Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mare :)
Stats: 186/148/140
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Center
Start Date: January 1 2012
Thinking of transitioning into weight watchers....

Good morning friends. So I'm mere pounds away from goal. I feel amazing. Look pretty great to if I do say so my self. ( actually participating in a Medi weight loss before and after photo shoot today!!!!)

But honestly, the weekly money is killing me. Every week the same weight. No real advice from clinic other then to cut down on my cardio. I'm soooooooo tired of my diet. Like soooooo tired of it!!!! I would like to transition into a better more livable more VERSITILE diet and way of eating for the rest of my life. The world is so weight watchers friendly too. And maybe a month or two of meetings on line and I'll be on my own. Still weighing my food and being accountable.

So here is my question and it's fuled by fear honestly .....

How would I transition ? Just set a day and start eating by points? I would be given 26 points. Which translates into 1300 cal. I eat 500 now but work odd 300-500 cal a day at the gym which I then have to replace.

Idk guys. I need some honest advice from you all. Medi is an amazing program. I have lost crazy weight in record time .... But now what? I just can't afford the clinc anymore .

All your advice I thank you for in advance!!!

Have a great day everyone!!!!!
Mare :) is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LTinNC
Stats: 206/175.2/159
Start Date: 3/30/12
hi mare,

i hear you on the lack of suggestions from medi. i am only in week 4 and my wt loss has tapered off to .9 per week. (totaly only 8.5 at 3 weeks) at that rate, i will not continue doing medi. i made 3 changes this week to see if more wt would come off....and one of those things was walking 3 miles 4 days this week and spin class 3 days. so 7 days of 1 hour cardio....but i may have just done the wrong thing huh? i just have a stubborn body.

have you done ww before or recently? i actually gained weight on it (and then they accused me of lying on my journal) but the points on the new system dont totally correspond to the calorie count. ie fruits are now zero points...but obviously have calories. i would try to calculate the points of what you eat now and see what you come up with. from there i would add back in carbs slowly and still try to eat on the higher protein side of a normal diet. i can help you with points if you need, i still have all the stuff to calculate. you can email me at lisadst@aol.com if you want me to calculate your foods.

hopefully someone has done this before and will have better suggestions for you!

lisa
LTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: losing in Ftm
Stats: restart Apr 2012
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 5/5/10
I lost my weight but was struggling with maintaining. So I joined WW thinking I would use it as a guide for maintainence. I know it has been successful for others but not for me. At first I tried a mix of medi friendly food and WW but the truth is you get ALOT more carbs and calories on WW then medi. Once I started to add them in it was a very slippery slope. Worked for about a month and then my mind sort of started to think points instead of carbs and calories and I started to gain. Now I am starting all over with medi (no clinic) am not sure what I'm going to do with maintainence.
Guess I'm saying it can work if you stay strong but it is very easy to lose control again. Good luck!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
I've considered WW as well. I need something that will help me maintain. They used to provide something called "simply filling" where everything was low glycemic. Do they still do that? Fat free dairy, lean meat, fruits, vegetables, and a limited amount of whole grain items (2 servings/day) of like brown rice, whole wheat pasta, ww couscous, steel cut oats, etc. Not much processed foods allowed so it was very nutritious and easy.

I find it pretty disheartening that you can gained weight eating fruits and vegetables though. That in itself is depressing.
eptexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LTinNC
Stats: 206/175.2/159
Start Date: 3/30/12
good point erin! i had forgotten about the simply filling option. i was doing WW back in nov 11 and my meeting place did still offer it but no one was knowledgable about it and it seemed like it wasnt really talked about...i just went and read the list of foods allowed for it and it might be workable to stay mostly "medi"...

yes, i gained weight eating 1300 calories a day (ie 26 points) by adding the 2-3 free fruits. that was about an extra 200 cals a day and all carbs and i guess my body just is sensitive to carb? i never figured it out, obviously since i left disappointed. honestly i have not lost weight on ww since they went to points system many year ago. when they used to do the block system, back in the early 80s was when i was successful on ww.
LTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiniMomma
Stats: 165.6/124.6/125
WOE: Medi 1-9-11
WW and LC....Can they coexist?
some info to read about others here that do WW with LC
MiniMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelynn
Stats: 215/157/150
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 9/6/11
I've done WW several times and tried it again before I started Medi. I just wasn't losing -- well, 11 pounds in 8 months (so I lost a little bit).

I understand what you're saying, and in theory, you could do WW and eat low-carb (or lower carb) if that's what you need to do. I know now that is what I need, and what I want b/c I feel so much better. I know that Medi maintenance does include adding some carbs so maybe someone can give some info about that. WW could provide some structure and accountability at a lower price, and you could use your points on the foods that you know work for you.

I've started going to the clinic every 2 weeks b/c I couldn't afford every week anymore. Have you considered that?

Also, since you are only 8 pounds from your goal, have you considered transitioning to maintenance now (i.e. changing your goal)? You might discuss that with your clinic. That would give you more food options, I think.
Abdomen -15.5
Hips -10
Michelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
Mare, I got to about the point weight wise you're at (sick of the meals, low on funds) and told them I was ready for maintenance. They will give you the information and you can just take it from there. I continued to lose 5-8 additional pounds following maintenance suggestions. Then Wellness is basically FDA guidelines but keeping carbs under 100g (my clinic suggested 50g however.)
eptexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 287.0/210.6/215.3
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: February 28 2012
every time I did WW I lot weight but gained it back this is a much better program.
andyg-fit-in-2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
WW is not for me. After losing 112 pounds, I know the low carb lifestyle is what works for me...along with exercise. With recent ACL surgery/recovery/funky meds/limited exercise, I went up 26 pounds in 6 months. Did a restart with MWL and now am down 15 pounds and exercise is back up to my 6 miles a days walking. With 11 more to go to be back to goal, I would not even consider WW. I have NOT done that program, so I cannot really talk much about it with any authority at all....however, I know many friends who have done the program over and over and over again....yoyo-ing consistently...I cannot accept that this is the way to go. MWL has worked for me. The whole point of the program is to teach you a new WOE and a different attitude toward food...learning to be creative and finding new ways to prepare food.

I DO know that after my injury, I kept my calories/carbs at the same level without the exercise as I was recovering. The exercise is what keeps you in check. And I SHOULD have been smart enough to lower the calories to compensate for the fewer calories burned. The restart focused my attention on this fact and now I am back on track. Getting the residual meds out of my system, and starting up my exercise again...and woohoo....I am rocking this WOE.

I cannot say that maintaining is easy because it is not. It is being vigilant and aware of what food you purchase and put in your mouth. Being aware of what your body tells you and when it tells you.

All that being said, WW's focus is totally different than MWL....if it works for you...that is a good thing..but for me, I have found what works for me...and I am sticking with it.

Jo (desert-rose7)
Old 05-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ericak44
Stats: 189/180/ size 10
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 10/1/10- restart 5/29/12
If you are at a stuck point, I would ask medi to transition you to maintenance and learn to maintain this weight. I lost 30lbs on Medi about 1 1/2 years ago and managed to gain it back. I stopped going to Medi because I was exactly where you are, stuck at the same weight and tired of paying the $ and not getting to my goal. You body is happy there! I recently joined ww online and just couldn't deal with the slow loss. I think that if Medi is what got it off, stick it out and keep it off.

I just restarted medi 3 days ago to re-lose 29lbs. I wish I had just transitioned to maintenance and I wouldn't be doing this all over.
ericak44 is offline   Reply With Quote