Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mare :)
Stats: 186/148/140
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Center
Start Date: January 1 2012
Anyone have any tips on cutting down on the Medi "extras"???

Hey all!!!

So I'm wondering If any of you have tips on cheaper alternatives to Medi products you would suggest? Such as an alternative to the shakes for example? I love the vanilla protein shakes but 25$ for that little canister is expensive.... Especially when my weekly visit is 80 bucks right there!!!! Meal bars? Whatever.

Also... Maybe some of u could give your personal thoughts on the shots .... Like should I get two a week ?

Please give your opinions!!!!

Thanks so much and have a great day!!!!
Mare :) is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelynn
Stats: 215/157/150
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 9/6/11
Bars -- I've never bought the Medi bars. I do buy Atkins bars, and I like them. There is a big variety with wildy different nutrional counts so read the labels closely if you check them out. Also, the prices can vary depending on the store. I don't even know how much the Medi bars are, but I usually buy the Atkins bars on sale and it's about $1 per bar. It's very difficult to find bars that are not loaded with carbs.

Shakes -- I have the chocolate Medi powder right now, and I really do like it. There are 16 servings in the jar so that's more than some I've seen, and I've tried other brands that I didn't care for. I can't think of a specific name of one that I did like right now. Again, you have to be careful about the carbs in other brands, and you may find that the price of the Medi brand is a good value after all.

Shots -- I always get both on my weekly visit. I go for the additional B12 about 25% of the time (depends on my schedule and if I can find time). I think I've gotten the second B6 twice. I really haven't been able to tell a specific difference in terms of weight loss (haven't recorded it) or how I feel if I go in mid-week. I just have so much more energy anyway from eating better and losing weight so it's hard to pinpoint if the injections are part of it too.

Hope that helps.
Abdomen -15.5
Hips -10
Michelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your insight!!! I love the vanilla shakes I'm not gonna lie. Just wish they were not 25 dollars a canister!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiniMomma
Stats: 165.6/124.6/125
WOE: Medi 1-9-11
i like some of the adkins products also. I havent used them since starting medi but the premade shakes were good. I am only starting week 3 but I get both shots and the mid week one as often as I can.
MiniMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Catgaston
Stats: 216/158/160
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinics
Start Date: July 2012
Shakes

Jay Robb protein shake powders are wonderful and a better value at some health food stores. The Pure Protein bars, cheapest at Costco, actually have higher percentage of protein to carb than Atkins or Medi. They are large and filling. 1/2 as a snack or a whole as a meal or after working out is great. Good luck!
Catgaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thank you!!! I actually asked one of the girls at the clinic... Of course they want to sell me their proctucts only and she had said that "other" products contained cholesterol and such. Well I found a whey protein mix at GNC that had higher protein, lower calories and less cholesterol then Medi shake. I'm pretty happy about that . I did get the bar u mentioned. It was recommended by the manager.... Looking at the Lable it def had all I was looking for and more. Could care less about the taste tbh

Thanks for your advice.

Have a great weekend!!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I was looking for atkins bars tonight and only found ones that were really high in calorie like 130 calories and 160 calories...Can you make a suggestion as to which ones you get? thanks for your help.

Linda
lindaincalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelynn
Stats: 215/157/150
Start Date: 9/6/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaincalifornia View Post
I was looking for atkins bars tonight and only found ones that were really high in calorie like 130 calories and 160 calories...Can you make a suggestion as to which ones you get? thanks for your help.

Linda
The ones I get are mostly around there calorie-wise. They are the Daybreak variety and also the red ones (it says "light meal/heavy snack" or something similar). I use one for breakfast or an afternoon snack. I usually take my lunch to work--something like lettuce with chicken & cheese. And I also usually take an individual cottage cheese (90 calories) and a bar -- so I'll have either the bar or cottage cheese for breakfast and then the other one about 3:00.

They have some that are close to 200 (or even more) and I don't get those. They have blue on the label.

There are also some that are more dessert-like (PB cups, coconut & chocolate) that have very little protein but still very low net carbs. I have gotten those for a treat and ration them!
Michelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I can use protein powders that have 2 g fat, 2 g carb, 2 g sugar, or less. Swanson's vitamins online has a great protein powder that fits the bill. Also , designer whey brand, natural flavor. I mix with unsweeted almond milk and my choice of sugar free sweetener.

Premier Nutrition sells pre-made shakes at Costco and i think they are pretty good. the Vanilla has 3 g fat, 3 g carb, 2 g sugar. The chocolate has 3 g fat, 5 g carb, 2 g sugar. I do not think they stall me at all.

I do not have bars since they don't fit in my plan.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy-2-girls
Stats: 5'9" 299.2/249.2/180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss/Wii Fit/Yoga
Start Date: Restart after pregnancy bedrest: January 5, 2011
Honestly, I don't buy their shakes. I have been able to be successful without them and I really hate the processed flavor. IMO, sticking to whole, natural foods as much as possible will be more sustainable in the long run. But, I'm not a big shake-drinker normally, so that could also be why.

I have bought the 130 cal Atkins bars often and allow myself to have one of those only on days when I exercise (and thus need to replace calories burnt). Or, if it's close to TOM and I know I'll be craving chocolate, those are good to have on hand.

Explore your local grocery store and you'd be surprised to find what's there! FF greek yogurt mixed with sugar free jello powder is SO good and creamy. And totally legal! Sugar-free popsicles (check the calorie/carb counts carefully!) are a great frozen treat. There are many that are 30 calories or less. Low fat cheese sticks are an awesome grab-and-go snack (Sargento reduced fat are only 60 cal).

Unsweetened almond milk in vanilla or chocolate is yummy! Only 40 calories for a cup. I like to warm it up with Splenda and it's like hot chocolate.

I do really like the Medi BBQ zippers.. they hit the spot for when I am craving something crunchy

"Products" are great but there are lots of things already in your grocery store!

Mommy to THREE sweeties, ages 4(g), 3(g), and 8 months(b)!

Lost 100 pounds on Medi in 2009! Gained it back during bedrest for a high-risk pregnancy Restart: January 2012!!

Week 1: -12.8 pounds
Month 1: -20.6 pounds
Month 2: -16.8 pounds
Mommy-2-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bre94
Stats: 5'7.5" 240/237.5/165
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: (restarting for the 3rd or 4th time) 11/15/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare :) View Post
Thank you!!! I actually asked one of the girls at the clinic... Of course they want to sell me their proctucts only and she had said that "other" products contained cholesterol and such. Well I found a whey protein mix at GNC that had higher protein, lower calories and less cholesterol then Medi shake. I'm pretty happy about that . I did get the bar u mentioned. It was recommended by the manager.... Looking at the Lable it def had all I was looking for and more. Could care less about the taste tbh

Thanks for your advice.

Have a great weekend!!
Mare, what is the name of the protein shake from GNC? And, the bar that you are using. I like to save dollars for good value also.

Bre
Bre94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Hey bre. It's called amplified wheybolic extreme 60. I use one scoop per serving. It has less calories and less cholesterol then Medi. They taste the exact same. I also have switched to GNC's triple streath fish oil. It's one pill rather then 3 a day. And womans ultra mega active multi vit. It's stronger then Medi and also is timed release. So far all is good. Today was week seven weigh in. I'm done from 73.0 lbs of fat to 54.0 lbs!!!!! Lost 19 lbs!!! 4.5 inches off my waist. Feelin great! They have started to wean me off AS from 3 to 2. I am unhappy about that but truthfully it's cool. I don't need 3 I just hate the thought of not having them!!!

At GNC btw get the gold card. Saves you 20% And they always have buy one get one 1/2 off. So the shakes were 24 but I got the second for 12 . Lemme know how u make out!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jbjb93
Stats: 233/173.0/150
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: Sept 2, 2011
Mare
Do you know if the GNC vitamins and fish oil are cheaper than the medi versions?

I found a good natural protein powder that uses stevia for sweeter. I will look up the brand and post when I get home.

I use the Atkins bars - just the Day Break and not the Advantage. I found the Advantage higher in everything and they didn't taste as good (bought one by mistake!) I also like the breakfast bars. They aren't bad in the net carbs. Breakfast has been hard as I have always done carbs, so having this as an alternative helps! Then I add a low fat cheesestick - either string cheese or the Sargento sharp cheddar.
jbjb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Well me and the girl at GNC have gotten pretty tight these past few weeks. Lol. I bring in my Medi containers and tell her to find me the same. The fish oil was cheaper and still is 900 mg but only pill is needed. So I got two months in one bottle and def was cheaper then Medi. I'm losing every week and my hair isn't coming out so I guess I'm good. Lol. I was a bit nervous tbh taking products NOT Medi but after paying the 70 or 80 bucks for the visit I just couldn't shell out another 25 for the shake mix or 15 bucks for vitamins. The gold card at GNC is key. And they have military discount too which is a plus for me. I will get my ketone sticks there as well.

