Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Starting out...Have 100+ lbs to lose... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/758553-starting-out-have-100-lbs-lose.html)

MathSci 02-19-2012 12:45 PM

Starting out...Have 100+ lbs to lose...

Hello! I started with MWC on Monday, January 23, 2012, with the initial evaluation/visit and weighed 348.8 lbs :( I could really probably lose 200 lbs to be "normal" weight, but right now I'm just taking one day at time. It just gets too depressing to think about how far I have to go. I'm just looking forward to getting my weight below 300 lbs for the first time in years! After that, I'll focus on getting to the the 100's! The clinic has me limiting my protein to 500-650 calories, 2 vegetables or 1 fruit/1 vegetable, less than 35 grams of carbs total, plus 100 grams of healthy fat. I've been getting both shots on Monday's as well as going in on Thursday for both shots.

So far I've lost 24.2 pounds!

Start - 348.8 lbs, BP 140/86
Week 1 - 335.5 lbs, BP 168/94 (under a lot of stress that day/week!)
Week 2 - 330.0 lbs, BP 140/80
Week 3 - 324.6 lbs, BP 138/78

This week was a little more challenging for me because I had to eat out for work a few times so I'm just hoping for any weight loss when I weigh in tomorrow. I ate all chicken the first 2 weeks and my nutrionist got on me to eat some more variety. I've added some hard-boiled eggs and a little red meat to my diet for variety. She wants me to eat some fish, but I hate fish! My vegetables have been either salad, green beans or broccoli. I've had some constipation so I've added some Metamucil capsules to my diet as well as focusing on eating vegetables high in fiber.

Exercise is not going so well for me. I've never been one to really exercise and never seem to have the time (I know, that is an excuse). Plus, carrying all this weight has not been great for my knees and feet. They hurt so much at times. And right now, it is snowing so I'm using that as an excuse not to go walking! :) I do need to get up and clean the house today so hopefully that will burn some calories. I did have an idea about exercising though. I think tomorrow I'm going to go buy a pedometer and keep track of my steps. If I can increase my steps each day, hopefully I can build up my strength. I want to get my knees checked out by a doctor to see if there is something they can do to make them not hurt so much, but I feel until I lose weight, all they are going to tell me to do is lose weight.

So that's my story! I'd love to hear from people that have a lot to lose like me! It seems like every time I go to my clinic, all I see are people who just need to lose 30-50 lbs. I never see people my size.

Getting there!!! 02-19-2012 03:35 PM

Just want to say hi and wish you lots of luck!! It does seem very daunting at first but there are so many peple on here who have had and are having great success. You're definitely not alone in any of your struggles. Log on here everyday and you will get lots of support, inspiration and all your questions answered. Awesome job on the pounds already lost!!

Jessica1129 02-19-2012 05:25 PM

Hi MathSci! Believe me, you're not alone. I started medi Jan 31 and need to lose 113-123lbs. It seems so out of reach now but I'll get there and I know you will too! I was a little heavier before I started medi. I was in the 300's as well and was able to lose a little on my own. I see your in va too, enjoy the snow! Congrats on your loss so far you're doing great!

jbjb93 02-20-2012 08:48 AM

Stay focused and it will go quick! I'm down 56 since September, and January was a wash with vacation and work travel. It will go in no time!

mpellerin 02-20-2012 02:48 PM

MathSci - your mileage may vary, but I found that I did better once I decided to drop the fruit because I found vegetables more satisfying and filling. I was also shocked to find out how many carbs were in one small apple.
Good luck on your journey!
mpellerin

MathSci 02-20-2012 04:54 PM

Thanks, everyone! Here are the stats from today:

Week 5 - 319.5 lbs, BP 130/86

Down 5.1 lbs! ( although about half was water weight) I couldn't believe it! I thought for sure I was not going to lose anything this week after having to go out to eat a few times. And what's weird is that my scale at home didn't really seem to budge this week. I even weighed myself right before I left for town for my appointment. They did tell me at the clinic that their scales take off 2 lbs to account for clothing, but it does that every week. This is the first time I prefer the scales at a doctor's office over my scales at home! :)

I haven't had any fruit yet on this diet. I've been sticking to the vegetables, although since I've had an issue with constipation, one nutritionist suggested maybe eating a small apple every other day. I haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping the metamucil and eating more broccoli helps it for now.

The PA suggested I start taking the appetite suppressant again. When my blood pressure was so high at the end of week 1, I couldn't get it for that week and since I was doing OK without it, I decided not to get it when my blood pressure was better the next week. But there are times when I do get hungry and she also said that it would help boost my metabolism. Next week I have to get bloodwork done since I've lost almost 30 lbs now. She said they do it for every 30 lbs lost. I'm curious to see if there is any effect on my cholesterol levels.

