Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Newbie, Week One... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/765649-newbie-week-one.html)

Hyeager 03-31-2012 06:59 AM

Newbie, Week One...

Hi guys!

I am now embarking on day three and the ketosis test strips say "trace" so I think that's good, right, especially since I work out pretty hard. I love this forum and am so thankful for everyone on here sharing their insights and info!

Last night I thought I was going to starve. My clinic said I could eat whatever I wanted if I was hungry (just get to 500 protein cals), but it didn't matter how much I ate, I just kept feeling hungry. I get 1/2 AS per day. Top it off that yesterday was Friday in Lent which meant for me nothing but fish and non-meats.

This morning I woke up starving. made a pretty big breakfast with egg whites and t-bacon but I'm still really hungry...any tips on getting that belly full feeling, or is this just a part of getting into the program. I have been drinking lots of water, going to try the broth thing other's suggested in the newbie thread...I just was wondering if you guys have any other tips.

Also, last question-- I have read on here that the fatigue kind of goes away after you get into Ketosis and eating healthy, but I have just been wiped the past 24 hours (a strange thing since I'm a go, go, go person)-- any great tips for the fatigue? I have B-100 vits I have been supplementing with (in addition to the shots I got on day one) but I would love some tips for how to get over the hump.

Thanks guys!! Have a great weekend!

MiniMomma 03-31-2012 07:22 AM

the first week is the hardest to get through... I had alot of deli meat around. My clinic allowed for some greek yogurt (plain-i flavored) and LF(2%)cottage cheese week one, which allowed for more options. There are some good choices in the recipe thread here for food options. I think no matter what you take week one you still fight the fatigue, you just have to let your body get adjusted. A trace on your strips is the same as moderate or large, some people spill more ketones than others, and sometimes it depends on your fluid intake (more diluted with more fluid). As I personally learned, you can not show any ketones and be in ketosis as your body adjusts and adapts to burning the fat as fuel, aka keto-adaption.

Hyeager 03-31-2012 05:30 PM

Thanks so much for the tips miniMomma. I'm trying to fight the hunger + fatigue today...but the deli meat is really helping and lots of great ideas in the recipe section for sure! thank you!

MathSci 04-01-2012 01:27 PM

Turkey pepperoni helps me get through the really bad hunger cravings. It's low calorie - some brands are lower than others. The brand that my local Food Lion carries (which I think is Hormel) is only 70 calories for 17 slices. That's about 4 calories per slice. I put a few slices in the microwave on a paper towel and make it a little crunchy. It just seems to help if I can put a little something solid in my stomach.

Good luck! The first week is the worst, but it gets better!

touche1 04-21-2012 04:22 PM

I am on week 1. My question is Do I just eat three times a day?

LTinNC 04-21-2012 05:19 PM

welcome newbies!

week 1 my clinic said to eat every 2-3 hours. keeps your metabolism up and doesnt let you get overly hungry.

adding some sf pudding (uncooked, just the powder) or crystal light (powder) to my greek yogurt or cottage cheese or into my medishake was a real treat first week, and even now (week 4).

good luck on your journey!