Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   second week downfall please read and help (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/756094-second-week-downfall-please-read-help.html)

synner 02-03-2012 11:17 AM

second week downfall please read and help

ok, so when i went in today for my 2 week checkup i was up 4 pounds from the 11 i lost last week. My fat mass was down a good bit which is the only thing keeping me focused, and i was retaining water which didn't help matters at all. I stuck to the diet eating only salad and veggies when told i could. Drank all my water for the day. I got confused though, they have me on 700 calories a day and 20-25g carbs per day. I got confused and was using my salads and toppings as my daily intake for calories and they told me today that i should be having 700 cal of PROTEIN only then the salad/veggie was to be counted seperate and not included in my daily count. So if all this is true, then all this week my body was in starvation mode barely gettin 500cal of protein. I can't believe i miss understood and let myself backslide for one whole week and gain 4 pounds back. I am struggling with protein food, i dont do seafood well. so i have been living off of chicken, turkey sausage, turkey ground lean meat, and turkey bacon. had a little steak in there as well over the past few weeks. I had a few questions. Do the medi bars count as protein intake or other for they day? They say protein bars on the front. i forgot to ask today at weigh in. Also can i eat the atkins bars and have it included in my intake? The medi bars are 14.00 a box so @7 bars 2.00 each is kinda meh pricey. atkins bars are 5.00 for a box of 5 and 7.00 a box for the meal ones. Justin trying to get some advice here. I am as of now back to protein only no veggies or salad until my ketosis gets back into the zone. Let me know what yall think please.

Michelynn 02-03-2012 11:48 AM

Protein bars count as protein, and I use the Atkins bars a lot. Just count the net carbs.

About the veggie/protein issue... I'd be surprised if you were really eating 200 calories of veggies per day. They're not supposed to be unlimited -- a serving is one cup raw or 1/2 cup cooked and about 25 calories. So if you're having your 2 servings a day, that's only 50 calories.

The important thing is you lost fat. Water will be up and down (and mine has been mostly up lately). As long as your fat went down, you're good. Don't beat yourself up.

synner 02-03-2012 11:57 AM

Thanks for the info! Fat loss is the goal here the scale is second on the list I just like to see pounds down too!! I think what happened was I was eating under 500 cal of protein a day which led to my body holding on to everything! Any suggestions on a day to day menu? I can't do seafood and shakes me me sick I can't stand them but most protein bars I can handle! Which Atkins ones do you eat most flavor wise? Only ending week 3 here so many questions will come so bare with me.
A small non scale victory though is today I am 2 weeks without sweet tea/sodas/and milk. I rarely drank milk but the tea and sodas easy two glasses of each per day! Water 100% for the past 2 weeks

Sandinga80 02-03-2012 03:53 PM

Hi!

I feel you on the water, I hardly ever drink enough. I work, I go out, I'm stuck in traffic a lot, I can't be in the bathroom all the time! I drink as much as I can, and if the scale doesn't budge, then I set aside some time to really guzzle down a bunch, like when I know I'm going to be home for a few hours.

I was at a point where the scale didn't change for a week and a half. I was so upset. It turned out that I had lost 2 pounds of fat that week, but was up 2 pounds in water...so I went nuts on the water for the next few days, drinking even more than the 128 ounces they tell you to...I lost three pounds on the scale just like that ;)

I don't do shakes or bars...I like real food :) I need different flavors and textures and the satisfaction from chewing! It's hard in the beginning of Medi but you'll start to learn that there really are a lot of options. It sounds like you are eating a good variety of protein, but it's important to add variety and remember that there's hundreds of way to eat chicken. Grilled chicken, roast chicken, chicken and veggie skewers, chicken burgers, chicken smoked sausage, chicken cheese and avocado wraps (my own creation), chicken fajitas with lettuce instead of tortillas... (starting to sound like Bubba Gump aren't I?)

Also if you like turkey, Jennie-O makes a great turkey tenderloin. It's a little pricey, about $11-$12 but it makes a ton of food, so it will last you a few meals. There's also turkey smoked sausage that's great and easy.

Not sure if you like pork, but lean pork chops also can be an option. Just trim the fat off.

And if you're not in the mood for meat, I find egg white omelettes to be a fast easy dinner. Again, there are hundreds of ways to make an omelette, takes about 5-10 minutes, and they are loaded with protein and very low cals.

Just some ideas...I know not everyone loves to cook like I do, so if you ever need help for ideas, let me know!