As for the snow, it was pretty while it lasted but now it's almost gone. And they say it will be in the 70's later in the week! I was hoping for some snow days this winter but time is running out!

MiniMomma 02-20-2012 05:15 PM

my bp wasnt high but I always find it amazing how it drops with the weight loss... congrats on your loss !:jumpjoy:

dbintn 02-21-2012 07:26 PM

I am in the same boat. Weighed in at my first appt last wednesday at 336, goal is 225. Most I have ever been. I was the same on my scale, so now my scale says 326. 10lbs in 6 days is awesome. just having a hard time with the foods and how to be creative. i am not creative in the kitchen.

MathSci 02-22-2012 09:04 AM

Hi, dibintn!! So glad to hear from someone like me! Great job with 10 lbs in 6 days! I know about the foods. I grow tired of eating the same stuff. I've been trying to add different seasonings to my food to help. I think I've bought every no-calorie/no-carb can of seasoning from my local grocery store! I just found turkey pepperoni at the grocery store the other day and thought I'd try it out. I nuke it for about 25 seconds and it is good! It's my little treat at the end of the day if I have some protein calories I need to use.

MathSci 02-25-2012 07:18 AM

Tough week.... caught a cold and have family up this weekend. I stopped taking the appetite suppressant because I was concerned about a bad reaction with the OTC cold medicine I am taking. And cooking for others when you can't eat the stuff is hard! We are grilling steaks out tonight so I'm trying to save a lot of my protein calories for dinner.

joyfuljamiea 02-25-2012 03:08 PM

Hi MathSci!!!!
My first appointment was on Thursday and I am on Day 2. I know how you feel about your size I am similar to you and it can be overwhelming to have your goal. so far away. I have 150lbs to lose and that is half of me!!! but you know what it will happen it takes hard work and staying positive:) We can do this!!!I mean you have already lost 30 lbs and that is AWESOME!!! I feel ya about the knees n feet hurting. One thing I can suggest is a rowing machine. They burn alot of calories but are easy on ur legs:)

Jamie

MathSci 02-25-2012 03:49 PM

HI, Joyfuljamiea! So good to hear from you! I'll have to try a rowing machine. I remember liking it back in my younger, skinnier days. Good luck in your first week and let me know how it goes!

MathSci 02-27-2012 04:59 PM

End of Week 5 and I lost 4.7 lbs! I actually lost more in fat but I'm retaining more water this time. So that is a grand total of 34.0 lbs! The PA is still after me about exercising. Hopefully, I can do that as the weather gets nicer and we get more daylight here.

Jessica1129 02-27-2012 06:46 PM

Wow MathSci 34lbs already, that's fantastic! :high5:

Herewego 02-28-2012 04:08 AM

Great job!! :)

andyg-fit-in-2012 02-28-2012 02:23 PM

Today is my first day on this program.
Anybody else start today and want to be a weight buddy?

1st goal = 10% of my Body Weight

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...WGK/weight.png

:welcome: to all and good luck to everyone !!!

Andy

MathSci 02-28-2012 04:21 PM

Good luck, Andy! Let us know how you are doing!

MathSci 03-02-2012 03:47 AM

UGH!!! My home scale seems to show my weight is UP! :( And my ketone test strip is barely pink this morning. They have always been consistently in the mid-range. And I'm hungry this morning! I think my fat cells are rebelling!

MiniMomma 03-03-2012 06:39 AM

Hi MathSci, I had questioned amount of ketones before and the theory is that as long as some are showing your in ketosis. The amount will vary depending on how hydrated you are. That being said, I also go days now where I have no ketones showing, my clinic & people here assure me that is just your body adjusting and not spilling ketones to show. If you know you have been faithful to your plan dont let the stix derail you!

Herewego 03-03-2012 09:22 AM

I agree I don't always show ketones either... The best thing you can do if you're following the program is to stay off that scale!!! It's self defeating if you're up a lb.. You can't tell if it's just water and I know it messes with my head. I can't get past the number issue! Weight in at your appts...stay on plan you ll be fine!! :)

MathSci 03-03-2012 04:16 PM

Thanks! I think I have adhered to the diet pretty closely, but during the week I sometimes don't do such a great job journaling. Today, since it is Saturday, I made the extra effort to track every single calorie and carb to make sure I'm not forgetting something. It's 7 PM and I just hit my 500 calories of protein and 27 grams of carbs. My clinic told me to stay within 500-650 calories of protein and 35 g of carbs. I'm not planning on eating anything else tonight unless maybe a couple slices of nuked turkey pepperoni if I get hungry before bed. I'm going to do the same tomorrow and then retest for ketones.

