Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Diabetic? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/757875-diabetic.html)

2Meezers 02-14-2012 06:58 AM

Diabetic?

Hi, when I joined medi I was told to add one fruit per day to my foods on week one because I am diabetic. They told me to split the fruit in half and eat as a snack in between meals. They would not give me the appetite suppressant because I am on a lot of meds. I switched centers last week and they told me to start week one over and do not add any fruit.
Is there anyone else that is diabetic that can share if their diet was modified and how?

Michelynn 02-14-2012 01:05 PM

I'm not diabetic, but I did have gestational diabetes and my dad was an endocrinologist. When I had gestational diabetes, I controlled my blood sugar with diet at first but eventually had to use insulin to control my after-breakfast numbers.

It seems counter-intuitive to me that adding a fruit per day to week 1 would be beneficial to you. Why would making you eat fructose be a good thing? Do you use an oral medication or insulin? If so, maybe they were afraid your blood sugar would drop too low if you didn't have the fruit.

I don't remember seeing anyone specifically mention being diabetic, but I'm curious to see what other response you get!

2Meezers 02-14-2012 10:19 PM

Thanks Michelynn! I am on oral medication and they were afraid my blood sugar would drop. I'm starting to get discouraged because it is almost impossible for me to get and stay in ketosis. I'm also getting very hungry and wish I had the appetite suppressant.

Michelynn 02-15-2012 05:57 AM

Go over the Main Lobby if you don't get any other responses here. I know there are diabetics doing low-carb and posting over there regularly. Of course, Medi is MUCH lower calorie than the plans most are doing. But they are getting and staying in ketosis so may have advice. Good luck! :)

ravenrose 02-15-2012 10:40 AM

I know nothing about medi, but it's totally counterintuitive to give MORE fruit carbs to diabetics. they didn't understand the whole diabetes thing.

2Meezers 02-22-2012 08:08 PM

Was sick last week with a virus and had to go off of my diet. I went to my appointment today, got weighed in and had two shots. I'm back on week one! I am so happy to be back on medi, I felt so much better when I was on it before I got sick.
I asked about the AS at the new office today, they are faxing a request to my PCP to get the okay to give me the AS. I have my fingers crossed that I get the okay!
I am happy with the new office so far. They have me on 500 cal instead of 800, and told me to only have 1/2 a fruit IF my blood sugar drops.

Gemini6860 03-04-2012 01:11 PM

2Meezers, I'm a Type II diabetic. I joined Medi Weight Loss last Friday. They gave me the appetite suppressants without a problem, and told me to follow the week #1 program, but to eat 750 cal instead of 500.

Today is Day #1 for me. I'll end the day at 635. I'm sooooooo happy to have made it through today without much of an issue. I'm determined to stay on track.

All the best to you!!! :-)