Sandra

mpellerin 02-03-2012 06:05 PM

Synner, do you like ham? I buy the boneless hams and try to keep some in the fridge. I cook it per the package directions, let cool then slice the whole thing, that way it's ready when I want it. 3 ounces = 100 calories, and it's a good change from chicken, etc. I also cube it and make an omelette with a wedge or half a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese.
Mpellerin

synner 02-04-2012 07:58 AM

Those are awesome bubba gump chicken ideas lol!! Yeah I have cooked in Restaraunts for 10 years I know how to cook some good stuff. I like chicken pork turkey ham and tuna. Those are my favorite meats so a good variety! I try not to get hung up on the scale, since I did lose fat an gained water this last week. I am a full time student, husband, dad, and a full time job. Breakfast I can do good, lunch is where a good quick easy bar would kick in, and I'm at the restaurant for dinner most nights so making something then is easy. I had turkey bacon slices and scrambled eggs this morning, will have a chicken breast for lunch, and turkey pattie for dinner. Since I was told to start over with protein for 4 days to get me back in ketosis no veggies. Another question would be, when I can eat veggies and salads again, how many times a week can I have them? Every day?

Sandinga80 02-04-2012 12:08 PM

Yeah the clinic told me that if I ever went off plan and knocked myself out of ketosis, to go back to the all meat phase (week 1)..I'm guessing after you've been in ketosis for 4 days, you can go back to veggies. 2 servings a day (every day), or you can do 1 serving veggie/1 serving fruit.

I know it must be hard with your schedule, but it's much easier if you start making lunches the night before...I usually make salads out of the leafy green salad mix, throw some grape tomatoes, and a lean protein, like tuna or deli grade turkey/chicken lunchmeat. Takes about 5 minutes to throw together. I also like make my chicken avocado wraps, or even easier, I take leftovers from the night before. Celery with pb or hummus is good too, and maybe just have some jerky for the protein. You can always buy a small container of hummus or get the pb in small cups..and you can usually find celery already cut up in the grocery store. For the chicken wraps:

I take Boar's Head Chicken (or turkey) Lunchmeat, spread it with some low fat Laughing Cow, and a slice of avocado, then roll it up and enjoy!

Twisted Suze 02-04-2012 10:49 PM

It's just me but I cannot stand the turkey versions of most meats, except for the turkey pepperoni that you nuke till it's crunchy. I love that but it's so salty, I don't have it more than 3 times a week.

Tried the egg whites mixed with one whole egg.
Blecchhh.....to me it's just a watered down egg.
I don't have a cholesterol problem, so I don't worry about not liking Eggbeaters much either.
I eat 2 whole eggs scrambled every morning with a half ounce of Habanero grated cheese on top......regular cheese makes it 50 cal.s in a 1/2 oz. but it's worth it. Sometimes I chop a small Trappey jalapeno and put it in the skillet with the eggs.....About 3 times a week I add two strips of real bacon (nuked crunchy) and eat that after the eggs. I love bacon and don't want it "diluted" by other flavors.

I drink two 16 oz. glasses of water every day before I eat breakfast and they have "gone on" quickly by the time I eat.
I don't always get in all eight 16 oz. glasses every day but that does make a difference if you are able to do that !!
I also drink a 16 oz. glass before I eat lunch and dinner.

I do better with lunch being the same every day (keep it simple, stupid :-D ), so that's a cheese stick and MWL's ready to drink chocolate protein drink. I recently have started adding a tablespoon of 100% cocoa (10 cal. - 1 net carb) to the chocolate drink and shake it in one of those shaker bottles with the spiral thingy in them. Without a blender, those work best....
Occasionally I add 4 oz. of fat free milk...

Don't forget about lean hamburger, either !
(Is it 93% lean that's on our list ?)
Melt cheese on the hamburger.
Eat salsa with it, if the salsa doesn't have any sugars added.

JMO, but I think a tiny little bit of extra fat isn't going to set you back any.
It adds flavor and helps you feel more satisfied...and fat Doesn't trigger insulin release, so that's important.
This is one of the reasons I use regular grated cheese on my eggs, but I do weigh out 1/2 an ounce.

Don't forget to count all of the liquids you drink towards your total fluids.....but water is best.

I'm taking phentermine right now and find it works best if I take it in the afternoon cause I'm up till at least 1 or 2am.

Hope some of my information helps !

synner 02-04-2012 11:01 PM

You guys are really helpful! I am going shopping tomorrow and am excited to try some of the things listed here. I can't do shakes but love bars. I was told and reading here that the Atkins one are a good replacement to the expensive medi bars. The Atkins have several meal replacement bars with 240 cal an 3 net carbs. Anyone have any luck with these?