I know I shouldn't weigh myself during the week, but it is so hard to resist the urge! I'm not sure why I'm even bothering though because my scale never matches up with what the clinic scale reads, even if I measure myself right before I go to my appointment. But it is so encouraging when I see the scale go down during the week and gives me some motivation.

I found some light Baby Bluebell cheese today at our grocery store so thought I'd try it out since I had read some posts on here about it. It's pretty good and a nice change. I don't have much variety of food in my diet now so it's exciting when I find something new to try! I'm not much of a cook so I've been sticking to mostly grilled chicken or steak with either salad or green beans as my vegetable. I don't like fish at all but the PA keeps on me to try to eat some once a week.

Hope everyone out there is doing well!! I'm off to watch the UNC/Duke game on TV now.

MiniMomma 03-03-2012 07:35 PM

I have been trying recipes off the site here for fun. I made the Chili Relanos, Taco soup w/ ground turkey, meatloaf, spicey chicken, General Tso's chicken and a few others. Someone on the forums suggested using Evernote (free downloadable program) so I have been using that to store the new recipes I find and like. My family loves the new recipes too and they dont even realize they are eating better.

MathSci 03-05-2012 11:12 AM

SNOW DAY!!! :jumpjoy: You just have to love those unexpected days off! My usual appointment is not until after work, but since I had the day off, I went by the clinic to see if they could take me earlier.... that way I could get back to eating sooner today! :D Does anyone else limit their food intake on the day they go in to get weighed?

Good news is that I lost 3.8 lbs this week (total of 37.8 lbs in 6 weeks!) and my bloodwork results were back - total cholesterol is 176 now (215 when I started this diet). That is the lowest I can ever remember my total cholesterol being! My LDL cholesterol is 101 which is just 2 above the normal range. Now my fat lbs were up while my water lbs were down and I still don't understand how that all works. Guess I better start trying to do some exercise to make sure I'm not lossing muscle mass.

Since I did have the day off, I had some time to do some things that I normally do not have time to do. :) One of those was making an appointment for a physical with my doctor. It has been a couple years since I have had a yearly check-up because I have been so embarrassed and ashamed about how heavy I was to face my doctor. But since I'm hopefully on the way down with my weight, I called to set up an appointment for this July. I'm really hoping that I will weigh less then than my doctor has ever seen me (275 lbs). So I guess that is my short-term goal for now!

Hope everyone is having a great week! :clap:

andyg-fit-in-2012 03-06-2012 12:35 PM

Good afternoon all to all you losers out there !!!

Today I had my 1st weigh in on the program

Week 1 Start Weight 287.0
Week 2 Weight 275.8 Lost 11.2 LB Total 11.2 LBS :jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...WGK/weight.png

To first goal weight 10% of Body Weight

MathSci 03-06-2012 02:46 PM

GREAT JOB, ANDY!!! :clap: Keep up the good work!

Mommy-2-girls 03-08-2012 10:22 AM

Andy & MathSci, you CAN do this! I lost over 100 pounds in 10 months back in 2010 on Medi & it was awesome. Gained most of it back while on bedrest during pregnancy with my son, so I'm back again & going well! Just focus on 1 week at a time. Every time that number goes down it's a victory!!

MathSci 03-09-2012 04:06 PM

Thanks, Jessica! I'm trying not to think about the long term, but rather focus on short-term goals. Trying to get to the 200's in the next few weeks so I've actually started walking this week! I can't remember that last time I went for a walk!

andyg-fit-in-2012 03-09-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathSci (Post 15481561)
Thanks, Jessica! I'm trying not to think about the long term, but rather focus on short-term goals. Trying to get to the 200's in the next few weeks so I've actually started walking this week! I can't remember that last time I went for a walk!

I walked a mile yesterday !!!

MiniMomma 03-09-2012 04:52 PM

Math & Andy I may not have 100+ to lose but having lost and gained the same weight so many times I can say I feel really positive with this plan, unlike many other time. You are doing fantastic, your not alone!!

MathSci 03-09-2012 05:16 PM

Thanks, MiniMomma! I feel really good about this plan so far and would recommend it to others. After the 1st week, I haven't been that hungry and I feel so much better. And the people at my clinic are so nice and encouraging. It's expensive but I figure it's OK since I'm not eating out like I used to.

Way to go, Andy! Let's keep walking and we should see the pounds really drop!