Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Dreamfield Pasta (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/755293-dreamfield-pasta.html)

Sandinga80 01-28-2012 07:58 AM

Dreamfield Pasta

Hi everyone!
I hope everyone is doing well :) I'm going into my 7th week on Medi Weight Loss, and am down 26 pounds, which I'm so happy about. I hope you all are losing the pounds as well, and seeing how great this program is...

Just had a question about Dreamfield Pasta...please don't think I'm looking to cheat, because I'm not. I love to cook and have been coming up with lots of great recipes that just use meats/veggies/fruits, and I'm not really craving carbs anymore. I'm a big fan of using spaghetti squash to make "mock" pasta dishes...however my counselor brought up Dreamfield Pasta, which I guess has 5 digestible carbs?

I was curious if any of you have used it? I have a feeling that net carbs and digestible are not the same? Is this something that's more for the maintenance phase rather than the acute phase? I'm just really fond of looking for healthy alternatives to the food that we used to eat, and I love trying new things so I thought I'd ask...let me know, thanks!

Sandra

Michelynn 01-28-2012 09:57 AM

Net carbs and digestible carbs are the same thing. I haven't tried the Dreamfields pasta. You could always try it and see if it slows you down or not. You might also want to try the shirataki noodles (Miracle Noodles is one brand). They are 0 calories and 0 carbs. I haven't tried them, but there has been a lot of discussion if you want to search old threads -- people seem to either love them or hate them. I know the spaghetti squash is not for acute -- I forget if it's a summer or winter squash (and which one is allowed during acute), but I looked it up a few months ago and it's the wrong one.

gharkness 01-28-2012 10:57 AM

There has been an absolutely huge debate about this very topic in the low carb community. You can easily Google what I am referring to.

Anyway, it's pretty much a YMMV type thing, with most people saying that there's little - if any - difference in the postprandial glucose profile (even in non-diabetics) between real pasta and Dreamfields.

This all came about as a result of Andreas Eenfeld's presentation on the Low Carb cruise last year. I have never believed in magic, so I never thought that Dreamfield's was anything but hype, but I will say: if a **normal** person like Andreas has glucose issues from eating it, it's unlikely to be a good thing for anyone else.

There are those who say they use it without problem. I wonder, though, whether they followed through as often and for as long as Andreas did in his testing.

Sandinga80 01-28-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelynn (Post 15368980)
Net carbs and digestible carbs are the same thing. I haven't tried the Dreamfields pasta. You could always try it and see if it slows you down or not. You might also want to try the shirataki noodles (Miracle Noodles is one brand). They are 0 calories and 0 carbs. I haven't tried them, but there has been a lot of discussion if you want to search old threads -- people seem to either love them or hate them. I know the spaghetti squash is not for acute -- I forget if it's a summer or winter squash (and which one is allowed during acute), but I looked it up a few months ago and it's the wrong one.

Thank you for responding! I'm not sure about summer/winter squash...I had discussed spaghetti squash with my counselor before including it in my diet, and she said it was fine to have during acute. But I know things like Butternut Squash aren't allowed, because it's high in sugar....

Sandinga80 01-28-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gharkness (Post 15369095)
There has been an absolutely huge debate about this very topic in the low carb community. You can easily Google what I am referring to.

Anyway, it's pretty much a YMMV type thing, with most people saying that there's little - if any - difference in the postprandial glucose profile (even in non-diabetics) between real pasta and Dreamfields.

This all came about as a result of Andreas Eenfeld's presentation on the Low Carb cruise last year. I have never believed in magic, so I never thought that Dreamfield's was anything but hype, but I will say: if a **normal** person like Andreas has glucose issues from eating it, it's unlikely to be a good thing for anyone else.

There are those who say they use it without problem. I wonder, though, whether they followed through as often and for as long as Andreas did in his testing.

Thanks for this! I did some research online and it looked like for the most part, people liked it, but it didn't say if they were people following a low-carb diet. From what you're saying, I might just play it safe and skip it, or talk to my counselor more about it since she's the one who introduced me to the idea :)