Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

drank alcohol

Hello all..so I'm on my 2nd week on medi the first week I lost 8 lbs and I just began the AS too this week. Over the weekend, my gf's gave me a 50th surprise party and of course they kept giving me alcohol...lol...I didn't drink a whole lot, stayed away from carbs at dinner but blew it with alcohol. Can someone talk to me about alcohol and this diet. Brandy has zero carbs and 64 calories a oz. Also, on the 2nd week, i was told to take in 500 calories of protein but they didn't say what my total calorie intake should be with the veges and fruit. I'm also worried about Gall Stones...so I make sure I get some fat in as in almonds. I'm hoping this will prevent this problem.
Thank you ahead of time for your comments and support.
Linda
lindaincalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiniMomma
Stats: 165.6/124.6/125
WOE: Medi 1-9-11
Hi Linda,

How did you do after the party? I am curious too as I like to have a drink or two on the weekends. My clinic told me clear alcohols are the wiser choice but I didnt know if it effected ketosis or if anyone had to restart after drinking.

Hope you had a
MiniMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scottieMike
Stats: 265/228/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Alcohol is processed in the body ahead of any other food source. This is due to the toxic intermediates that are formed during its metabolism.

The net result is by consuming alcohol, your body stops doing the diet until the alcohol is done. Your metabolism returns to what it was doing before the alcohol. Thus, you loss time. Obviously more alcohol, more time to process.

Another issue is the carb content of many alcoholic beverages -- beer, many mixed drinks, fruit drinks and wines/ports/brandies contain carbs which does stop the dieting process. You are not supposed to consume any carbs on the medifast (correct?)
scottieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiniMomma
Stats: 165.6/124.6/125
WOE: Medi 1-9-11
its very limited from what I am aware, however for me personally, I may have had a diet coke w/ rum, or some other calorie/carb free drink w/ alcohol. Thanks for explaining how it processes though, is this how sugar alcohols function as well?
MiniMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

ok, so that one night I had brandy which has zero carbs and after testing still in ketosis. I have had a brandy (one shot, 68 calories and 0 carbs) for the past two nights. I'm still in ketosis. If it stops the metabolism of the diet, I'm not sure. I did only lose 2 lbs on the 2nd week though. But I had the brandy on a saturday night and didn't weight in until the following friday. No alcohol for 6 days and was in ketosis. I'm discouraged about the minimal weightloss as I follow the diet perfectly and intaking about 650 calories. I'm increasing my water in the meantime hoping to have a better week. This is my issue..I have tried everything under the world for weightloss and my body is just resistant to it! URGH
lindaincalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scottieMike
Stats: 265/228/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Sugar alcohols are a little different.

For some, they have not affect on your carb content.
For some, they are like taking the same amount of carbs.

Generally, it is easier to keep them off your diet.
scottieMike is offline   Reply With Quote