Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Does anyone else.... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/757072-does-anyone-else.html)

MiniMomma 02-09-2012 05:51 PM

Does anyone else....

Ever listen to when non LC'ers talk about their diets and just want to cringe at the things they believe to be healthy?

Sandinga80 02-09-2012 08:14 PM

I knew a girl once who was trying to lose weight for her wedding and was eating Whoppers from BK because "since they are broiled, they are healthy"...salads are another one...people think they are dieting by having salads, but not realizing that they should have just had a cheeseburger with all the fat and calories they have added with all that cheese, bacon, croutons and creamy dressings (cringe)...

MaraMom 02-10-2012 06:37 AM

I truly only try to share a bit about low carb helping to control blood sugar and appetite but get the wierdest answers. A lady at work yesterday told me she was stalled at 160 for months after dieting and losing 20 pounds. I didn't answer right away but let her talk. Then I mentioned that maybe she should try cutting her carbs WAY back and see if that helps start things up...

She said, "Oh but I do! I eat lots and lots of fruit. (??) Like a big bowl of fruit for breakfast and...." When I cut in and said, "hmm, well thats alot of carbs, just the "better" kind...she was no longer listening so I let it go.

I only really tried to help one person who seemed to be asking all the right questions. Then she stopped me a few weeks later and said she went to a wt loss clinic, paid the fee and had been doing it for two weeks but it "wasnt working". I asked what she was told to eat and she said, "anything I want as long as its under 1000 calories. they said carbs dont matter..."

So, yeah....i'm not out to change the world but when they ASK ME...it's be nice if they also LISTENED. :dunno: :stars: :)

MiniMomma 02-10-2012 06:36 PM

I totally respect others choice of plans or lack there of... I was there once, on one those plans that only counted calories, never able to burn off what I ate. I would spend hours so upset that I finally did some reasearch, read some books and looked into why I couldnt lose. I try not to preach what I practice because your so right, noone wants to listen when you do talk about it.

Twisted Suze 02-11-2012 01:20 AM

When a certain popular diet changed a few things, among them being "free fruit", I knew that was a mistake.
I knew just from my own experience that more than 2 or 3 fruits is just too much sugar for weight loss.
Sure nuff a few weeks into it they had to back track a little and said if you were eating more than 5 !!! a day you had to start "counting" the pts.

Then last fall before I started MWL, this one lady who'd been at most of the same meetings I went to had been on a plateau for 4 months.
She'd lost 45 and still had another 45 lbs. to go.
She was seriously adhering to the diet and had even gone to her Dr. for a checkup and had her thyroid checked.
Then one week she lost, and said a neighbor of hers who was kind of a fitness nut had heard her talking about this plateau and he offered to look at her food journal.
She showed it to him and he told her she was eating too many carbs and suggested which ones to cut out and which to cut back.......and she started losing again.
(Duh....)

Anyway, I was really surprised (in a bad way) over the "free fruit" thing and even as recent as last fall, the meeting speaker said "Saturated fat makes us fat quicker than anything else."
I had to bite my tongue cause I wanted to yell "NO !....they don't know what they're talking about ! It's sugar and other carbs ! "

Even then, before MWL, I knew this was a lie cause in 2010 I discovered a 90 minute video by Dr. Robert Lustig - Prof. of Pediatrics Division of Endocrinology.
Wow.....totally changed how I thought of the worst form of sugar -
High Fructose Corn Syrup.
(This also pretty much demonized my fav. soft drink - regular Cherry Dr Pepper.....Damn ! )
HFCS has been proven to raise triglycerides.
If I'm not mistaken it is elevated triglycerides that indicates cholesterol levels in blood tests.
Sugar: The Bitter Truth

MiniMomma 02-11-2012 06:15 PM

I love this video. I was watching it one day and my hubs sat down with me and watched it all. It was almost like all the info I told him about the Gary taubes book wasnt some random info. Have you watched Fathead yet?

Bre94 02-12-2012 07:41 AM

Twiated Suze, Thanks for the youtube video Sugar - The Bitter Truth. Very interesting and will help to create different thinking for me. As Oprah says something to the effect of, 'when we know better, we do better'.

Bre

Bre94 02-12-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniMomma (Post 15409013)
I love this video. I was watching it one day and my hubs sat down with me and watched it all. It was almost like all the info I told him about the Gary taubes book wasnt some random info. Have you watched Fathead yet?

Jolene, I have ordered the book 'Why we get fat' from the library and am looking for the Fathead video. thanks for sharing

MiniMomma 02-12-2012 01:32 PM

Hulu - Fat Head - Watch the full movie now.

I couldnt find it on youtube this round but it is on Hulu. Its alot of info like the Sugar, the bitter truth, but has some humor to it.

DD80 02-15-2012 09:13 AM

I only cringe because I don't like fatty cuts of meat and couldn't eat butter, meat, and eggs for all three meals. I just need a little variety. I am not bashing the validity of the diet by any means - whatever works for someone is fine by me...I just need some cheese, a little fruit, a little veggie, nuts. etc. I just wouldn't be happy cutting all of those things out.

MiniMomma 02-19-2012 11:09 AM

I am working with the Medi diet for sure, and it is working great! I think the main thing from all the books and videos is that sugar/carbs are the problem.

:venting: I have to say my most recent irritant is people say "well you have to endulge sometimes"... .really? My latest response is "I do endulge, just not the same way as I used to".

:high5: