Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   2nd Week and Some Guidance Requested (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/755570-2nd-week-some-guidance-requested.html)

DD80 01-30-2012 02:09 PM

2nd Week and Some Guidance Requested

First of all, HELLO! :shake: I just posted on the newbie thread, but also wanted to hopefully get some guidance here. This is going to be long - so thank you for reading it all. I'm so happy to find a community like this one for support. I've been reading post after post trying to glean knowledge and wisdom from all of you. However, my plan is a bit different so I'm having some different issues that I thought I'd put out there.

I just started on 1/10/12 and have had two weigh ins so far - down a total of 7.7 lbs. I'm excited at my progress! However, I noticed starting last Tuesday that I'm at a stall (I weigh everyday) and am actually up about a lb from that stall today so I wrote in to my clinic for some guidance.

Mine is a bit different from most on here because it seems I cannot have any dairy during weightloss phase. That makes it tough for me, especially since low carb recipes always seem to have some sort of cheese - even the ones in this forum usually do. It's hard to find recipes without cheese! LOL. Seriously, cheese would make this so much easier.

I can't have hummus although it seems low carb/cal/fat enough to me. I find it strange that it's a low carb plan, but I can't have some foods that are allowed on low carb plans (like cheese and hummus), but, they allow fruit for free twice a week (after 2 weeks) and even allow a "healthy chocolate" that they sell (again, after 2 weeks). Tomatoes are severely limited. Since I'm at a stall, I was told to eliminate them entirely. However, I'm allowed to have sunflower seed butter, olive oil and nuts (of course in small amounts).

I am having a hard time because I'm not a big salad eater, even though I make myself eat a small one every few days (thank the higher power for avocado!). (The hummus was so that I could eat more veggies). I made a beef and vegetable soup (cabbage, green beans, onions, garlic, celery) that has been good to me as a quick meal (although now I must make without carrots and tomatoes - OOPS :o ). I also made some stuffed peppers that were great, but added a small amount of cheese (so next time, I will make without cheese - I just needed a binder). I don't like raw celery (unless cut up small in tuna salad) and having been choking down some cucumbers (which I like...but not that much). I will eat spinach and I will eat pickles and mushrooms, but was trying to cut those out for a bit, just to try to deal with any yeast problem I may have (kill two birds with one stone?).

I guess I also had chosen a protein drink that had too much carb (5g, 3g fiber though) and must switch that too. Since I apparently can have almond milk (unsweetened, plain), I will use that w/ an accetable protein powder (already found one) to make a drink for a breakfast. I can't eat eggs every day!

I try to stay away from fake sugars (don't sit well), but will have the occasional sugar free syrup drink (like rasberry torani w/ almond milk - YUM!).

In the weight loss phase, I am supposed to have 500 cals of protein, 100 cals of veggies, and 200 cals of "free foods." According to my coach's email this morning, I can have 200 calories more than that when I exercise, but they must fit in those guidelines. However, he also said that I can have full fat cheese for those 200 cals extra - not low fat cheese - which is weird because it's forbidden. I feel like, in trying to make this diet simple, they've made it complicated! LOL I like specificity, I guess. :annoyed:

Free foods:
Sugar free gelatin, drinks, popsicles (Don't eat really)
Dill pickles (Ok)
Radishes (Ok)
Hearts of Palm (Don't know what to do with these - never had)
Broccoli (cooked)
Celery (cooked)
Bamboo shoots (not interested)
Pumpkin (probably not going to happen)
Mushrooms (ok)
Cucumber (ok in small doses)
Lettuce/spinach (ok, like spinach more)
Fat free half and half (I'll try it, but not keen on fake foods)
1-2 pieces of fruit per week after 2 weeks
Items with less than 2g fat/2g carb/2g sugar

One more thing - I don't understand why I can have my nuts and nut butter even though they don't fall under the realm of vegetable or "free food." They are not on the "forbidden foods" list, but dairy is, but I can have that if I work out? They also call olive oil a "free food" under a certain amount, but you'd literally have to eat 1/2 a tsp to equal less than 2g of fat. My thinking is, they don't care about "healthy" fats that much, but I can't be certain.

I'm also working with allergies to oats (which I can't have anyway), stevia, peanuts, turkey, and shellfish. I also try to avoid soy and wheat (which I can't have anyway).

I'm sorry that was so long, I just wanted to get it all out there! I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and meal options. Please help!

DD80 01-30-2012 03:59 PM

Anyone?

DD80 01-31-2012 09:51 AM

Ok, well, I cut out the hummus yesterday and carrots. I had a homemade protein shake after working out (acceptable powder, almond milk, and raspberry syrup).

My day:

Protein shake (The "recalled" one)

Vegetable and Beef soup (tried to pick out any tomatoes, but left carrots)

Salad w/ lettuce and avocado (no dressing)
2 tbsp of sunflower butter
5 slices of english cucumber

New homemade Protein Shake (after workout)

This morning I woke up to a 2.8lb loss, so that's good. I finally dropped the water weight!

Today:

New Protein Shake

Burger with no bun? Not sure yet.
Salad with lettuce, avocado, and cucumbers
2 tbsp Sunflower seed butter

1 ounce mixed sunflower seeds, pumpkin seends, almonds (all raw, not roasted or salted)

Protein shake (after workout)

It will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings. My weigh in is Friday and would like to have at least lost 2 lbs for the week.

For this week, I'm thinking that I'm going to make a version of a tuscan chicken and spinach soup, minus the beans, of course, and a cauliflower vichyssoise. Good way to get some veggies in, I think.

I think it's funny that my coach asked if I was vegetarian based on my diet. I was just trying to get some veggies in! LOL. IIt's also that I love meat, I really do, but there isn't much variety without cheese or fruit (applesauce and pork anyone?) so I get sick of the same flavor over and over.

I'd still love to hear from you guys - opinions, recipes, questions, comments, ANYTHING!!

MiniMomma 01-31-2012 05:55 PM

I wish I had been on this longer to offer more advice. All I can say is that sometimes fat free or low fat have higher carb rate in exchange so that may explain the cheese. I put tuna/chicken salads on top of some mixed greens to get some veggie in. Can also put some fresh spinach or mushrooms in omlettes... Good luck!

DD80 02-01-2012 07:00 AM

Thank you!

Thank you for responding! I agree about the higher carb count of low fat cheeses, it just seemed like the natural choice since others on similar programs can have it. I was trying to be sneaky and add it in! :cool:

I am finally adding in mushrooms, so I will try that omelet idea! Thank you. I make an artichoke bruscetta topping that goes great in eggs too, so I might make some of that...just halve the mayo w/ olive oil and nix the parm.

The tuna on salad is a great idea too. I'm so sick of salad right now though. I will try it in a week or two.

I'm going to make that chicken soup with garlic, onions, homemade stock, store stock, celery, green beans, mushrooms, spinach, and chicken breast/thighs. I'm going to roast all the chicken with some lemon juice/zest and olive oil before I cut it up for soup. I'm also making my DH chicken enchiladas at the same time, so hence all the chicken. I think that the chicken enchilada recipe would be maintenance friendly if you use low fat cheese/sour cream.

I'd still like to try the cauliflower vichyssoise, but I bought into bountiful baskets and I'm not sure what I'm going to get, so I'll wait for that before I come up with more recipes (hence trying to use up what I have before it comes).

I'm also going to try to make a thousand island that I can use just a little bit of on a burger...too dry otherwise. blech.

Oh, and I weighed myself this morning and I'm .1 lower than yesterday! So, I was happy that the loss stayed a loss and I'm not fluctuating!

I also wanted to add the recipe for my protein shake (not much of a recipe, really)

1 cup almond milk (unsweeted, plain or vanilla - whatever you can find)
1 scoop designer whey natural protein powder
2 tbl Torani Raspberry sugar-free syrup

It tastes like the milk leftover after you eat trix or fruit loops. I like it!

DD80 02-02-2012 12:08 PM

Today is really the first day that I have no desire to eat. Maybe because I at a bigger breakfast? I'm eating the things I brought anyway, but it's just a weird feeling to just not be hungry. I'm going to try again to not take the 3rd appetite suppressant and see what happens. I even took the second one about an hour after I usually do because I wasn't hungry. Weird.

BTW, Minimomma - I had an omelet this morning with spinach, ham, mushrooms, and just a few green peppers. It was delish! Thank you for the idea!

Mare :) 02-03-2012 12:17 PM

Hey girl!!!! So glad your urge is gone! Mine has been gone since like day 4. I'm very grateful and feel blessed by that.

I did watch 600 lb. So so sad.

DD80 02-05-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mare :) (Post 15386690)
Hey girl!!!! So glad your urge is gone! Mine has been gone since like day 4. I'm very grateful and feel blessed by that.

I did watch 600 lb. So so sad.

Thank you! I now think the 3rd appetite suppressant is needed! At least when there are cookies around this house...lol. I was starving yesterday! I didn't have a cookie, but I did have a 100 cals of dark chocolate and a little fruit. Today, I'm back to mostly protein and low cals. I was proud of my control though, considering I cooked all day AND decorated cookies.

Mare :) 02-16-2012 05:58 PM

Atta girl!!!!