Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   **Jumping Joyously into a MWL January** (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/751836-jumping-joyously-into-mwl-january.html)

Desert-Rose7 12-31-2011 10:41 PM

**Jumping Joyously into a MWL January**
 
We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.
~Edith Lovejoy Pierce~

A new year and a new opportunity to work on goals, large and small. Goals that are reachable and do-able. Dedicate yourself to good health and a happy spirit.
I wish for all of you, love,joy, peace and happiness in the coming year and always.

You CAN do this!:heart:

AUTiger 01-01-2012 07:15 AM

Starting over
 
Starting the program today. Did the program in 2008 and lost 49lbs in 9 weeks. :stars:Have gained 30 back due to surgery and both in-laws passing away within 37 days of each other last year. I really love the support this board gives.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and great weightloss numbers!

Heather

Fit2010 01-01-2012 05:12 PM

AUTiger - Sorry to hear about the passing of both of your in-laws, what an emotional time I'm sure, and a lot of giving of your time without being able to focus on yourself. It is frustrating to gain the weight back. I've changed my weight status today to reflect the truth....no more denial. I'm up, up, up from where I was this time a year ago, up almost 40 lbs. We can DO this....it's a new year, a new start, and now we can focus on getting back to goal!! If you like, you can go to Energy In/Energy Out thread to mark your eating and exercise.

Twisted Suze 01-01-2012 08:51 PM

Holidays are over. Time to get back in the mindset I had in November when I started.

I found this article just posted today about how losing weight changes the body a lot more physiologically than previously thought.
Much research on why maintaining is so difficult.
Very interesting - explains a Lot.
I thought it was worth the time.
However, it's 8 pages.

Still.....forewarned is foreArmed.

"The Fat Trap"
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/ma...ef=todayspaper

fd1019 01-01-2012 09:18 PM

Hello LCF!

DH and I are on our 5th day of week 1 and still going strong. We have been eating eggs, deli meat, ham, turkey burgers, bison patties, chicken breast, and steaks! We are trying to keep it diverse so we won't get too bored. lol. I have to say that today was the first day I started getting some cravings and feeling extremely tired, but I pushed through and I already feel better now that it's the end of the day. :)

I am so thankful that my husband is doing this with me because we are supporting each other through it! Good luck in the new year everyone! 2012 won't know what hit it!

cmb9802 01-02-2012 07:39 AM

Hi Everyone!

My name is Christina, from CT and I've lost 31.8lbs since the end of July. I've had a lot of medical issues that have popped up since I started, but I am focused on getting healthy. I'm pretty proud of myself for pretty much staying the same during the Holidays. I had a lot of parties and such and I usually brought something that I could eat and then I picked my best choices at the party.

Happy New Year!:)

aim in Fla*working 01-02-2012 07:43 AM

Hi guys! I am new to Medi..lost 12 pounds in 13 days. Thrilled to be on this diet.:)

sweetdulcelife 01-02-2012 12:37 PM

Newbie
 
Hey guys!

I'm on my 1st week on day 5. I'm starting to get really tired of protein.
I have a couple of questions if anyone has some time and insight:

1. What are you doing to spice up the College Inn Chicken Broth? It is so bland I struggle to get it down.

2. RE: Ketosis - Some days I test at Moderate and some days I test at Small. Is Small Ketosis considered being in ketosis? I'm using the keto sticks from the clinic and every day I've exceeded 128 oz of water.

THANK YOU!

Michelynn 01-02-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetdulcelife (Post 15290656)
Hey guys!

I'm on my 1st week on day 5. I'm starting to get really tired of protein.
I have a couple of questions if anyone has some time and insight:

1. What are you doing to spice up the College Inn Chicken Broth? It is so bland I struggle to get it down.

2. RE: Ketosis - Some days I test at Moderate and some days I test at Small. Is Small Ketosis considered being in ketosis? I'm using the keto sticks from the clinic and every day I've exceeded 128 oz of water.

THANK YOU!

Congrats -- you're almost through week 1!:high5:

1. I didn't use that specific brand so you might try another brand and see if you like it better. I don't know if your clinic said no cheese on week 1 (some do but mine didn't) so I added parmesan cheese or another cheese sometimes and let it get melty and gooey in the broth. Or you could add some egg to make an egg drop soup (didn't try that but I've seen recipes).

2. Ketosis is like pregnancy -- you are or you aren't. Don't worry Small, Moderate, etc. If it's Trace or higher, then you're in! The last sticks I got from the clinic were very hard to read; I don't know if they changed brands or if the brands changed their labeling. But I was having a hard time matching the colors I got to ANY of the colors on the label. So I bought some at CVS and they are easier to read.

Hope that helps!

sweetdulcelife 01-02-2012 01:54 PM

Thanks for the input
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelynn (Post 15290865)
Congrats -- you're almost through week 1!:high5:

1. I didn't use that specific brand so you might try another brand and see if you like it better. I don't know if your clinic said no cheese on week 1 (some do but mine didn't) so I added parmesan cheese or another cheese sometimes and let it get melty and gooey in the broth. Or you could add some egg to make an egg drop soup (didn't try that but I've seen recipes).

2. Ketosis is like pregnancy -- you are or you aren't. Don't worry Small, Moderate, etc. If it's Trace or higher, then you're in! The last sticks I got from the clinic were very hard to read; I don't know if they changed brands or if the brands changed their labeling. But I was having a hard time matching the colors I got to ANY of the colors on the label. So I bought some at CVS and they are easier to read.

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for answering! I may have to try your suggestions with the chicken broth. My clinic does not allow cheese on the 1st week but I am almost out of it ;-)

I truly appreciate your input on the ketosis issue. It's hard to match the color ... really hard actually LOL. Most of it looks pretty similar. Having just had a baby 3 months ago I can relate to the "pregnancy test" comment. As a matter of fact, it made me laugh ... I remember the 1st time I tested for pregnancy it was faint and light.

I'll take your advice and go get some from CVS. Did you get the CVS brand?

Thanks again,

Fit2010 01-02-2012 02:02 PM

Michelynn - Good advice you gave to sweetdulcelife! I concur...if you are in ketosis even a trace, your "in".....sometimes it may show varying levels depending on exercise, dilution from water, and obviously from eating carbs. But ketosis means you are burning fat. After adjusting and watching what I was eating in the past few days, and finally restarting yesterday, by this AM I was in trace ketosis and had lost 2 1/2 lbs! I think it helped that I rode my bicycle for about an hour outside yesterday afternoon. Also, I love the idea of Measurements Lost in your signature. Good job!!

chanlynn42 01-02-2012 02:14 PM

Consultation Tomorrow-
 
I am really nervous...any words of advice? Any questions that I should ask to help me?

Fit2010 01-02-2012 02:23 PM

Chanlynn, check out the Newbie thread....should answer lots of questions for you and help you think of some! Welcome!

sweetdulcelife 01-02-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chanlynn42 (Post 15290951)
I am really nervous...any words of advice? Any questions that I should ask to help me?

Like FIT2010 said, the Newbie thread has some awesome advise. I've been going through it during the past week. If I saw tips or things or recipes I liked I took a screen shot of it and saved it on a folder on my computer. I'm not done yet since there is a lot of useful information.

I will finish week 1 on Wed. and by now I am a bit tired of protein and having to get creative about how to season it and what to eat so I don't detest it. Having said that something that has helped me tremendously is looking over the Medi Friendly recipes and imagining what I am going to be able to eat soon. At this time, I am super excited to add fruits and veggies next week. If you knew me you would have never guessed I am looking forward to VEGETABLES. Me? Vegetables? not much LOL but now Oh My Goodness I've been craving them like there is no tomorrow.

Hang in there. You'll do great. I've found awesome helpful and supportive people within the Medi Weightloss Thread.

What clinic will you be going to? I'm in FL too.

Michelynn 01-02-2012 05:28 PM

Sweetdulcelife-- Yes, I got the CVS brand.

Fit2010-- Thanks :) I actually track measurements for neck, upper arms, wrists, bust, rib cage, waist, abdomen, hips, upper thighs, calves, and ankles (and all have gotten smaller). Sometimes you see progress in an unexpected way! And it's always nice to see a loss in a measurement SOMEwhere even if the scale didn't show it.

fd1019 01-02-2012 06:18 PM

Whew! DH and I are at the end of our 6th day! One. more. day. til week 1 is over! :) We are very excited about adding the veggies in on Wednesday! :) I have to say, neither one of us have even thought about cheating or quitting, but the last two days I have been very hungry and tired! I have been testing positive on the ketostix since day 3... I'm wondering how long I will continue to feel hungry and tired? Anyone have any insight?

fd1019 01-02-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aim in Fla*working (Post 15289841)
Hi guys! I am new to Medi..lost 12 pounds in 13 days. Thrilled to be on this diet.:)


Way to go "aim in Fla!" Those are awesome results! :D What is your ultimate goal?

betty_going_85 01-03-2012 08:10 AM

I restarted Medi on 1/1/2012.

I'm up 10.2 pounds so of course I wasn't too please with that but I look at it as being smart enough to stop before it got too bad. My desire is to get to my goal weight this year and I needed to at least start again at the clinic. So, I'm feeling good about myself for not using the weight gain as an excuse to give up.

I'm back and I'm sticking with it this time. I'm claiming victory this year.

sweetdulcelife 01-03-2012 06:52 PM

Heart Related Issues
 
Hey guys ...

The 1st day I went to start Medi (1 week ago, tomorrow is weigh in) when they did the EKG, they told me it was abnormal. Since they told me the EKG was abnormal I've been having some discomfort on my left side (like tightness on my chest area). I went to my primary care physician today and they did another EKG. The results were abnormal again. They did a Heart X ray and that didn't show up anything bad. I also visited a Cardiologist and he reviewed all of my stuff. He said not to worry since everything sounds normal and he didn't find any irregularities other than the abnormal EKG. He said just to be sure he would do a Stress Test this upcoming Friday.

I'm 28 and have never had any heart related issues. I'm concerned about all of this and hoping is nothing serious.

I gave the cardiologist a list of all the medicines I am taking, including all of the Medi Pills and injections. For the Appetite Suppresant I am taking Stay Slim due to the abnormal EKG.

I asked the cardiologist if I should stop or address anything in regards to the pills, injections or diets. He said keep doing what you are doing and we will talk on Friday. I guess I don't have to stop anything.

MY QUESTION: Has anyone had any similar experiences? If you have heart problems, were you cleared to do Medi? How about taking the Stay Slim? and the Injections? Fat Burner? etc?

Fit2010 01-03-2012 08:49 PM

Sweet - I can tell that you are very concerned about this, as you should be. I'm a nurse and I have mitral valve prolapse that was diagnosed when I was 29 and pregnant, but if they had suspected that on you that would have probably done a 2D echocardiogram (sonogram), perhaps that is what you mean by a "heart xray". I'm wondering if you have a prolonged QT interval or if you have an irregular heartbeat....then if the irregularity is atrial or ventricular. Ask questions. If it ends up being MVP that is no big deal really. In ANY case, make sure that you are drinking ALL your water and that you have at least one Smart Water-like electrolyte drink daily, also that you take your MWL vits. One thing that can make you feel symptoms of MVP is dehydration, or extra weight gain....it has to do with pumping the blood around and if some blood leaks back into the area it was just pumped out of then you can feel slight shortness of air, tired, and for some people slight pain....but it is not from "blockage" like people get from coronary artery disease. Until Friday, if I were you, I'd lay low on the increased caffiene. MVP has a heriditary component to it and about 1/3 of all women have it. Perhaps you can check about the women in your family. Make sure the cardiologist gives you the okay to be on the Fat Burners. I have been on Atenolol (heart med) for over 15 years now and I was okay to be on the regular AS and Fat Burners because Atenolol helps prevent my heart from racing and skipping beats. Hope this helps. Definitely get it all checked out and let us know! Thinking of you!

Betty - Welcome back....it is wise to get into accountability before the upward trend gets away from you! We can do this, again!!

fd1019 - I think you are feeling awful and hungry from carb withdrawal. Make sure you are getting all your water, electrolyte water. Stick with it! And, for me, I do better when I only add in veggies...for me to add in fruit makes me hungrier! So, it might be okay like at certain times of the day....or an idea is to take a serving of green grapes, freeze them, and eat them s-l-o-w-l-y over a period of a couple of hours. Then you don't get such the carb rush! JMHO

fd1019 01-03-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fit2010 (Post 15295366)
fd1019 - I think you are feeling awful and hungry from carb withdrawal. Make sure you are getting all your water, electrolyte water. Stick with it! And, for me, I do better when I only add in veggies...for me to add in fruit makes me hungrier! So, it might be okay like at certain times of the day....or an idea is to take a serving of green grapes, freeze them, and eat them s-l-o-w-l-y over a period of a couple of hours. Then you don't get such the carb rush! JMHO

Thank you Fit2010. :) I actually felt a lot better today and painted my kitchen! haha! I had been planning on doing it this week while I'm on break, but hadn't had the energy until today. I barely even thought about food because I was so involved in my project. And now, I am through with Week 1! Week 2 starts in the morning! Bring on the veggies! Can't wait to see how much I've lost! :) Thanks for the support ladies! :)

DiniRN 01-04-2012 12:18 AM

Twisted Suze, I read the same article the other day at work. Made a lot of sense actually, explains why it's so hard to lose, especially the second time around.

I'm in week 3, and I've been having trouble making myself eat. Now...I'm hungry, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to eat. I feel nauseated at the sight of anything I am allowed to have, and really can't think of anything I want. The other day I ate so little I had to force myself to at least eat an Atkins meal bar and have a protein shake to at least get some nutrition. Now today, I'm starving, hunger pangs and everything. I'm wondering if I'm starting to get used to the appetite suppressant. Seems kinda early for that though, maybe it's hormones.

I actually fit into a cute hoodie I haven't worn in almost 2 years today, and one of my fav pairs of jeans last week already. I'm far from my other clothes, but it made my day to wear that hoodie again! That does help me to want to stick to it. I just find it easier not to eat sometimes and I have to force myself to eat.

I bought myself some new panties as a reward for losing over 10lbs, and I'm going to keep doing something for every 10lbs.

sweetdulcelife 01-04-2012 04:23 AM

Thank u!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fit2010 (Post 15295366)
Sweet - I can tell that you are very concerned about this, as you should be. I'm a nurse and I have mitral valve prolapse that was diagnosed when I was 29 and pregnant, but if they had suspected that on you that would have probably done a 2D echocardiogram (sonogram), perhaps that is what you mean by a "heart xray". I'm wondering if you have a prolonged QT interval or if you have an irregular heartbeat....then if the irregularity is atrial or ventricular. Ask questions. If it ends up being MVP that is no big deal really. In ANY case, make sure that you are drinking ALL your water and that you have at least one Smart Water-like electrolyte drink daily, also that you take your MWL vits. One thing that can make you feel symptoms of MVP is dehydration, or extra weight gain....it has to do with pumping the blood around and if some blood leaks back into the area it was just pumped out of then you can feel slight shortness of air, tired, and for some people slight pain....but it is not from "blockage" like people get from coronary artery disease. Until Friday, if I were you, I'd lay low on the increased caffiene. MVP has a heriditary component to it and about 1/3 of all women have it. Perhaps you can check about the women in your family. Make sure the cardiologist gives you the okay to be on the Fat Burners. I have been on Atenolol (heart med) for over 15 years now and I was okay to be on the regular AS and Fat Burners because Atenolol helps prevent my heart from racing and skipping beats. Hope this helps. Definitely get it all checked out and let us know! Thinking of you!
JMHO

Thank you so much for your response. Yes, I am rather concerned about this since I wasn't expecting it at all. More than anything I'm concerned is something serious. Hopefully it isn't.

Well, they did an actual X ray of the chest but they called it "heart X-ray" and they said that looked fine. After that, they did like an ultrasound of the heart but they said that would take a few days to give me results. That was all done at my Primary Care Physician. When I went to the cardiologist, he simply reviewed the abnormal EKG and the X ray and examined me. After that he simply scheduled the Stress test. We will see how it goes on Fri. They said no irregular heart beat but I don't know what they are basing that on.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm been drinking over 128 oz of water and at least 1 Smart Water. No caffeine at all. No heart diseases in my family other than my grandfather who passed from a heart attack.

In the meantime, I've been trying not to stress although is mighty hard!

Today is weigh in and I'm super excited to see what has happened this last week. I hope to see some nice results. I will post tonight to share with you guys how I did.

Thanks again

betty_going_85 01-04-2012 08:42 AM

Thanks Deb, I'm expecting it to not be as easy as the first time so I brought along my patience and endurance.

Yes we can do this and as we get older it's important to be at a healthy weight.

Bre94 01-04-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetdulcelife (Post 15295123)
Hey guys ...

The 1st day I went to start Medi (1 week ago, tomorrow is weigh in) when they did the EKG, they told me it was abnormal. Since they told me the EKG was abnormal I've been having some discomfort on my left side (like tightness on my chest area). I went to my primary care physician today and they did another EKG. The results were abnormal again. They did a Heart X ray and that didn't show up anything bad. I also visited a Cardiologist and he reviewed all of my stuff. He said not to worry since everything sounds normal and he didn't find any irregularities other than the abnormal EKG. He said just to be sure he would do a Stress Test this upcoming Friday.

I'm 28 and have never had any heart related issues. I'm concerned about all of this and hoping is nothing serious.

I gave the cardiologist a list of all the medicines I am taking, including all of the Medi Pills and injections. For the Appetite Suppresant I am taking Stay Slim due to the abnormal EKG.

I asked the cardiologist if I should stop or address anything in regards to the pills, injections or diets. He said keep doing what you are doing and we will talk on Friday. I guess I don't have to stop anything.

MY QUESTION: Has anyone had any similar experiences? If you have heart problems, were you cleared to do Medi? How about taking the Stay Slim? and the Injections? Fat Burner? etc?

SweetDulcelife, :welcome:
Welcome and Congrats on getting through Wk 1. I had a heart attack Jan 7, 2011 and wish that I had known about and been referred to Medi at that time. But, anyway, my cardiologist happily referred me to Medi when I saw him on Nov 3, 2011. I have been 'bad':yummy: the last three weeks, but, getting back on track to accomplish this thing and become a new ME in 2012. I don't think that I can afford to continue to go to the clinic every week as I have upped my plans to retire sooner and will be putting all extra moneys towards that. Must find out if I can buy the supplements without paying the weekly fee. And, if anyone is doing it on their own and have found good supplements info, please share that. Thanks

Hang in there and keep up the good work.

Bre

Bre94 01-04-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fit2010 (Post 15295366)
Sweet - I can tell that you are very concerned about this, as you should be. I'm a nurse and I have mitral valve prolapse that was diagnosed when I was 29 and pregnant, but if they had suspected that on you that would have probably done a 2D echocardiogram (sonogram), perhaps that is what you mean by a "heart xray". I'm wondering if you have a prolonged QT interval or if you have an irregular heartbeat....then if the irregularity is atrial or ventricular. Ask questions. If it ends up being MVP that is no big deal really. In ANY case, make sure that you are drinking ALL your water and that you have at least one Smart Water-like electrolyte drink daily, also that you take your MWL vits. One thing that can make you feel symptoms of MVP is dehydration, or extra weight gain....it has to do with pumping the blood around and if some blood leaks back into the area it was just pumped out of then you can feel slight shortness of air, tired, and for some people slight pain....but it is not from "blockage" like people get from coronary artery disease. Until Friday, if I were you, I'd lay low on the increased caffiene. MVP has a heriditary component to it and about 1/3 of all women have it. Perhaps you can check about the women in your family. Make sure the cardiologist gives you the okay to be on the Fat Burners. I have been on Atenolol (heart med) for over 15 years now and I was okay to be on the regular AS and Fat Burners because Atenolol helps prevent my heart from racing and skipping beats. Hope this helps. Definitely get it all checked out and let us know! Thinking of you!

Fit, thanks for that info. I too have MVP and have never had a breakdown of info like this. Dehydration is something that I notice right away and must address it or feel like a mangy dog.

sweetdulcelife 01-04-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bre94 (Post 15296773)
SweetDulcelife, :welcome:
Welcome and Congrats on getting through Wk 1. I had a heart attack Jan 7, 2011 and wish that I had known about and been referred to Medi at that time. But, anyway, my cardiologist happily referred me to Medi when I saw him on Nov 3, 2011. I have been 'bad':yummy: the last three weeks, but, getting back on track to accomplish this thing and become a new ME in 2012. I don't think that I can afford to continue to go to the clinic every week as I have upped my plans to retire sooner and will be putting all extra moneys towards that. Must find out if I can buy the supplements without paying the weekly fee. And, if anyone is doing it on their own and have found good supplements info, please share that. Thanks

Hang in there and keep up the good work.

Bre

Thank you! I'm sorry to hear about your Heart Attack but I am glad you are doing well now. I am very happy to know that many cardiologists seem to be okay with the Medi Diet. The cardiologist I went to yesterday just seemed kinf of hmmm not very informative so I was wondering. LOL

Thanks again!

mzthang581 01-04-2012 10:23 AM

I was a bad girl :o this past week with New Years and my anniversary all falling with 3 days of each other. I think I'm gonna do week 1 until my weigh in Monday to get back on track!

Swirveegrl 01-04-2012 12:58 PM

Happy to see how busy this board is. "It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life, and I'm feeling good :) " I wanted to drop in and say hello, and remind you that this is your chance for a new beginning. I will post more when I'm not at the office :)

sweetdulcelife 01-04-2012 03:47 PM

Starting week 2
 
I AM SO EXCITED TO BE FINISHED WITH WEEK 1. WOO HOO! Went for my weigh in today and I am down 8 lbs. I am very happy about that.

Now, what I am really thrilled about is the fact that I get to have fruits and veggies! YUMMY! I've been dreaming of vegetable medley, mushrooms, raspberries, etc. I am in heaven!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:05 PM.