Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: relsomrr
Stats: 317/306/250 1st goal
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 1/17/2012
The low-down on exercise

Okay, what is the exercise requirements? Just 3 to 4 days a week? Making up burned calories w/ protein? I'm confused! Help!!
relsomrr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mare :)
Stats: 186/148/140
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Center
Start Date: January 1 2012
I exercised a full week and did not replace w protein calories !! Big mistake!!! What ever u take off u MUST replace. I stick to the tread mill that tells me how many calories I burned off so i am certain. Add whatever u want from your protein list to make up the loss. Seems redundant but your body will go into starvation mode if u don't and u will loose nothing. Trust me! I know!!! Lol

Good luck!!
Mare :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scottieMike
Stats: 265/228/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Assuming you want to lose weight, losing extra calories via exercise means you should not replace those calories with anything. Decades ago, I did medi for a short bit. I was running 5-8 miles a day at the time at a good clip. I did not add anything to my intake.

For the most part, very few people exercise at a level or duration that would require increasing your calorie intake. Often your body will compensate by slowing down between workouts. That is why many/most people do not lose weight while exercising. If you get to everyday and over 1000 per day, you might want to re-evaluate this.

The exercising may make you feel tired, exhausted and have lots of aches and pains. That is not a sign that you need food but that you are out of shape.

Exercise is good for you for a lot of reasons -- improving your muscle tone, strength, flexibility, improving your cardio system, etc. Most people can use more.

BTW, the calories on the machines are an approximation. It is likely that they are overstating the amount of your work out. So replacing calorie for calorie means you will be gaining weight.
scottieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

this is all so interesting as I went through a year with a personal trainer 3 days a week and on the off days, worked out by running 2 miles or walking 3 miles a day on the other days. I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing ANY weight and I was just getting bigger and I was on Weight Watchers at the same time..didn't make sense to me..so I just stopped working out all together other then my evening walks with my dogs. Once/if I lose this weight, I will begin strength training to build muscle. I was very frustrated that I was burning more calories then I was eating (body bugg at the time too) and I wasn't dropping one lbs..I just feel like my body is resistant to weight loss. Weird..I am following this diet very closely, weighing food..taking about 600-625 calories a day and my second week I only lost 2 lbs..this week doesn't feel much better. But I'm determined to stick this out for as long as it takes. I find that I'm not that hungry and I'm satisfied with what I eat...the only thing I notice that I miss is my chocolate so I bought sugar free chocolate at 35 calories a piece and it works perfectly for my desire. As far as exercise..I really feel that losing weight is about 80% diet.
lindaincalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I'm confused .... So the calories burnt off all be it approximate should not be replaced? So when I am consuming just 500 cal a day then go and burn 200 cal in 30 min at 4.5 mph and 3.5 incline... Two miles and burn 201 calories I shouldn't replace? Therefore my body today will then sustain off of now 300 cal?

I'm not hungry at all and HATE replacing and gladly would not if I could get away from it!! Lol
Old 01-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: neneRN
Stats: 5'1", 149/125.4/115-120
WOE: lMedi Weight Loss
Start Date: Restart 12/03/13
I did Medi a little over a year ago...I exercised every day and NEVER replaced those calories...lost 22 lbs in 6 weeks.
neneRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

WTH?!? Why is my NP telling me I have to??????? Help!!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MaraMom
Stats: 219.5/149.4/150 (5' 4")
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: July 25, 2011
I think replacing the protein is what they are after, since our calorie count is so low. When I walk briskly for 45 minutes or ride my bike for 30 (my normal "workout" 3-4 days a week), I didn't replace any calories. But then, I never ate only 500 or 600 calories but more like 725 to 750. I just made sure my protein was at least 500 to 600 of that and have done fine. If you are exercising alot more than that I don't really know...I have lost very very little muscle in the past 6 months.
MaraMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandinga80
Stats: 185/154/105
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: December 2011
Because on this program, exercise isn't the biggest catalyst for weight loss... the diet is. The way my clinic explained it....you're going to lose weight whether you exercise or not. You're cutting your calories drastically with this diet as it is, and eating foods that are low carb/low fat...and if you are just looking to "lose" weight, you dont really even NEED to exercise. The diet alone does that.

HOWEVER HOWEVER HOWEVER...they absolutely encourage you to exercise for muscle tone and cardiovascular strength, and to achieve overall health. Plus obviously, it does burn calories...therefore, my counselor told me that if I'm going to exercise, I need to consume approx 200 calories of protein, to repair muscle and to stop my body from running out of fuel. If you are eating only 500-600 calories a day, and burn 200 calories through exercise, that only leaves you with 300-400 calories to get you through the day, and my clinic told me to never ever go below 500 calories, that it's not good for you at all.

I'm sure all clinics are different, but that's how it was explained to me by my counselor and it makes sense to me Hope that helps!

Sandra
Sandinga80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Honestly Sandra you explained it perfectly.

I've been eating 500 daily and doing 30 min of cardio daily and burn between 170-275 calories each work out. ( I know these numbers are approximate). I replace my calories with either a shake or protein bar.

When you put it all into retrospect it even sounds ludicrous that u could sustain with only 200 cal a day. 500 is pretty ballsy too to begin with. It seems to be working out great. I've lost 14 lbs thus far and I will be going to week 4 weigh in Tuesday. I feel firmer then I have in years. I am in incredible mood on a reg and enough energy to concur the world. Ok. That's a bit of a stretch. Lol

Exercise is so key. The natural "high" u get is like none other.

Good luck with all of you!!