Good luck and Like I said , take your Medi labels and let them match them up for you.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jaimemmc
Stats: 199/199/140
WOE: medi weightloss
Start Date: February 11,2012
Hi all! Was reading through this thread and have a few questions! I have only been to my first appointment so far and at that they gave me a bag with all the supplements i need to be taking. I was under the impression that they are included with the money you are paying. Am i wrong? If i am wrong does that mean when i run out i have to pay to replace at clinic and if so why are the weekly appointments so expensive?! Also, i am not on the AS right now because of a different med that i am on, however, i will be starting them and wondered how that works. Do they write you a script and you fill it at the pharmacy of yout choice? How much does it cost? Thanks for your input and the all the great info above!
jaimemmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jessica1129
Stats: 5'9 293/221.8/170
Start Date: February 1, 2012
Jaime, yes once your pills run out you do have to pay for them. At my clinic they include the Vita Super every 30 days if you maintain your weekly appointments, but that's all. As for the AS, they'll give you a weeks worth at a time. My clinic has me go to a certain Walgreens to pick it up. And its included in the price. Hope that helps!
Jessica1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jaimemmc
Stats: 199/199/140
WOE: medi weightloss
Start Date: February 11,2012
Thank you for the input! I really appreciate it!
jaimemmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jbjb93
Stats: 233/173.0/150
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: Sept 2, 2011
Mare

I was looking at the GNC web site. I could only find omega with 1000, which is the same as the medi. Would still need to take 3 a day and it would be more $ than medi. Did you find some that are 3000?
jbjb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Hey !! So it's called triple strength fish oil. 900 mg. 1 cap daily. They said u could take 2. I take one and all my hair is intact.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marsizemore
Stats: 223/161/155
WOE: I've tried South Beach. Newbie to Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: December 2011
Personally, I don't use the Medi bars because they use Maltitol for the alcohol sugars. From what I've been reading online, we're supposed to stay away from this.

Maltitol - The Problems With Maltitol

For the protein powder, I've been using EAS 'Body For Life' 100% Whey Protein powder, chocolate. I found this at my local grocery store. Here's the skinny on this stuff:

Serving size: 1 scoop, 30 g
Cal: 130
Fat: 2.5 g
Sodium: 50 mg
Potassium: 170 mg
Carb: 3 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugars: 1 g
Protein: 23 g

Hope this helps!
marsizemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marsizemore
Stats: 223/161/155
WOE: I've tried South Beach. Newbie to Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: December 2011
Mare, thanks for the GNC tip! I love the idea of asking the staff for help instead of doing all the research and legwork myself.
marsizemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Anytime!!! Me and GNC girl are like best friends these days!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nurseingu
Stats: 234/205/175
Start Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica1129 View Post
Jaime, yes once your pills run out you do have to pay for them. At my clinic they include the Vita Super every 30 days if you maintain your weekly appointments, but that's all. As for the AS, they'll give you a weeks worth at a time. My clinic has me go to a certain Walgreens to pick it up. And its included in the price. Hope that helps!
I see we both are from Richmond! I'm just getting back on track after a very busy month. I'm determined to stick with it and this really helps. Which clinic do you attend? I go to the Midlothian clinic.
Nurseingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurseingu View Post
I see we both are from Richmond! I'm just getting back on track after a very busy month. I'm determined to stick with it and this really helps. Which clinic do you attend? I go to the Midlothian clinic.
Hi Nurseingu! I go to the Gen Allen clinic. I'm in my 4th week. I'm definitely detrmined to stick with it as well. I've never had success on any other program before. And having this board is wonderful!
Old 02-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nurseingu
Stats: 234/205/175
Start Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica1129 View Post
Hi Nurseingu! I go to the Gen Allen clinic. I'm in my 4th week. I'm definitely detrmined to stick with it as well. I've never had success on any other program before. And having this board is wonderful!
Yes this board is wonderful!!! Nothing else have worked for me either. Jenny Craig is more expensive than Medi and WW just gave me too many choices. I need discipline and a plan with structure. The B12 and B6 midweek injections help too. They switched me to the once/day AS. So far so good. Hope to lose 30 lbs by May.....
Nurseingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 2Meezers
Stats: 169/159/140
WOE: Mediweightloss
Start Date: January 10,2012
I don't get the AS yet. Are they included in the weekly fee?
2Meezers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Meezers View Post
I don't get the AS yet. Are they included in the weekly fee?
Yes, they are included. I have to pick mine up at the pharmacy but I don't pay.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 2Meezers
Stats: 169/159/140
WOE: Mediweightloss
Start Date: January 10,2012
Thanks Jessica! I hope my PCP approves use for me!
2Meezers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 287.0/210.6/215.3
Start Date: February 28 2012
how do you count the calories because we should be only counting protein calories

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb93 View Post
Mare

I use the Atkins bars - just the Day Break and not the Advantage.
andyg-fit-in-2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg-fit-in-2012 View Post
how do you count the calories because we should be only counting protein calories
I count calories from bars towards my protein calories.