't!

I'm at 219 now. Gotta stay strong! (:

Also I've stocked my freezer with some different proteins like prosciutto, wieners, and meatballs! and so far so good!

I ditched the pringles because I found this! And I'm glad I did before it was too late!

WARNING: Pringles light!

I bought breyers carbsmart ice cream bars, which are AMAZING. I also bought sugar free popsicles. and Babybel cheeses for whenever I feel like snacking. I also have sugar free jello, but I've been eating that since I started the program. I also got sugar free red bull, and zero red bull. On top of that I got diet sunkist and crystal light. Now I have plenty of options for whenever I think/feel like I want to indulge.
BullsMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristin
Stats: 5'6.5" 142/126/125
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: May 21, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullsMadness View Post
Hey Guys, thank you all for your inputs! I wanted to update you some.

First I got to say yes, you're right! When I get anxious I start eating like crazy.

This saturday I had Mac And Cheese and then a big bag of baked tostitos! mg: And despite all of this, I still managed to lose 5lbs this week. Imagine if I hadn't!

I'm at 219 now. Gotta stay strong! (:

Also I've stocked my freezer with some different proteins like prosciutto, wieners, and meatballs! and so far so good!

I ditched the pringles because I found this! And I'm glad I did before it was too late!

WARNING: Pringles light!

I bought breyers carbsmart ice cream bars, which are AMAZING. I also bought sugar free popsicles. and Babybel cheeses for whenever I feel like snacking. I also have sugar free jello, but I've been eating that since I started the program. I also got sugar free red bull, and zero red bull. On top of that I got diet sunkist and crystal light. Now I have plenty of options for whenever I think/feel like I want to indulge.
It's good to at least replace bad habits with better ones. My favorite snack to have so far is half an apple and dip it in Dulce de Leche (caramel) Sugar Free Pudding Snack. I don't eat the whole thing since it has 13g carbs, but it's been a good munchies fix. It's Medi-compliant enough, I believe, just gotta watch the carbs..

I'm also in college and don't really know how to cook too much. I'm home for the summer, though, so my parents cook for me. Great job on your progress. I can relate to eating when stressed. I just tend to not buy enough food that I can snack. Instead, I buy what I need for meals and tough luck otherwise.
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote