Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Anyone with TOM issues? Is it from WOE? Ladies only (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/741516-anyone-tom-issues-woe-ladies-only.html)

jbjb93 10-19-2011 07:10 AM

Anyone with TOM issues? Is it from WOE? Ladies only

Hi All!

I am having my first TOM since starting MWL (in wk 7, at that time in life where TOM comes and goes). It is really rough - very painful and VERY heavy. Stayed home Monday, but I finally called the dr yesterday.

(Sorry for the history, but it plays a part)

Gyno blamed everything on fast weight loss and thyroid. I have hoshimotos and am on synthroid. But I have had thyroid issues for the past 36 years - and have no other symptoms of thyroid changes. They did a blood test and told me to take ibeprofin (can't do hormones of any kind to stop the bleeding, pulmonary embolism in the past). Scheduled a ultrasound for Friday and followup visit next Tuesday. (She also tried to lecture that I wasn't getting enough calories)

I wasn't happy with the 'go home and wait' response - didn't indicate if there was a concern, what if it gets worse, etc. Called my regular DO (who I really like) and they sent me for an ultrasound yesterday. Told me to keep feet up today.

Concern also because I had major pain issues last year that they were never able to diagnose. 4 ultrasounds and exploratory surgery (dr thought endo but none found)

Has anyone else had major TOM issues? Possible that it is from WOE?

Thanks for reading my looooong post! (and yes, going to find a new gyno)

christyran1228 10-19-2011 08:02 AM

I'm on BCP, and on my 3rd day on the diet (1st day in ketosis, coincidence?) I started a week early, and it lasted 2 days longer than normal. Then I started again 2 weeks after that for another 7 days.

I called my GYN because I was concerned whether my BCP were still protecting me, and she said it's normal when you have such a drastic change in diet and to just keep on my pill schedule and it should straightened itself out. Now I've totally gone without for 6 weeks.

I've done a lot of Googling, though, and I've read a lot of women seem to have similar issues as you are when they start a low-carb diet.

I hope it straightens itself out for you soon and that it's nothing more serious!

Monkey Junkie 10-19-2011 10:47 AM

Really not an issue but next week will be my first week on Medi during that TOM. I have noticed this week that I am spotting some, so I'm glad to know it's just not me. Phew! Thanks for posting!!

betty_going_85 10-20-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbjb93 (Post 15101274)
Hi All!

I am having my first TOM since starting MWL (in wk 7, at that time in life where TOM comes and goes). It is really rough - very painful and VERY heavy. Stayed home Monday, but I finally called the dr yesterday.

(Sorry for the history, but it plays a part)

Gyno blamed everything on fast weight loss and thyroid. I have hoshimotos and am on synthroid. But I have had thyroid issues for the past 36 years - and have no other symptoms of thyroid changes. They did a blood test and told me to take ibeprofin (can't do hormones of any kind to stop the bleeding, pulmonary embolism in the past). Scheduled a ultrasound for Friday and followup visit next Tuesday. (She also tried to lecture that I wasn't getting enough calories)

I wasn't happy with the 'go home and wait' response - didn't indicate if there was a concern, what if it gets worse, etc. Called my regular DO (who I really like) and they sent me for an ultrasound yesterday. Told me to keep feet up today.

Concern also because I had major pain issues last year that they were never able to diagnose. 4 ultrasounds and exploratory surgery (dr thought endo but none found)

Has anyone else had major TOM issues? Possible that it is from WOE?

Thanks for reading my looooong post! (and yes, going to find a new gyno)

It was 2 years since I had my cycle and I got it within the first 4 weeks of the diet. I then googled low-carb diets and periods and found a lot of discussion about this. It's definitely related to the diet

mochachick316 11-20-2011 02:07 PM

I am in my sixth week of the diet and when I had my first TOM on the plan, it lasted a whole month! My gyno said the same thing about the weight loss.